Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wonder Woman actress paid less than Superman

Myles

Well, it is a DC movie. With their track history, they probably assumed that 300K was probably already going to be half of the profit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Not so sure about that.   Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic Park were huge.  

Yes, they were, but she is the biggest female lead right now. Sure, Pratt is an upcoming star, but J.Law is much bigger. Hence the bigger paycheck. 

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

There's one simple question that I find usually settles this: Honestly, would you rather be a man or a woman?

Oh, people will lie about this but the honest answer is that it's still 'a man's world'... it's hands down better to be male. 

That really depends on the situation. That's why I am genderfluid. I go to clubs for the ladies night, get free entry, grab a free glass of champagne, and then I flow into my male self, and check on some birds on the dance floor. B)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Yea but why? These studies never consider personal choices. Women are far less likely to work over time. Women are far less likely to take weather enduring physical jobs. Women often choose to stay home for long periods of time to birth and raise children. I don't have to look any further then my own home to understand this. I make a lot more money then my wife. I also work on average 20 more hours a week, often in less then desirable weather conditions. Women often just don't want to do what men are expected to do. At the end of the week, when both me and my wife collect our checks, and see the difference in what our week looked like, no one can say I have power over her. I make more cause of personal sacrifice. Not cause Ihave power over her.

Few more things where women have the better deal. A women gets on average 63% less jail time for the same crime as a man. Women live on average 5 years longer then men. I could go on all day.

Maybe women would be more willing to do what men are expected to do if they received equal pay?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Future ghost said:

Maybe women would be more willing to do what men are expected to do if they received equal pay?

Why quote me if you are just gonna ignore everything I said?

They would receive equal pay. Especially in my field. I work for a major construction company in NY. Most of our projects are tax payer funded. We have a quota to meet regarding hiring women, and can't fill it. Even after offering prevailing wages.

Its against the law to discriminate against women. The ONLY reason they make less is cause of personal choices. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

In many companies it's disallowed for employees to discuss what they earn with other employees. There's often no way for women (or men) to know what others earn. So, it's often not the 'personal choice' it appears to be. Since out right gender discrimination is illegal most companies most likely wouldn't advertise it.

• Like 3

Well, OBVIOUSLY Wonder Woman doesn't get paid as much as Superman.

She only has a fraction of Superman's powers !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Why quote me if you are just gonna ignore everything I said?

They would receive equal pay. Especially in my field. I work for a major construction company in NY. Most of our projects are tax payer funded. We have a quota to meet regarding hiring women, and can't fill it. Even after offering prevailing wages.

Its against the law to discriminate against women. The ONLY reason they make less is cause of personal choices. 

I didn't ignore anything you said, I just don't think it's all due to personal choices. I have never had a problem doing the kind of job men would be expected to do, in fact I liked it. Even though I made less money than the guys, it was worth it to not be stuck behind a desk. Sure, some women don't want to break a nail or get dirty or cold, but neither do some men. One guy I worked with didn't want to sweat. Ever.

The only reason I can think of as to why your company can't fill the quota is that since construction is usually always a male dominated career-- maybe women are thinking there may be some type of harassment, either sexual or discriminatory against a woman doing a mans job? I'm not saying your company does these things, just that women might be concerned enough to not apply for the job. So it might not be that women don't want to do the work, maybe they're afraid to take the job in the first place. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't know, but I don't consider feeling as though you have to pass on a job due to real or imagined fear a personal choice. A personal problem, maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Future ghost said:

I didn't ignore anything you said, I just don't think it's all due to personal choices. I have never had a problem doing the kind of job men would be expected to do, in fact I liked it. Even though I made less money than the guys, it was worth it to not be stuck behind a desk. Sure, some women don't want to break a nail or get dirty or cold, but neither do some men. One guy I worked with didn't want to sweat. Ever.

The only reason I can think of as to why your company can't fill the quota is that since construction is usually always a male dominated career-- maybe women are thinking there may be some type of harassment, either sexual or discriminatory against a woman doing a mans job? I'm not saying your company does these things, just that women might be concerned enough to not apply for the job. So it might not be that women don't want to do the work, maybe they're afraid to take the job in the first place. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't know, but I don't consider feeling as though you have to pass on a job due to real or imagined fear a personal choice. A personal problem, maybe.

Are you kidding me? Nice straw man. You completely make up a reason for why women don't want to work these types of jobs, then assume it's true. There are laws against sexual harassment. Best thing that could happen to a women is to be sexually harassed on a job. Especially in New York. They'd sue the hell out of said company and become a millionaire. There are a lot of women who work for the same company I work for. They are behind the desk. Why weren't they afraid to work with us? They deal directly with men all day long.

