Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nerds are imprisoning us

Ravenharp

Isn't this just blaming a problem on a group of people? I wonder how this topic would change if we replaced the word "Nerds" which is basically grouping people by stereotyping them with another coined term for a specific group of people? OP reads like hate propaganda to me but because of the context is perceived as light hearted.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

Isn't this just blaming a problem on a group of people? I wonder how this topic would change if we replaced the word "Nerds" which is basically grouping people by stereotyping them with another coined term for a specific group of people? OP reads like hate propaganda to me but because of the context is perceived as light hearted.

Well yeah. It's old trolling thing from early days of the internet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

We're enslaving ourselves with countless distractions and turning our brains off. 

Yes and no. There are countless new app and devices which can distract - or aid - us. It all depends of what you do with them.

Some people can use them as a tool; others become infatuated with them.

Myself, I like technology and use it when able... but always ensure it never disables me. For example, I still try to remember phone numbers and email addys. I still know how to research using books and a public library. I still know how to learn.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who suffers from a disability that prevents them from getting a driver's license (let alone drive a vehicle). I welcome the future of self-driving cars because it allows me 'freedoms' that I currently lack.  I either have to live with other people (currently still living at home with my parents), live in the city (which I don't want to do), or pay shady apps like Uber/Lyft (rely on taxi drivers) which would be a drain on income that I would rather be saving for other things.

The other stuff I can see myself slightly agreeing with you, but they aren't as bad as you making them out to be. Some things are dumb, and scam-my though, like this device for example which I question why it even exists in the first place.

Warning: The commentator has slightly NSFW commentary, but it's a given with how evil this product he's commentating about is, and his style.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2017 at 6:26 AM, Obviousman said:

Yes and no. There are countless new app and devices which can distract - or aid - us. It all depends of what you do with them.

Some people can use them as a tool; others become infatuated with them.

Myself, I like technology and use it when able... but always ensure it never disables me. For example, I still try to remember phone numbers and email addys. I still know how to research using books and a public library. I still know how to learn.

Not to mention how to use a road map. Garmins and the like are very handy, no doubt about it. But, when I'm on a road trip I want an actual map. There are too many times when we want to make a detour and it annoys the crap out of me with the "recalculating" bs. I like the overview having an actual map gives me.

We aren't always going from point A to B and there are many interesting ways to go.