Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Syrian fighter-bomber shot down by US Navy

The Caspian Hare

Wow, air-to-air kills very rare these days, I think this is first from a "Super Hornet"

http://www.france24.com/en/20170619-us-shoots-down-syrian-warplane-bombed-us-backed-fighters

A US fighter jet shot down a Syrian regime plane Sunday after it dropped bombs on American-backed forces fighting the Islamic State group in northern Syria, the US-led coalition said.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Russian Hare said:

Wow, air-to-air kills very rare these days, I think this is first from a "Super Hornet"

http://www.france24.com/en/20170619-us-shoots-down-syrian-warplane-bombed-us-backed-fighters

I was thinking the same thing.  That pilot just joined an increasingly small club of aviators.  I just hope little Vlad doesn't feel the need to up the ante.  The report said it was a Syrian aircraft but left the nationality of its pilot to our assumptions.  Russia shooting down a US aircraft would have the potential for some poor outcomes :(   Eventually, unless Iran changes its posture and goals in Syria, we will clash head to head because our policy is to stop their contiguous route into Syria from Iran.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, and then said:

I just hope little Vlad doesn't feel the need to up the ante

Russian military halts Syria sky incident prevention interactions with US as of June 19 – Moscow 

“In the areas of combat missions of Russian air fleet in Syrian skies, any airborne objects, including aircraft and unmanned vehicles of the [US-led] international coalition, located to the west of the Euphrates River, will be tracked by Russian ground and air defense forces as air targets,” the Russian Ministry of Defense stated.

Downing the military jet within Syrian airspace “cynically” violates the sovereignty of the Syrian Arab Republic, Russian military said.

The actions of the US Air Force are in fact “military aggression” against Syria, the statement adds.

• Like 1

Russia vows to shoot down all 'flying objects' in Syria after US guns down first regime warplane 

Russia has threatened to shoot down US warplanes operating in parts of Syria where its air forces operate amid a diplomatic row caused by the downing of a Syrian jet

This really freaking sucks. 

• Like 1

Russia has been threatening to shoot down missiles and planes for a while now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr.United_Nations said:

Russia has been threatening to shoot down missiles and planes for a while now. 

Have they? In Syria? I havent seen that 

• Like 1

I just heard about this from the MSM.  They make it out to be a Russian plane.  Technically it was of Russian design but was in Syrian service, so I don't take Russia's treats too serious.  The MSM once again overplays the story.

Just now, RavenHawk said:

I just heard about this from the MSM.  They make it out to be a Russian plane.  Technically it was of Russian design but was in Syrian service, so I don't take Russia's treats too serious.  The MSM once again overplays the story.

Man i think theyre underplaying the story. An invading nation just shot down an aircraft belonging to a sovereign nation  while it was bombing terrorists. Thats a huge story

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Man i think theyre underplaying the story. An invading nation just shot down an aircraft belonging to a sovereign nation  while it was bombing terrorists. Thats a huge story

That sovereign nation is a terrorist pariah in its own right.  They are a Shia vessel of Iran inside Sunni territory, in turn that supports Hezbollah and Hamas.  The nation itself has fallen into shards and will never be whole again.  Do you think the Kurds will return any of the land it has claimed?  Do you think that the majority of the population (Sunni) will allow itself to be ruled by an Alawite again?

• Like 2

Just now, RavenHawk said:

That sovereign nation is a terrorist pariah in its own right.  They are a Shia vessel of Iran inside Sunni territory, in turn that supports Hezbollah and Hamas.  The nation itself has fallen into shards and will never be whole again.  Do you think the Kurds will return any of the land it has claimed?  Do you think that the majority of the population (Sunni) will allow itself to be ruled by an Alawite again?

I find it interesting that you list all of those things as if they happened naturally on their own.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I find it interesting that you list all of those things as if they happened naturally on their own.  

No, not necessarily natural, but what do you expect?  It is the current state of things.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

So why hasn't Syria protested at the UN? Or Russia? I think secretly they want the US in order to help remove terrorists

I predicted this after we attacked that base with missiles. The Syrians and Russians aren't dealing with a limp-wristed Obamanation in Syria anymore.

• Like 3

I seriously doubt the Syrian government meant to drop bombs on U.S Forces versus dropping them on ISIS. Shooting down that aircraft just seemed a revenge gesture in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Assad still enjoys a fairly good amount of support, even among the Sunnis.

[LINK] Why Assad's Army Has Not Defected

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I seriously doubt the Syrian government meant to drop bombs on U.S Forces versus dropping them on ISIS. Shooting down that aircraft just seemed a revenge gesture in my opinion.

It's what we call unwarranted provocation, once again. The U.S. military did not even phone Russia to prevent them of their action.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

That is because they are idiots.  The Russians haven't used that model in front line service in many years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Be.cause said:

Assad still enjoys a fairly good amount of support, even among the Sunnis.

[LINK] Why Assad's Army Has Not Defected

That is very true but short sighted.  In time the family and clan ties will draw the Sunni military members back to the family.  There are millions of Sunni that oppose Assad and the Sunni members of the Syrian army can only take so much of their families being bombed by Assad.

Hmmm....... 

Strictly speaking, what is the law here ? Has the UN got a no-fly order in place in the area that the Syrian plane was operating in ? 

19 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmm....... 

Strictly speaking, what is the law here ? Has the UN got a no-fly order in place in the area that the Syrian plane was operating in ? 

I believe the justification was that the plane was bombing US allied fighters and were therefore targeted.  Not sure what charter Obama had to operate over there but it would fall under that.

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

I don't believe we have to worry too much about Putin in Syria unless we make a move toward attacking his forces intentionally.  Iran is another matter, entirely.  They want a continuous land route from their territory to northern Syria.  The US is not going to allow that and if Russia decides to engage then, oh well....  Putin will test Trump and if he senses weakness due to the turmoil caused by the Dems he might miscalculate.  Trump is NOT Obama.  Putin is not going to risk nuclear war over Syria.  Again, though, the Iranians might well do just that.

If russia targets US Super-hornets, then the russians will get a bloody nose. 

Notwithstanding, it would appear that America has no legal right to BE in Syrian airspace ? 

• Like 2

It seems that each time the Syrian Army is making important gains against ISIS or other Islamist fractions (in this case in southern Raqqa) they are getting striked ''accidentally'' or not by the U.S. Isn't that strange?

Edited by Be.cause
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Be.cause said:

It seems that each time the Syrian Army is making important gains against ISIS or other Islamist fractions (in this case in southern Raqqa) they are getting striked ''accidentally'' or not by the U.S. Isn't that strange?

Or the people get “accidentally” gassed.  These incidents don’t affect the overall picture; there aren’t enough of them.  The Syrian military is simply over stretched.  There are 150,000 active military.  W/ 250,000 reaching military age annually but the size of the army is dwindling.  It is against upward of 9,000,000.  Granted the majority of that is women and children.  The only thing keeping it balanced is that Assad commands the heavy weapons.  If the Rebels were to get stingers and laws in sufficient quantities, that would be it for Assad.