Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wonder Woman actress paid less than Superman

Myles

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/06/20/wonder-woman-actress-gal-gadot-earned-less-than-superman-star-henry-cavill.html

What’s the difference between Superman and Wonder Woman? Their paychecks.

“Wonder Woman” may have slayed the box office, but Cosmopolitan.com wrote actress Gal Gadot reportedly earned a mere $300,000 for the iconic superhero role. Henry Cavill, who starred as “Superman” in the 2013 movie “Man of Steel,” earned a whopping $14 million.

“Wonder Woman” pulled in an estimated $57.2 million in North American theaters during its opening weekend alone, out beating Tom Cruise’s “The Mummy,” which only earned $32.2 million in ticket sales.

Variety previously reported Gadot signed a contract in 2014 that gave her $300,000 for each DC film she does, and she’s likely to make a lot more from bonuses.

Sounds to me like she doesn't have a good agent.

• Like 7

Just now, Myles said:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/06/20/wonder-woman-actress-gal-gadot-earned-less-than-superman-star-henry-cavill.html

What’s the difference between Superman and Wonder Woman? Their paychecks.

“Wonder Woman” may have slayed the box office, but Cosmopolitan.com wrote actress Gal Gadot reportedly earned a mere $300,000 for the iconic superhero role. Henry Cavill, who starred as “Superman” in the 2013 movie “Man of Steel,” earned a whopping $14 million.

“Wonder Woman” pulled in an estimated $57.2 million in North American theaters during its opening weekend alone, out beating Tom Cruise’s “The Mummy,” which only earned $32.2 million in ticket sales.

Variety previously reported Gadot signed a contract in 2014 that gave her $300,000 for each DC film she does, and she’s likely to make a lot more from bonuses.

Sounds to me like she doesn't have a good agent.

Im curious if her contract included a guaranteed salary for the sequel or if shes gambling on herself and betting she'll have leverage to negotiate a big contract for the sequel. 

Either way she is simply delicious

• Like 2

Superman is a instant money maker. While Wonder woman did great, it probably wasn't known that it would. Now that its proven Wonder women can be just as big, she will have much more room to negotiate a better contract.

The wage gap is a myth

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nonentity said:

No surprise there. 

It is a little bit of a surprise.   Any actress or their agent would certainly know that a new DC Comics movie was going to be huge.  

My guess is that this article is cherry picking and only reporting the base salary while not reporting other bonuses that may be millions.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

The wage gap is a myth

It's not a myth.   It may not be as bad as we are told, but it's not a myth.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Myles said:

It's not a myth.   It may not be as bad as we are told, but it's not a myth.  

Sure it is. Ive seen the entire myth destroyed a stat at a time. It has more to do with personal decisions then anything else. The only actual wage gap that has any basis in reality is that women 30 years old and younger are making more money then men, on average. In fact you could take damn near every subject the feminists complain about an turn it on its head. Women have by far the better deal in todays society in nearly every way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Sure it is. Ive seen the entire myth destroyed a stat at a time. It has more to do with personal decisions then anything else. The only actual wage gap that has any basis in reality is that women 30 years old and younger are making more money then men, on average. In fact you could take damn near every subject the feminists complain about an turn it on its head. Women have by far the better deal in todays society in nearly every way.

This is both a delusional and disgusting opinion.

And the gender pay gap is a myth? That's so completely and utterly untrue that this thread, I estimate, now has a 75% chance of being moved to the conspiracy section.

38 minutes ago, Myles said:

My guess is that this article is cherry picking and only reporting the base salary while not reporting other bonuses that may be millions.  

No doubt there will be bonuses (the article actually mentions this) but the direct comparison made was between hers and Henry's baseline wage. $13m for him and $300,000 for her. This is a massive disparity problem all throughout Hollywood. Actresses are paid way less with very few exceptions.

Gal Gadot was incredible as Wonder Woman. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

• Like 6

Maybe her agent advised her to go for a bigger cut of the profits, rather than a larger up-front payment.

In which case..... Very shrewd!

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

This is both a delusional and disgusting opinion.

And the gender pay gap is a myth? That's so completely and utterly untrue that this thread, I estimate, now has a 75% chance of being moved to the conspiracy section.

