Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iranian missile attack on ISIS

The Caspian Hare

Iran’s military announced on Sunday that it launched several missiles into Syria, targeting Islamic State fighters in retaliation for the attacks in Tehran on June 7.

The missile strikes, which occurred on Saturday, are the first reported ground-to-ground strikes from Iran into Syria since the Arab country descended into a civil war in 2011.

“In this operation, several ground-to-ground midrange missiles were fired from IRGC bases in Kermanshah Province and targeted Takfiri forces in the Deir Ezzor region in Eastern Syria,” the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said

http://fox40.com/2017/06/18/iran-launches-missiles-into-eastern-syria/

Link with video:

https://www.rt.com/news/392940-iran-fires-missiles-syria/

Edited by The Russian Hare
add video
  • Like 5

Good deal.  ISIS gets smacked and Israel gains more knowledge on  Iran's systems.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

Iran’s military announced on Sunday that it launched several missiles into Syria, targeting Islamic State fighters in retaliation for the attacks in Tehran on June 7.

The missile strikes, which occurred on Saturday, are the first reported ground-to-ground strikes from Iran into Syria since the Arab country descended into a civil war in 2011.

“In this operation, several ground-to-ground midrange missiles were fired from IRGC bases in Kermanshah Province and targeted Takfiri forces in the Deir Ezzor region in Eastern Syria,” the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said

http://fox40.com/2017/06/18/iran-launches-missiles-into-eastern-syria/

Link with video:

https://www.rt.com/news/392940-iran-fires-missiles-syria/

Well they we're asking for it!;)

We still haven't forgot about the Tehran attacks...

• Like 3

Ummm.... I'm extremely skeptical of this claim.

Firstly; how would the Iranians know WHERE to strike ? Do they have any real-time intelligence on the ground in eastern Syria ? 

Secondly: are we really to believe that the Islamic Republican Guard have weapons that can travel around 1000Km with ANY degree of accuracy ? 

Finally, is there any independent corroboration that this event ever actually happened ? I mean.... this "missile" would have had to travel all the way across Iraq (and not far from Baghdad). Wouldn't the Americans have noticed it ? 

It's worth bearing in mind that the IRGC have a track record of making outrageous bellicose statements. (remember the fleet of boats - not submarines, but boats -  that would swarm out of underwater tunnels to attack US aircraft carriers ? Or the fantasy stealth aircraft ? )

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummm.... I'm extremely skeptical of this claim.

Firstly; how would the Iranians know WHERE to strike ? Do they have any real-time intelligence on the ground in eastern Syria ? 

Secondly: are we really to believe that the Islamic Republican Guard have weapons that can travel around 1000Km with ANY degree of accuracy ? 

Finally, is there any independent corroboration that this event ever actually happened ? I mean.... this "missile" would have had to travel all the way across Iraq (and not far from Baghdad). Wouldn't the Americans have noticed it ? 

It's worth bearing in mind that the IRGC have a track record of making outrageous bellicose statements. (remember the fleet of boats - not submarines, but boats -  that would swarm out of underwater tunnels to attack US aircraft carriers ? Or the fantasy stealth aircraft ? )

It's been corroborated publicly by at least one Israeli intelligence source. BTW, Iran absolutely has a presence in Syria, especially in Deir el-Zour, a province that the Syrian governement is working hard on recapturing from ISIS militants.

''Israel’s Channel 10, quoting an Israeli intelligence source, said the missiles were Iranian Shahab-3 medium-range ballistic missiles, with a range of 1,200 kilometers (800 miles).''

Link: http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-launches-missile-strike-into-syria-for-tehran-attacks/

Here we have a piece of footage from the moment they launched those missiles:

Edited by Be.cause

Well, the only thing that is public is the statement from the Islamic Republican Guards Corps. Everything else is un-named sources, all apparently from Israel, of all places. (how - precisely - would "Israeli Intelligence" know so much about a missile launch 1000Km away ? 

An interesting article from Haraatz... 

Iran's missile attack on Islamic State targets in Syria on Sunday was by all accounts, a resounding failure. Of the seven missiles fired at the ISIS-held Syrian town of Deir el-Zour, only two were reported to have reached their target.

Three of the rockets fell outside Syrian territory, in Iraq, while the remaining two fell somewhere inside Syria, missing their targets by many kilometers....

http://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/1.796836

An amusing story of Iranian incompetence, but.. again... how would Israeli Intelligence know WHERE missiles had landed ? It all seems suspiciously "neat and tidy" to me !

Edited by RoofGardener

11 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, the only thing that is public is the statement from the Islamic Republican Guards Corps. Everything else is un-named sources, all apparently from Israel, of all places. (how - precisely - would "Israeli Intelligence" know so much about a missile launch 1000Km away ? 

An amusing story of Iranian incompetence, but.. again... how would Israeli Intelligence know WHERE missiles had landed ? It all seems suspiciously "neat and tidy" to me !

It really isn't hard to believe. China has aided Iran with missile technology since the 90's. There was also collaboration with NK.  But we may not get all the details straight. For instance, Iran claims they used 6 Zulfiqar missiles*. The IRGC-AF reports that they successfully hit all of their targets. There is no solid, independant confirmation. In any case, all sources agree that the ballistic missiles were fired from an Iranian base. There is no reason to doubt that.

