Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time does not mend a broken heart

Still Waters

Songwriters, poets and novelists have longed mused over whether time truly heals everything.

Charles Dickens toyed over whether the bitter Miss Haversham would ever recover from being jilted at the altar, and for many historians, Queen Victoria's black dress came to symbolise her irreparable suffering over Prince Albert's death.

But a new study has apparently put their agonising to bed and concluded that not even the clock can always mend a broken heart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/18/time-does-not-mend-broken-heart-scientists-find-condition-causes/

• Like 4

Perhaps not on its own, but the farther removed we are from the event that broke our heart in the first place, the more likely we are to find someone to fill that void.

• Like 4

Just now, Nonentity said:

Perhaps not on its own, but the farther removed we are from the event that broke our heart in the first place, the more likely we are to find someone to fill that void.

Yep nothing gets ya over the last one like the next one. 

• Like 5

I would say it depends on what broke your heart in the first place. 

In a broken relationship people can move on, meet someone else and perhaps end up feeling happier than they did before. The same can't be said for bereavement, the passing of time does help that but it still leaves a big hole.

• Like 4

Very interesting article. I was aware of 'broken heart syndrome' but did not know that it was so deadly, especially for women. It would make good sense for anyone (particularly those suffering from heart problems) to see a cardiologist if ever they experience extreme stress, such as that associated with the sudden death of a loved one. Time does not always heal a heart that's literally broken.

• Like 3

Losing a special person to you causes traumatic reaction that you can't ever forget, and is in your thoughts every day.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Yep nothing gets ya over the last one like the next one. 

After the last couple I figured I'd live longer if I was single.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 3