Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"City of Giants" Discovered in Ethiopia

Essan

2 hours ago, NightScreams said:

I believe there is a tribe in Africa where the average person is 7 ft tall. I can imagine historically, these people would be considered giants.

Tutsi I believe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plato Thornton said:

Amusing? Yes ludicrous? Maybe but lets be honest govt. Around the world hide stuff regularly so why wouldn't this be hidden? You should look into the history of the Smithsonian institute and tell me aftwords that at the least some stuff is shady. Not saying there was giants or not just saying dont blindly denie something because it seems unbelievable. This world is much more mysterious than one could believe

Welcome to UM, Plato, if we haven't met already. My apologies straight out if I come across a bit rough but...

Yes, amusing. The charges against the Smithsonian are popular among the fringe and a known hoax. Fringies like to use the Smithsonian as a convenient, all-purpose boogyman the same way fringies like to pick on Zahi Hawass for Egyptology.

I work at two world-class museums and am intimately familiar with their collections. The Field Museum alone has practically countless human remains (and parts thereof)...but no giants and nothing to hide. Do we keep some stuff out of the public eye? Yes, all museums do—because there's simply never enough space to display everything. Fringies who make such claims don't understand how such huge museums really work. Places like the Field Museum and Smithsonian regularly assist in law enforcement and spearhead all avenues of scientific research. And scientists and researchers the world over come to them to study the collections. Most of the collections they study are behind th scenes, so as not to disturb public displays.

8 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

That's all back to earth's fault. It's the way his mind works. No apologies necessary.

I'm not certain what you mean by "Ancient Earth," which could cover all sorts of things. But if there's something in particular you'd like to discuss, please feel free to start a new thread.

Indeed , I am totally into ancient earth  !  

Related image

'The Organ Pipes '  Gawler Craton , South Australia . 

(   back to earth's fault  ......     ;)   ) 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 5:22 AM, Wendigo Wangs said:

Judge me how you will.  The fact that you are openly ridiculing other ideas from a (moderator) position of power lends credence to the so called fringers more so than it does your own ideas.

Ohhhh    dont worry about him    ....... 

<  wait for it  > 

' He is 'armless       .....

Spoiler

Image result for mummy

drum.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Tutsi I believe

No, thats what Flinders Petrie   wore . 

• Like 1

The idea of stones too large for man to move or lift is ludicrous, with so many examples to the contrary. The largest stone in the Western Wall in Jerusalem weighs five hundred and seventy tons. It was moved in historic times, no giants needed.

8 minutes ago, back to earth said:

No, thats what Flinders Petrie   wore . 

Here are some very early tall Australian  'immigrants '    ....  I wonder where they came from  ?

Image result for very tall australian aborigines

and at the other end of the scale  ;

If the  brownish coloured  'rain forest pygmy ' met the  tall , 'indigo black' desert people , they might call them giants . 

• Like 1

THE VANISHING TRIBE OF THE WEST KIMBERLEY

The Yawijibaya people, reported to be ‘giants of the north’ stood up to 7ft tall and were of superior physical makeup. They lived on the High Cliffy Islands near Montgomery Reef in the West Kimberley, subsisting off the rich marine ecosystem of the area. Soon after this footage was captured in 1929 the tribe of 300 people disappeared without a trace. Another facet of Western Australia’s fascinating history.

https://aboriginalheritagewa.com/2016/02/29/the-vanishing-tribe/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, back to earth said:

THE VANISHING TRIBE OF THE WEST KIMBERLEY

The Yawijibaya people, reported to be ‘giants of the north’ stood up to 7ft tall and were of superior physical makeup. They lived on the High Cliffy Islands near Montgomery Reef in the West Kimberley, subsisting off the rich marine ecosystem of the area. Soon after this footage was captured in 1929 the tribe of 300 people disappeared without a trace. Another facet of Western Australia’s fascinating history.

https://aboriginalheritagewa.com/2016/02/29/the-vanishing-tribe/

Shame, I wonder what if any evidence shows why they may have disappeared.

On 6/17/2017 at 5:27 AM, Essan said:

A forgotten city thought to date back as far as the 10th century AD has been uncovered by a team of archaeologists in eastern Ethiopia.

Artefacts from Egypt, India and China have been found in the city in the Harlaa region.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40301959

Okay, this is basically just an interesting archaeological discovery.   So why post it here?   Well, one comment in the BBC report caught my eye: "there was a local myth that the area was occupied by giants because the settlement buildings and walls were constructed with large stone blocks that could not be lifted by ordinary people "

How often have we heard that?!   Such stories about more ancient ruins have, on more than one occasion, been used as "evidence" either that there really were "giants" living on Earth a few thousand years ago, or that some ancient cities were built by people or aliens using advanced technology ...

Here though, we have a clear example of how such stories should not be give any credence whatsoever, since we know all about the ordinary humans who built and lived in this city and traded across the Indian Ocean and beyond 1,000 years ago.

Basically I think that this place was a hub of different races and cultures. Back in those days most people were shorter that wrote about giants. Being a giant or a dwarf is a matter of opinion. What's a literal giant, it is just someone who stands taller than most of my own race.

City of Giants could also mean the city was full of intellectual giants too. It would be a fitting name for such a hub of different culture coming together that included some taller races. 

The myths were probably just exaggerations of encounters with taller people not really as tall as they  appeared to a short person. 

Edited by White Unicorn