Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"City of Giants" Discovered in Ethiopia

Essan

I'm not convinced of giants until the discovery of giant toiletries,  pulleys don't make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Essan said:

A forgotten city thought to date back as far as the 10th century AD has been uncovered by a team of archaeologists in eastern Ethiopia.

Artefacts from Egypt, India and China have been found in the city in the Harlaa region.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40301959

Okay, this is basically just an interesting archaeological discovery.   So why post it here?   Well, one comment in the BBC report caught my eye: "there was a local myth that the area was occupied by giants because the settlement buildings and walls were constructed with large stone blocks that could not be lifted by ordinary people "

How often have we heard that?!   Such stories about more ancient ruins have, on more than one occasion, been used as "evidence" either that there really were "giants" living on Earth a few thousand years ago, or that some ancient cities were built by people or aliens using advanced technology ...

Here though, we have a clear example of how such stories should not be give any credence whatsoever, since we know all about the ordinary humans who built and lived in this city and traded across the Indian Ocean and beyond 1,000 years ago.

Ethiopia and The book of Enoch which they hold dear there,   talks about the giants. People say that it was not included in the bible because history is hidden from us.

Historically people were shorter than today, so giants were probably just encounters with people very tall but within known human limits (equivalent to George Mureasan, Shaq, etc.)

Anyway the city is interesting discovery

Yes and interesting discovery. I'm 6'2" and the first time I went to Sweden I found it very strange to be be a rather short person there, I had been the tallest person in my HS (in Hawaii) and it was a bit disorienting to have lots of women taller than me wandering about! In that instance I understand how shorter people might label anyone taller than them 'giants'.

As noted if there were tribes of giants (9-25+ footers) we should have no problem finding giant housing, tools and of course skeletons. The fantastical stories about every government in the world hiding them is both ludicrous and amusing

• Like 5

1. I've often wondered why most Cathedral doors are 4 to 6 metres high.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Yes and interesting discovery. I'm 6'2" and the first time I went to Sweden I found it very strange to be be a rather short person there, I had been the tallest person in my HS (in Hawaii) and it was a bit disorienting to have lots of women taller than me wandering about! In that instance I understand how shorter people might label anyone taller than them 'giants'.

As noted if there were tribes of giants (9-25+ footers) we should have no problem finding giant housing, tools and of course skeletons. The fantastical stories about every government in the world hiding them is both ludicrous and amusing

Does this mean that my government never sanctioned or approved my  childhood fairy tale books    !    :o

( I never knew my Parents were rad commie  subversives )

That sucks .... all those fond memories I had ......   

Image result for little golden books jack the giant killer

Jack kills Cormoran with a pick-axe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spud the mackem said:
  1. I've often wondered why most Cathedral doors are 4 to 6 metres high.

So the guy with the big hat can get through

Related image

also there is this  to fit through as well

Image result for priest procession  under canopy

This is a relic from the past, when Father O'Flattery point blank refused to get out of his 4 poster bed on Sunday  mornings to say early mass .   They came up with a way to fix that ... and it ended up a tradition. 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 9

The same has been said of the large blocks of masonry in Egypt. This is generally told by folks with little knowledge of Egypt and even less of human evolution—the fringe and/or New Age crowd. But even the ancients said this of Mycenae, because those huge stone blocks couldn't be lifted by humans. So, you see? It's a myth stretching from ancient times to modern.

As for the modern fringe types, they never can seem to find any credible or useful evidence to support the idea, so I agree with the earlier comment that their standard reply is that the government/universities/archaeologists/et cetera are hiding "THE TRUTH" from us. Goodness.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

so I agree with the earlier comment that their standard reply is that the government/universities/archaeologists/et cetera are hiding "THE TRUTH" from us.

Well when I was working at 'universities' I hid the truth, truly I did, for at my desk, or more properly under it, I had a large box of giant finger bones which I showed to no one. I swept the lands around where I lived and pulverized giant teeth, pottery, helmets and the odd small hamlets on an hourly basis...... okay okay okay I didn't really do that but why do the fringe get to be the only people to make up silly stuff?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Well when I was working at 'universities' I hid the truth, truly I did, for at my desk, or more properly under it, I had a large box of giant finger bones which I showed to no one. I swept the lands around where I lived and pulverized giant teeth, pottery, helmets and the odd small hamlets on an hourly basis...... okay okay okay I didn't really do that but why do the fringe get to be the only people to make up silly stuff?

You are more than welcome to join the parade of fringe folly. All that is required is a big imagination, a rudimentary knowledge of history and science, the ability to twist basic facts into nonsense, and an old can of chili with an Atlantean spirit trapped in it.

Do you fit any of these criteria?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

You are more than welcome to join the parade of fringe folly. All that is required is a big imagination, a rudimentary knowledge of history and science, the ability to twist basic facts into nonsense, and an old can of chili with an Atlantean spirit trapped in it.

Do you fit any of these criteria?

Yes and I have a well-adapted ability to deny anything! Denial is one of the main weapons of the fringe, that along with connecting dots, believing personal incredulity produces facts and that all academia is in on the the 'fix'.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Yes and I have a well-adapted ability to deny anything! Denial is one of the main weapons of the fringe, that along with connecting dots, believing personal incredulity produces facts and that all academia is in on the the 'fix'.