Pulling heart strings while providing nothing to actually sway my opinion isn't very effective. What's disgusting Is knowing that 4 out of 5 suicides are men. Men are far more likely to become drug addicts. Women are out pacing men in higher education by a wide margin, and it grows more every year. Men are nearly just as likely to be victims of violent domestic abuse, with ZERO resources to help them. They are FAR more likely to be the victim in every other area of violent crimes, including rape. Heck its just assumed a man will be raped if he ends up in prison. People shrug it off like its just part of the punishment.  The cause of many male suicides derives from extremely bias family court systems that remove nearly completely any semblance of Fatherhood. Imagine going from full time Dad to seeing the kid one day a week (assuming she didn't accuse you of being unfit in anyway, falsely or otherwise, then you get one supervised hour a week). 98% of work related injuries and deaths are men. Men are expected to go to war, whether they want to or not, should the government pull the draft card. You find the thought of what is clearly true "disgusting" cause you, like most feminists, don't see men as humans.

• Like 1

I decided to do some researching on the thought of the 'gender pay gap myth'. 

Going here.

Despite the author of this article is on the side of saying it is, there are points that it's not entirely a myth either and that there are various elements that make up to it. 

For decades, critics of markets have trotted out the claim that women make only a percentage of what men do as evidence that markets discriminate against women. Early on, women were claimed to make only about 65% of what men do. Now that number is more like 80%. So one observation from the start is that the gap, whatever its causes, has narrowed since the 1970s.

Observation and how it's done is considered. 

And I think the big thing is that how women are seen and treated over all is one element that tends to guide toward it. 

There’s no reason to deny that socialization might matter. Agreeing with that claim implies no necessary role for policy. We’ve already seen that the problem largely isn’t with employers or in labor markets. Instead, if we think that such socialization is a problem, and that the world would be a better, and more liberal, place if women felt more empowered to, say, enter the math and science majors and earn a better living as a result, we can work to change the culture in ways that address these concerns. The same could be said of persuading men to devote more time to child raising and other forms of household production.

In which I would agree. 

In fact, there could be a part of me that would think that the 'gender pay gap' is one of the many ramifications of this. 

This site seems to hit that about the overall how women are looked upon and treated overall as well. 

I like this site, it explains the 'gender pay gap' as not a myth and the same reasoning of how women are observed and treated in jobs as opposed to men, and how jobs today are advancing to help dispose the gender gap. 

“It answers a particular question,” she says, “but it doesn’t say that men and women are doing the same thing. It doesn’t say that they’re working the same amount of time, the same hours during the day, or the same days of the week.” The rhetoric of politicians, and policy prescriptions meant to close the gender wage gap, assume that pay disparities are created primarily by outright discrimination by employers, or by women’s lack of negotiation skills. Goldin has a less popular idea: that the pay gap arises not because men and women are paid differently for the same work, but because the labor market incentivizes them to work differently.

I could say, as a woman, I have felt this gender pay gap. I have had a conversation with a male co-worker, about how each of us were paid in the same position and yes, mine was less. Granted, that was years ago, but seeing this makes me not be surprised. I also feel it's how we 'looked upon' and how there seems to be 'assumptions' leveled at us, because we're women. :rolleyes: Seriously, I got yelled at by someone, because I didn't know about cookbooks and I should have an interest in cooking because I'm a woman. :no:  (btw, I married a man who loves to cook) Or that in a thread in a forum years ago, there was an argument for against gay marriage, because women need men for certain roles and jobs, like mowing the lawn. In which, I dispelled that with them, because of being married to a military guy who deploys sometimes, I'm forced to do those rolls, and things like mowing the lawn, I do. It gets me, how we're expected to take some roles, can't do others, and I find that so not true. 

It seems that the 'pay gap myth' is assumed because the pay gap is only showing because of women's choices. Well, why are those women's choices happening, or are they really choices in the end? 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

No doubt there will be bonuses (the article actually mentions this) but the direct comparison made was between hers and Henry's baseline wage. $13m for him and $300,000 for her. This is a massive disparity problem all throughout Hollywood. Actresses are paid way less with very few exceptions.

