Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Head transplant' surgeon reveals progress

UM-Bot

This guy is a head case!

• Like 4

This Sergio Canavero person simply gives me the creeps. It's one thing experimenting on poor mice, but to experiment this spinal procedure on dogs ?....well, this is where animal welfare needs to step in.

• Like 1

Within a hundred years they will probably figure out how to transfer conciseness from one body to another.    

• Like 1

Why would you want to transfer conciseness? Why not transfer other qualities, kindness for example, or politeness.

• Like 1

We grow as a body evolving to change. Inheriting a body would require a lot of cognitive remapping. Living with inherent limitations would be challenging as would the stigma of a kind of frankenstein. Mary Shelley's novel ended rather tragically. Will it be repeated or completely rewritten.

Considering how many operations I've had and my back issues, which can't be fixed and will only get worse, this operation is sounding more appealing.

BTW - Is this the same surgeon who had a human subject that he was going to perform the operation on?

Addition

OK = Now that I read the article that's linked, this is all BS.  PEG is a solvent, not a glue or plastic.  It's used in antifreeze for cars and deicing solutions for planes.  It's even used as a laxative. PEG is used to make the glue that sticks toilet paper and paper towels to the core with CMC (carboxymethyl cellulose).  The glue needs to be able to dry.  Something it won't be able to do in human body.  Even if the "glue" is dryer with some sort of a dryer, the glue is water soluble.  Now he may be making a polymer out of the PEG.  PEG is used in the manufacture of polyester resins and soda bottles.  There's no way in hell that straight PEG is being used as a glue. 

Edited by paperdyer
Added Addition

This guy's a quack and running a cruel scam by giving false hope to millions of people suffering from spinal cord injuries.  No one has ever demonstrated an ability to repair a severed spinal cord with current tech.  I can only think he's trying to work a scam somehow...maybe looking for investors to steal from or something.

1 hour ago, paperdyer said:

OK = Now that I read the article that's linked, this is all BS.  PEG is a solvent, not a glue or plastic.  It's used in antifreeze for cars and deicing solutions for planes.  It's even used as a laxative. PEG is used to make the glue that sticks toilet paper and paper towels to the core with CMC (carboxymethyl cellulose).  The glue needs to be able to dry.  Something it won't be able to do in human body.  Even if the "glue" is dryer with some sort of a dryer, the glue is water soluble.  Now he may be making a polymer out of the PEG.  PEG is used in the manufacture of polyester resins and soda bottles.  There's no way in hell that straight PEG is being used as a glue. 

Yeah, one would think that stem cell research and application would be more promising than a "glue" of sorts. Even that's a stretch though as there are two people involved in the process.

Edited by WoIverine

Why does the name Nancy Pelosi keep coming up in my mind?

Edited by The Silver Thong

3 hours ago, Trenix said:

Poor mice. Why doesn't this guy attempt to cut his own head off. World would be a better place.

Assuming that his claims of actually successfully reattaching the heads of mice are true, it is people like him that make breakthroughs in science. Set aside your emotions for a moment and just think about the implications of his progress.

• Like 1

This is one way to combat obesity.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2017 at 7:20 AM, Astra. said:

This Sergio Canavero person simply gives me the creeps. It's one thing experimenting on poor mice, but to experiment this spinal procedure on dogs ?....well, this is where animal welfare needs to step in.

I agree but this kind of research PALES in comparison to what is being done with genetic modifications.  I think that under the radar, human chimeras are being attempted.  Genetic alterations that would enhance muscle strength, vision, hearing by inserting animal or insect DNA.  If it's real, it is an abomination.

• Like 1