Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shootings 3rd-leading cause of death in kids

Claire.

Shootings Are Now the 3rd-Leading Cause of Death in US Kids

Gun-related injuries are now the third-leading cause of death among children ages 1 to 17 in the United States, according to a new report. The results show that almost 1,300 children in the U.S. die from gunshot wounds yearly, and an additional 5,790 children are treated for gunshot wounds and survive each year, the researchers found. The leading cause of death for this age group is unintentional injuries (other than firearm injuries), primarily due to motor vehicle crashes or drowning; the second leading cause of death for this age group is cancer, according to the CDC.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 2

The second leading cause of death for kids is cancer? :(

• Like 4

yea gangs love to recruit juveniles, 

Gangs are groups of children, adolescents and young adults who share a common identity and are involved in wrongful or delinquent activities. Most gang members tend to be adolescents or young adults, however, recent trends indicate that children are being recruited into gangs at a much earlier age, some when they are in elementary school. Traditionally, gang activity has been confined to cities but gangs are no longer just in large cities, they also exist in smaller towns and rural areas. Gangs can include people of every gender, race, culture and socioeconomic group.

Some children and adolescents are motivated to join a gang for a sense of connection or to define a new sense of who they are. Others are motivated by peer pressure, a need to protect themselves and their family, because a family member also is in a gang, or to make money.

http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/FFF-Guide/Children-and-Gangs-098.aspx

Unaccompanied minors swelling ranks of American gangs, say experts

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/15/unaccompanied-minors-swelling-ranks-american-gangs-say-experts.html

New blood: Violent gang life is passed down from parent to child

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/new-blood-violent-gang-life-passed-parent-child-article-1.295279

12-year-old arrested for murder: Why do gangs recruit children?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2015/0709/12-year-old-arrested-for-murder-Why-do-gangs-recruit-children

there is only about 700 accidental gun deaths in usa, kids and adults.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 5

Just now, aztek said:

there is only about 700 accidental gun deaths in usa, kids and adults.

I really liked what the AMA said about gun deaths in this nation ( paraphrased) : whether you think guns kill people or whether you think people with guns kill people we have a public health crisis in this country. 

Im rabidly pro 2nd amendment but that doesnt mean we should ignore the issue. IDK WTF to do about the issue but its an issue 

• Like 3

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I really liked what the AMA said about gun deaths in this nation ( paraphrased) : whether you think guns kill people or whether you think people with guns kill people we have a public health crisis in this country. 

Im rabidly pro 2nd amendment but that doesnt mean we should ignore the issue. IDK WTF to do about the issue but its an issue 

what issue?

If I had a small child I would store my guns at the gun club.

• Like 2

Just now, aztek said:

what issue?

That guns kill too many in this nation, specifically as it pertains to Claire's post 

• Like 1

Just now, The Silver Thong said:

If I had a small child I would store my guns at the gun club.

Yeah I put mine in storage when my oldest started walking and probably wont have any in the house until both kids are out of the house. 

• Like 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

That guns kill too many in this nation, specifically as it pertains to Claire's post 

too many?? i do not see it that way, we have 30k a year die from guns, half are suicides, that leaves 15k, police kills about 1500, gang violence... only in detroit they kill about 400 a year, now take all gang infested cities, you'll see gang violence kills about 400-500 in each every year.  take ny, detroit, chicago, LA, ..... and you'll see majority of intentional gun deaths are in those cities. gang shootings, mostly gang on gang.  so no even thou many die, it is mostly the right people that die, or people that made a decision to take their lives,

otoh medical mistakes kill 500k a year.  i have not seen a single thread about it, yet there are dozens of anti gun threads.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Yeah I put mine in storage when my oldest started walking and probably wont have any in the house until both kids are out of the house. 

Up here the rules state we have to have 2 locks on the gun and ammo kept seperate. The sad part is some don`t do that. If I had a child and turned my back even for a min, it could turn into a life changer and the end of a life. I always put my gun away even with friends over.

