Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Google Owned 23andMe Is Terrifying

Farmer77

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I understand what you are all saying but I'm also fairly certain we will create laws against all those actions. The great part about democracy.

We all agree those things are wrong 

Every single law we have, has been broken in the past so what will change that from happening again?  Even democracy is questioned today as to corruption.  Giving your dna to the government is scary in my mind. Just for example you oppose the government bam there is a murder and your dna is there when you might have been a thousand miles away. I know a bit extreme but......

• Like 2

I know for fact I have Cherokee ancestry on my mothers side and French Huguenot and English, but mostly Scotch-Irish(Ulstermen). I am of genetically eclectic composition. Google is a weird corporation with obsessive fingers in everybody's pie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

I know for fact I have Cherokee ancestry on my mothers side and French Huguenot and English, but mostly Scotch-Irish(Ulstermen). I am of genetically eclectic composition. Google is a weird corporation with obsessive fingers in everybody's pie.

I'm part reptilian and so are you 

https://www.quora.com/Where-do-we-get-our-reptilian-brain-from-Are-we-part-reptile-And-do-we-have-reptilian-genes

• Like 3

Or reptiles are part human ;)  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Essan said:

Or reptiles are part human ;)  

Na they were here first

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 2:10 PM, The Silver Thong said:

I never did put any stock in those tests. My adoption papers say I`m Scottish and Irish but who know`s and I really don`t care. My dad says he is Icelandic and my mom says she was born by the ocean :lol:. My adopted parents that is. I think they are pulling my leg but they said it with out cracking a smile <_< I did meet my biological mom a few times and she looks like a blonde haired Swedish lady. I maybe what some call a mutt. 

No baby you're not a mutt . please don't feel that way. Youre a person .not a dog (((hugs)))

I'm so sorry . But my daughter was taken from me last year. Someone made a mutt comment about her . 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2017 at 10:09 AM, The Silver Thong said:

Na they were here first

WOWWWW DANG. that blew my mind.

• Like 1

No need to be so cautious about giving up your DNA.  What happens when they send your blood to a lab?  There could already be a massive database of collected DNA and things like 23 & Me are just a way to leave no stone unturned.  The same for the push to get everyone vaccinated for something.  Our correspondence is already monitored.  If I so much as mention something in an email I'm suddenly bombarded with ads on every website.  I told someone I had a sore shoulder and the next time I looked at YouTube there were several videos showing me how to treat it.  So don't think you can keep "them" from getting your DNA if they really want it.  Most of us use cards or our phones to pay for everything so we leave a trail of where we've been, what we do, what we eat, a complete profile.  The irony is that every time we go to the doctor we have to sign a paper saying we've been promised privacy.  It doesn't exist anymore.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2017 at 3:36 AM, Future ghost said:

I would never do this. The less people know about me the better.

It's so much harder to sustain such level of privacy these days. One company i worked for before this rapid growth of social media networks and ad's haven't even get to know me privately in 5 years of being there. Right now i feel as if i am naked when i get out of my house, not to mention workplace. 

Genetic tests can solve family mysteries, such as mine: My father is from France (Nord/Pas-de-Calais region) with some Flemish, Belgian or Dutch. He spoke of Scottish ancestors who came to France in the 1700s. And he questioned any Jewish ancestors were present in his genealogical record (or Romani, one of two groups historically entered Europe). And my mother's side are Scottish, English, German, possibly Irish and definitely Cherokee with Osage, Lenni-Lenape and Shawnee in Oklahoma (part-Native American). I doubt if there's African-American in us (when slavery was practiced) or even Malay ancestors arrived in the Southeast, since the Malays under the British were transported to South Africa between the Indian and Atlantic oceans. Genetic tests like 23andMe can confirm or debunk those family mysteries.

And the sinister motive of collecting people's genetic information, used in government, health or medical insurance, public or private hires, and so on. It's an official form of racism (despite scientists claim race is a social construct, not hard biology) and eugenics to prevent certain people from living, other than limitations of their civil rights and liberties as citizens, because of their genetic makeup or biology. Now, I doubt I want 23andMe to have my or family members' genetic information being sent to the wrong hands for evil, immoral or unethical purposes. Certain genes known to cause mental disorders or physical diseases may declare a person "invalid" or "inferior", therefore denying them essential insurance. And refused employment due to being viewed as a liability in the workplace, if the person can become sick or ill later.  

I don't think I'll bother I already know as much as I need to my gt granda was french my granda was French nan was romany they traveled a bit settled in Suffolk granda went through ww1 nan was in service they had 7 sons 2 daughters the rest is history mums side I don't know a lot about apart from they were involved with employing navvies for the railways then farmed for the rest of their days and apparently I look like Sid my mums granda

I don't think I'll bother I already know as much as I need to my gt granda was french my granda was French nan was romany they traveled a bit settled in Suffolk granda went through ww1 nan was in service they had 7 sons 2 daughters the rest is history mums side I don't know a lot about apart from they were involved with employing navvies for the railways then farmed for the rest of their days and apparently I look like Sid my mums granda

I according to my grandmother's grandmother I have apache and  black foot Sioux in me as well as Spain Spanish, germanic  and north African in my ancestery.... according to  23 and me there is no indian blood anywhere in my ancestery or in my cousins. everything is either british or germanic.. I don't understand why it should  bother me, or anyone else what google knows, or thinks they know, about me and mine...... are they going to clone me from my spit? maybe they will find out that there is an anti aging gene in my blood. my blood will save mankind..... NOT

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 1:06 PM, and then said:

I'll have to take your word for it but the test claimed I had less that 1% Native American heritage and my grandmother was 50% Cherokee.  She absolutely had the facial features and coloring to validate it and her mother was actually on a reservation when she married.  She was a tiny person and very dark skinned, she didn't even have a good command of English.  But I guess that could be put down to family lore.  It came from multiple sources within my family and extended family, though.  Anyway, I'm content with my ancestry being 99% Northwestern European.  It may help explain why I hate the steamy hot summers I live in and why I sweat inordinately in them ;)

Although your grandmother may in fact be 50% Cherokee by descent, that doesn't mean 50% of her DNA matches the Cherokee population. While 50% of your DNA is inherited from each parent, that doesn't mean 50% of all DNA is inherited. Your grandmother may have inherited as little as 10% of DNA that actually specifically matches the Cherokee population. Given that, it's quite possible your grandmother was 50% Cherokee, and your DNA still only shows 1% Native American. While your ancestry may be 12.5% Native American, that doesn't mean your genes are 12.5% Native American. 

• Like 1