Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkish Government destroys Anzac monument

The Caspian Hare

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11878350

An inscription honouring the dead at Anzac Cove has been removed by the Turkish Government.

The 1985 Gallipoli monument was supposed to be restored, but now the words welcoming the dead to rest on Turkish soil have disappeared.

Sources in both Australia and Turkey told the Guardian that the motivations for the "restoration" were partly political, and reflected an increasing emphasis on religion throughout history.

Historians in both countries told the Guardian that they expect the finished renovation to leave the memorial markedly different, thanks to efforts from the Turkish government of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Edrogan has been described as clinically insane.

I have seen reasons why this is more than just commentary, but I have not seen anything this creepy yet. 

Maybe we should have expected it from the guys that used to buy Oil from ISIS. 

Historical revisionism, on a "monumental" scale, is all the rage in the States, as well. Just ask the people of New Orleans.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Whoever did this is a clinical grub.

Sadly it is what it is... i.e. Turkey is fast becoming a totalitarian state.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Whoever did this is a clinical grub.

3 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Sadly it is what it is... i.e. Turkey is fast becoming a totalitarian state.

Too early to make conclusion.  There's no statement from DVA.

• Like 1

Because they'll crawl up the **** of Turkey in the name of diplomacy "It was a regretable accudent" and not "some ******s in Turkey are pushing the boundary to see how far they can go".

• Like 1

Perhaps... but, then I do wonder why Lambie, Hanson, et al have not jumped on this.

The Guardian do quote Professor Peter Stanley from ADFA.  His Twitter feed might be worth following.

There's another interesting read at Honest History:

http://honesthistory.net.au/wp/turkish-gallipoli-memorials-refurbishment-takes-out-ataturks-apocryphal-those-heroes-words-for-now-at-least/

http://honesthistory.net.au/wp/talking-turkey/

Ha son's too busy causing trouble over education and Lsmbie, if Mad As Hell is anything to go by, too busy looking for a "root".

• Like 1