• Like 2

i keep mine in a fingerprint lock safe, the safe is bulletproof, and weight over 400lb. no one but me can open it. it is inside a walkin closet in our bedroom., no way in hell my kids, or anyone else opens it.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 7

Just now, aztek said:

too many?? i do not see it that way, we have 30k a year die from guns, half are suicides, that leaves 15k, police kills about 1500, gang violence... only in detroit they kill about 400 a year, now take all gang infested cities, you'll see gang violence kills about 400-500 in each every year.  take ny, detroit, chicago, LA, ..... and you'll see majority of intentional gun deaths are in those cities. gang shootings, mostly gang on gang.  so no even thou many die, it is mostly the right people that die, or people that made a decision to take their lives,

otoh medical mistakes kill 500k a year.  i have not seen a single thread about it, yet there are dozens of anti gun threads.

Dude you just compiled a list of preventable deaths, regardless of cause they are preventable - as in didnt have to happen. 

Like I said IDK what to do about that while maintaining our rights but im also not going to disregard the fact  that thousands die unnecessarily - regardless of whether it was their own damn fault or not. 

Man start that thread ! 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, aztek said:

i keep mine in a fingerprint lock safe, the safe is bulletproof, and weight over 400lb. no one but me can open it. it is inside a walkin closet in our bedroom., no way in hell my kids, or anyone else opens it.

I have nothing that elaborate. I have my original case I lock and a trigger lock but I have no kids.  Good job on you my man for keeping it safe...

• Like 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Dude you just compiled a list of preventable deaths, regardless of cause they are preventable - as in didnt have to happen. 

Like I said IDK what to do about that while maintaining our rights but im also not going to disregard the fact  that thousands die unnecessarily - regardless of whether it was their own damn fault or not. 

Man start that thread ! 

lol,  what do you consider a preventable death?  imo, you can only consider preventable, those that were unintentional,

suicides are not preventable, gang shootings are not preventable, self defense shootings are not preventable. accidents otoh are, but we do not have many of those.

Just now, aztek said:

lol,  what do you consider a preventable death?  imo, you can only consider preventable, those that were unintentional,

suicides are not preventable, gang shootings are not preventable, self defense shootings are not preventable. accidents otoh are, but we do not have many of those.

Suicides, gang shootings and accidents are considered preventable deaths. 

Cancer, CVA ,  sudden onset of MI  or a DVT , those are what are considered unpreventable deaths 

• Like 2

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Suicides, gang shootings and accidents are considered preventable deaths. 

by whom? you? lol

but you know what some cancers, heart issues, blood pressure..and few others issues are preventable the way i see. google major cause of those. lifestyle is the cause

Edited by aztek

Suicide is, arguably, preventable with timely intervention from people who genuinely care and have the right support mechanisms in place (and I have actually done so. If I pass from this Earth having done nothing else, I can go knowing I stopped a lad from killing themselves and putting them onto a path where they got help and got a second chance).

• Like 5

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Suicide is, arguably, preventable with timely intervention from people who genuinely care and have the right support mechanisms in place (and I have actually done so. If I pass from this Earth having done nothing else, I can go knowing I stopped a lad from killing themselves and putting them onto a path where they got help and got a second chance).

true, but it has 0 to do with guns.  

Just now, aztek said:

true, but it has 0 to do with guns.  

No more than preventing suicide has to do with trains, Valium or gas fired ovens. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

No more than preventing suicide has to do with trains, Valium or gas fired ovens. 

yes it is a mental health issue, not having a gun wont change anyone mind, my good friend's father had few dozens of guns, but he hung himself.

• Like 2

Just now, aztek said:

yes it is a mental health issue, not having a gun wont change anyone mind, my good friend's father had few dozens of guns, but he hung himself.

Same with a friend of ours two years ago. She and her husband frequently went target practicing and she hung herself. None of us had a clue. She said she wasn't feeling well and canceled about a half dozen meetings for the next few days. Then she was gone.

3 minutes ago, Sweetpumper said:

Is abortion #1?

Alot of folks call that murder. Abotion by gun, that`s gota hurt.

the article hints at same thing i said.

Prevention efforts could include tactics that researchers call "street outreach approaches," Fowler said. This means sending outreach workers to connect with young people in communities with high levels of gun violence.

they realize majority of gun violence is in few certain cultured community,

however i think it is a stupid idea to send outreach workers to gang infested areas to connect with young gangsters, they will kill those agents just to prove their worthiness to gangs.

• Like 1

I keep mine in a gun safe with a keypad combo on it.