You're most right, of course. I left out that one. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

We might also add that it takes a certain amount of crazy. I know, that describes a lot of us here already (surely myself included), but it's a very special kind of crazy.

• Like 2

Wait !    Are you guys thinking about leaving 'The Cabal'   !    :angry:   

Spoiler

S.   " Procul, O procul este profani!  " 

[He performs the Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. He next lights the hell-broth.]

" Even as the traitor's breath
Goeth forth, he perisheth
By the secret sibilant word that is spoken unto death.
Even as the profane hand
Reacheth to the sacred sand,
Fire consumes him that his name be forgotten in the land.
Even as the wicked eye
Seeks the mysteries to spy,
So the blindness of the gods takes his spirit: he shall die.
Even as the evil priest,
Poisoned by the sacred feast,
Changes by its seven powers to the misbegotten beast:
Even as the powers of ill,
Broken by the wanded will,
Shriek about the holy place, vain and vague and terrible:
Even as the lords of hell,
Chained in fires before the spell,
Strain upon the sightless steel, break not fetters nor compel:

So be distant, O profane!
Children of the hurricane!
Lest the sword of fire destroy, lest the ways of death be plain!
So depart, and so be wise,
Lest your perishable eyes
Look upon the formless fire, see the maiden sacrifice!
So depart, and secret flame
Burnt upon the stone of shame,
That the holy ones may hear music of the sleepless Name!
Holy, holy, holy spouse
Of the sun-engirdled house,
With the secret symbol burning on thy  brows!
Even as the traitor's breath
Goeth forth, he perisheth
By the secret sibilant word that is spoken unto death.

winged-skull-forehead-tattoo.jpg

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

Ha! There is no leaving the Cabal! Once a member, always a member. The only way out is burial. Mummification included.

• Like 3

The worst part is    thou shalt be condemned to ever wearing  .....  < shudder >   ..... 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQosxC_Aweu66cRaK2pOqP

On June 18, 2017 at 10:42 PM, back to earth said:

The worst part is    thou shalt be condemned to ever wearing  .....  < shudder >   ..... 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQosxC_Aweu66cRaK2pOqP

What of it, bub? It looks just like my exercise apparel. All the fashionable mummies dress like that.

• Like 1

Probably in 1000 years people discussing such finds will not say, "These blocks are so big, the people that lived here must have been giants.", instead they will say, "These blocks are so big, the people that lived here must have been superheros.". 

The only evidence is the size of the blocks? Pretty slim evidence there. Local people must still be a pretty undereducated superstitious lot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Probably in 1000 years people discussing such finds will not say, "These blocks are so big, the people that lived here must have been giants.", instead they will say, "These blocks are so big, the people that lived here must have been superheros.". 

The only evidence is the size of the blocks? Pretty slim evidence there. Local people must still be a pretty undereducated superstitious lot.

Just the local people? Have you seen the "giants" debates at UM? And all over the internet? I have a two-part article about the subject on my blog, and people who are angered by my refutations continue to leave biting comments. Critical thinking, people? Is critical thinking a dying (or dead) practice?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Just the local people? Have you seen the "giants" debates at UM? And all over the internet? I have a two-part article about the subject on my blog, and people who are angered by my refutations continue to leave biting comments. Critical thinking, people? Is critical thinking a dying (or dead) practice?

I've seen many of the debates/threads. :blink: It is crazy that people just completely dismiss scientific principles, just so their beliefs will not be challenged.

I think a great many people are being undereducated, even here in the US, Japan, and Europe.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I tend to think critically.

Critically thinking of the Academic orthodoxic cabal who in collusion with the Smithsonian Institute have destroyed or hidden evidence that is contrary to their accepted paradigm. The idea a race of giants could have completed those megalithic structures rather than humans, indicating a race other than Homo Sapiens with potentially superior knowledge is an affront to their ego.

23 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

I tend to think critically.

Critically thinking of the Academic orthodoxic cabal who in collusion with the Smithsonian Institute have destroyed or hidden evidence that is contrary to their accepted paradigm. The idea a race of giants could have completed those megalithic structures rather than humans, indicating a race other than Homo Sapiens with potentially superior knowledge is an affront to their ego.

Bah!

You're treading a thin line, sir. Be careful. I will dispatch the black helicopters.

And it's "Cabal"...always with a capital "C."

Postscript: The Smithsonian is hiding nothing. We moved it all to a secret location. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must make more space in my closet.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 10:24 AM, Hanslune said:

Sounds like I need to make a trek to Sweden. 

On 6/17/2017 at 9:24 AM, Hanslune said:

... In that instance I understand how shorter people might label anyone taller than them 'giants'...

Well, yes, that's how I generally view other people. I'm all of 5'4."

But I'd be somewhat tall thousands of years ago, at leasing in the Middle East. The average man was around 5'2" and the average woman 4'10."

This business with "ancient giants" is a mixture of misinterpreting pictorial artwork, misunderstanding ancient textual evidence, and not understanding the nature of real archaeological evidence and the realities of human evolution.

• Like 2