*  ''Fars News Agency also ran a headline confirming the type of missile Iran fired: the Zulfiqar. The Zulfiqar is a single-stage solid-fueled short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) that supposedly upgrades the range and accuracy of the Fateh-110 family of SRBMs. In 2012, CNN reported that the Assad regime had used the Iranian-made Fateh-110 in Syria. Unveiled at a military parade in September 2016, the Zulfiqar was first tested in the fall of 2016 [see FDD’s analysis of the first Zulfiqar missile test].''

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2017/06/iranian-media-reports-missile-strike-in-syria.php

Edited by Be.cause

51 minutes ago, Be.cause said:

......In any case, all sources agree that the ballistic missiles were fired from an Iranian base. There is no reason to doubt that.

The only sources are the Iranian Government (and the Islamic Republican Guard Corps). There is no independent confirmation of ANYTHING. 

As for reasons to doubt.. well... the original statement was made by the IRGC. They are renown for making bellicose and fantastic boasts. There is EVERY reason to doubt everything that they say. To them, "truth" is just another weapon.

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

The only sources are the Iranian Government (and the Islamic Republican Guard Corps). There is no independent confirmation of ANYTHING. 

So it goes for many things going on in Syria.

But in this case we do have a confirmation by the IDF, which seems quite credible to me:

''Last Tuesday, IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Gadi Eisenkot downplayed the significance of the missile strike, saying “the operational achievement was less than what was reported in the media.”

Source: http://www.timesofisrael.com/denying-israeli-claims-iran-insists-all-its-missiles-struck-is-targets/

Edited by Be.cause

Oooh right.. fair enough in that case @Be.cause . A number of other "reports" have come forwards since, suggesting that perhaps the Iranians DID launch missiles. However, I'm afraid I don't find any of them particularly convincing. So far it all hinges on un-named (and unofficial) "intelligence sources", and an indirect "quotation" from General Gadi Eisenkot. Except it's not a quotation.. it's a selected extract from a larger speech, and makes somewhat eliptical reference to the missiles.

These where supposed to be BALLISTIC missiles. They would have flown at high altitude over Iraq. And they didn't appear on ANY radar scopes ?

Well, that may be possible. But all in all, we don't exactly have solid , unambigous corroboration from ANY source about these missiles. So at the moment I'm suspicious.

If the Islamic Republican Guard Corps told me it was sunny outside, I wouldn't believe them until I'd checked for myself. (and even then I'd probably take an umbrella).

Edited by RoofGardener

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Oooh right.. fair enough in that case @Be.cause . A number of other "reports" have come forwards since, suggesting that perhaps the Iranians DID launch missiles. However, I'm afraid I don't find any of them particularly convincing. So far it all hinges on un-named (and unofficial) "intelligence sources", and an indirect "quotation" from General Gadi Eisenkot. Except it's not a quotation.. it's a selected extract from a larger speech, and makes somewhat eliptical reference to the missiles.

These where supposed to be BALLISTIC missiles. They would have flown at high altitude over Iraq. And they didn't appear on ANY radar scopes ?

Well, that may be possible. But all in all, we don't exactly have solid , unambigous corroboration from ANY source about these missiles. So at the moment I'm suspicious.

If the Islamic Republican Guard Corps told me it was sunny outside, I wouldn't believe them until I'd checked for myself. (and even then I'd probably take an umbrella).

But...but ....but an aggressive Iran launching missiles into the US's playground fits so well with the war monger narrative.

Huh ?

It was the Islamic Republican Guards Corps who announced the missile launch ? Surely you're not suggesting that the Islamic Guards are warmongers ? :P

• Like 1

On 6/25/2017 at 0:59 AM, RoofGardener said:

I believe that the IDF has access to US X- Band radar information.  Even without that kind of sophistication, they'd be capable of knowing where the projectiles landed, though maybe not precisely from where they launched.

The IDF has access to WHAT ? X-band radar is pretty much a "line of sight" system. (most radars are). 

Where, precisely, was this radar station situated such that it could track the landing of the missiles. (or at least... extrapolate them). 

And how come the IDF has mentioned it (supposedly, though even THAT is not yet proven), but yet the USA haven't ? 

@and then, I have to say, I'm skeptical !

286b628d87076b506a0fd9a04cad716d87e3d596

Well, perhaps I'm being premature. Time will tell :D

On 6/26/2017 at 2:47 PM, RoofGardener said:

The IDF has access to WHAT ? X-band radar is pretty much a "line of sight" system. (most radars are). 

Where, precisely, was this radar station situated such that it could track the landing of the missiles. (or at least... extrapolate them). 

And how come the IDF has mentioned it (supposedly, though even THAT is not yet proven), but yet the USA haven't ? 

@and then, I have to say, I'm skeptical !

286b628d87076b506a0fd9a04cad716d87e3d596

Well, perhaps I'm being premature. Time will tell :D

It could well have been sea based.  Iran would want to be seen as doing something strong to react to the humiliating attack on their Parliament but Israel simply made fun of their efforts.  No need for Israelis to involve themselves gratuitously.