Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nanny sought for 'haunted' house

Still Waters

A Borders couple are offering £50,000 a year for a nanny - but the successful candidate must be prepared to face potential "supernatural incidents".

Five nannies in the past year have blamed their departure on spooky happenings in the "haunted" house.

The alleged incidents have included strange noises and moving furniture.

The family have not experienced any "supernatural happenings" themselves but are happy to pay above the asking rate to find the right person.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-40272554

• Like 7

I suspect the nannies were probably aware of the home's reputation and allowed their imaginations to take over from there. That, or they were victims of some very clever and mischievous children.

• Like 6

I'm far more troubled by the idea of hiring strangers to raise my children than any potential haunting...

What an alien concept that is to me. 

• Like 8

I wouldn't give a dam how haunted that place is people can make bank living in luxury at that place

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adampadum123 said:

I wouldn't give a dam how haunted that place is people can make bank living in luxury at that place

I totally agree. If you can stand kids, I would think that would be a killer job. Key point... IF YOU CAN STAND KIDS forget the paranormal stuff. I can live with paranormal stuff as long as it's not deadly or debilitating.

• Like 3

It's probably the kids driving away the nannies with hopes that their parents will have to spend more time with them. Very sad. Poor kids.

• Like 4

What if the rich people were making the creepy stuff happen for there own amusement maybe that's why they pay so much money.they probably get all there rich friends toegther an bet money on how long they will last I bet there's hidden cameras an everything or maybe I just over thought it lol.good idea for a movie or book hmmm 

• Like 4

Ordinary suggestion, expectancy, motivation, and even a mild suggestive state of hypnosis are all conditions that can set us up to experience this kind of event. Establish the proper conditions and the stage is set.

If you can afford a nanny with that salary then surely you can afford to set up some cctv around the house and find out what's going on?

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 2

I've all ready had my CRB check for my job I'm in now ....... I wonder if they want a bloke nanny, a manny lol

• Like 3

The family have not experienced any "supernatural happenings" themselves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-40272554

LOL,...ah, the lovely little cherubs have nothing to do with this!!!

I would take the job, and I can guarantee once the children have grown up and move home, the "haunting`s" will stop. ;)

• Like 2

On 6/18/2017 at 5:39 AM, Adampadum123 said:

What if the rich people were making the creepy stuff happen for there own amusement maybe that's why they pay so much money.they probably get all there rich friends toegther an bet money on how long they will last I bet there's hidden cameras an everything or maybe I just over thought it lol.good idea for a movie or book hmmm 

I have the same suspicions.  Too convenient that the owners haven't noticed a haunting that has driving away 5 nannies. No comment on what the kids saw or didn't see, either. Would make for a good book plot, though. 

• Like 2

On 2017-6-17 at 5:06 PM, quiXilver said:

I'm far more troubled by the idea of hiring strangers to raise my children than any potential haunting...

What an alien concept that is to me. 

Hiring babysitters is fairly standard practice the world over.

AT £50k if it was stuffed to the gunnels with spooks I'm not sure that I would give a monkeys! Where do I apply?!:D

Edited by Danny Richard

7 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Hiring babysitters is fairly standard practice the world over.

Yup.  That standard practice is alien to me. 

And to conflate Sitters and Nannies seems a real stretch.  Pretty clear distinction between a Sitter who comes for a couple hours occasionally and Nannies, hired to a full time position of daily surrogate parenting rather than an occasional visitor/sitter.

We used a sitter on two occasions while our son was younger.   We realized both times afterwards, that we prefer to be together, rather than go off and be without him, so we didn't go in for sitters either here.

As for standard practices... there is just no gravity in that at all. 

There are countless standards in societies the world over.... countless variations of standards.

RJ Krishnamurti put it succinctly:

"It is no good thing to be well adjusted to a sick society."

It's just alien to me.  I know my wife and I inhabit a fringe element and I'm good with it, it's natural for us.  We've never danced with joy when Summer vacation is over and school is starting either.  Which is pretty standard among our other friends with kids.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 7:57 AM, Still Waters said:

A Borders couple are offering £50,000 a year for a nanny - but the successful candidate must be prepared to face potential "supernatural incidents".

Five nannies in the past year have blamed their departure on spooky happenings in the "haunted" house.

I'm amazed that someone who can pay that much for a nanny cannot seem to hire someone as smart as people on the internet. Who'd a thought all five would not suspect the children. Who'd a thought all five would not be highly motivated enough to keep such a sweet job.

Hey, maybe this is just like Home Alone II but with Nannies and dumber parents (but know how to make a lot of money despite being dumb) who come home every night and are clueless?

Edited by OrdinaryClay