Choosing to not apply for a job cause of unrational, unfounded fear is most certainly a choice.

On average women just don't want to do that type of work. And I can't say I blame them. 

Edited by preacherman76

This week, various media outlets ran with the story that Gal Gadot only made $300,000 forWonder Woman, while Henry Cavill made $13 million for Man of Steel.  When I covered it yesterday, I chose to use the NY Post’s Decider coverage, because I thought they hedged really well, and they noted that it was likely Cavill made $13 million… with contractual bonuses, given how well the film performed at the box office (also known as a “backend”). Many actors have those kinds of contracts, especially for bigger films with bloated budgets. It’s not always about your salary, it’s about the size of your backend. My point is that it’s possible Gal Gadot’s salary for Wonder Woman was really $300,000, but she might have a backend deal similar to Henry Cavill. Sources pretty much said that to The Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.celeb****y.com/539954/thr_gal_gadot_henry_cavill_probably_got_paid_the_same_amount_actually/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Are you kidding me? Nice straw man. You completely make up a reason for why women don't want to work these types of jobs, then assume it's true. There are laws against sexual harassment. Best thing that could happen to a women is to be sexually harassed on a job. Especially in New York. They'd sue the hell out of said company and become a millionaire. There are a lot of women who work for the same company I work for. They are behind the desk. Why weren't they afraid to work with us? They deal directly with men all day long.

Choosing to not apply for a job cause of unrational, unfounded fear is most certainly a choice.

On average women just don't want to do that type of work. And I can't say I blame them. 

Why quote me if you're just going to misconstrue and misinterpret everything I said? Never did I say anything in my quote was a fact or assume it to be true, and I thought that was obvious by my use of words such as " maybe " and "might." I was simply trying to figure out why anyone would not even apply for a good job, especially when they're so difficult to get.

The best thing that could happen to a woman is to be sexually harassed at her job? Are you even remotely serious? You really think it would be that easy to sue the company they work for, then skip off into the sunset a millionaire? The burden of proof is the woman's responsibility, and if she can't prove it then what? It's he said/she said, and nothing is done about it. Laws don't mean anything if there's no proof a crime has been committed, which could be why women sometimes don't say anything about it at all. They just continue to go to work because they need the money, and try to ignore the grabby, drooling creep that won't leave them alone. Every day they're probably thinking," being sexually harassed is the best thing that could ever happen to me! I love my job! Can't wait for tomorrow!" Um, no. I can't even believe someone would think a comment like that has the right to come out of their mouths, let alone believe there's actual truth in it. Nice straw, indeed.

10 hours ago, Future ghost said:

Why quote me if you're just going to misconstrue and misinterpret everything I said? Never did I say anything in my quote was a fact or assume it to be true, and I thought that was obvious by my use of words such as " maybe " and "might." I was simply trying to figure out why anyone would not even apply for a good job, especially when they're so difficult to get.

The best thing that could happen to a woman is to be sexually harassed at her job? Are you even remotely serious? You really think it would be that easy to sue the company they work for, then skip off into the sunset a millionaire? The burden of proof is the woman's responsibility, and if she can't prove it then what? It's he said/she said, and nothing is done about it. Laws don't mean anything if there's no proof a crime has been committed, which could be why women sometimes don't say anything about it at all. They just continue to go to work because they need the money, and try to ignore the grabby, drooling creep that won't leave them alone. Every day they're probably thinking," being sexually harassed is the best thing that could ever happen to me! I love my job! Can't wait for tomorrow!" Um, no. I can't even believe someone would think a comment like that has the right to come out of their mouths, let alone believe there's actual truth in it. Nice straw, indeed.

That might have been the case before everyone had a recording device. Before the invention of micro cameras. Today it would be very easy to catch someone in the act. 

This is getting off topic though. Thanks for the conversation 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sweetpumper said:

It’s not always about your salary, it’s about the size of your backend. My point is that it’s possible Gal Gadot’s salary for Wonder Woman was really $300,000, but she might have a backend deal similar to Henry Cavill.

Personally, I don't think you can put a price on Gal Gadot's backend... :unsure2:

• Like 2

Just now, LV-426 said:

Personally, I don't think you can put a price on Gal Gadot's backend... :unsure2:

Finally someone makes a valid point in this thread!!!! :clap:

• Like 1