I agree to a point, but the disparity isn't as huge as $300,000 vs $14 million.     Like I said, I think the article is cherry picking its information.    Either she has a dumb agent or she is getting the money from other avenues.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

The wage gap is a myth

Not only isnt a myth it appears to be  trending in a negative direction for women 

Chart women's median annual earnings as a percentage of men's medium annual earnings

Median annual earnings and earnings ratio for full time, year-round workers by state and gender (2015)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Pulling heart strings while providing nothing to actually sway my opinion isn't very effective. What's disgusting Is knowing that 4 out of 5 suicides are men. Men are far more likely to become drug addicts. Women are out pacing men in higher education by a wide margin, and it grows more every year. Men are nearly just as likely to be victims of violent domestic abuse, with ZERO resources to help them. They are FAR more likely to be the victim in every other area of violent crimes, including rape. Heck its just assumed a man will be raped if he ends up in prison. People shrug it off like its just part of the punishment.  The cause of many male suicides derives from extremely bias family court systems that remove nearly completely any semblance of Fatherhood. Imagine going from full time Dad to seeing the kid one day a week (assuming she didn't accuse you of being unfit in anyway, falsely or otherwise, then you get one supervised hour a week). 98% of work related injuries and deaths are men. Men are expected to go to war, whether they want to or not, should the government pull the draft card. You find the thought of what is clearly true "disgusting" cause you, like most feminists, don't see men as humans.

I don't dismiss this is happening myself. In a sense, I have come to know friends, (male friends) who have been raped. I have waited on a guy who is being abused physically in his marriage. 

And yes, men tend to be assumed for this as well, in which I think is all part of this. In which, society needs to quell that as well, and give men the ok to be themselves, individualistically and not get the backlash. And yes, I think it also leads into the problems of the paygap, because men are assumed to all want to work more or harder, or not want to stay home for the kids. These things are just as good, but there is a :no: in the eyes of a lot toward them. 

This needs to be worked on too. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I decided to do some researching on the thought of the 'gender pay gap myth'. 

Going here.

Despite the author of this article is on the side of saying it is, there are points that it's not entirely a myth either and that there are various elements that make up to it. 

Observation and how it's done is considered. 

And I think the big thing is that how women are seen and treated over all is one element that tends to guide toward it. 

In which I would agree. 

In fact, there could be a part of me that would think that the 'gender pay gap' is one of the many ramifications of this. 

This site seems to hit that about the overall how women are looked upon and treated overall as well. 

I like this site, it explains the 'gender pay gap' as not a myth and the same reasoning of how women are observed and treated in jobs as opposed to men, and how jobs today are advancing to help dispose the gender gap. 

I could say, as a woman, I have felt this gender pay gap. I have had a conversation with a male co-worker, about how each of us were paid in the same position and yes, mine was less. Granted, that was years ago, but seeing this makes me not be surprised. I also feel it's how we 'looked upon' and how there seems to be 'assumptions' leveled at us, because we're women. :rolleyes: Seriously, I got yelled at by someone, because I didn't know about cookbooks and I should have an interest in cooking because I'm a woman. :no:  (btw, I married a man who loves to cook) Or that in a thread in a forum years ago, there was an argument for against gay marriage, because women need men for certain roles and jobs, like mowing the lawn. In which, I dispelled that with them, because of being married to a military guy who deploys sometimes, I'm forced to do those rolls, and things like mowing the lawn, I do. It gets me, how we're expected to take some roles, can't do others, and I find that so not true. 

It seems that the 'pay gap myth' is assumed because the pay gap is only showing because of women's choices. Well, why are those women's choices happening, or are they really choices in the end? 

I'd say it is a mixture.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I'd say it is a mixture.  

Mixture of what?

14 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Too many false statements in this to even start.  :wacko:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Not only isnt a myth it appears to be  trending in a negative direction for women 

Chart women's median annual earnings as a percentage of men's medium annual earnings

Median annual earnings and earnings ratio for full time, year-round workers by state and gender (2015)

Yea but why? These studies never consider personal choices. Women are far less likely to work over time. Women are far less likely to take weather enduring physical jobs. Women often choose to stay home for long periods of time to birth and raise children. I don't have to look any further then my own home to understand this. I make a lot more money then my wife. I also work on average 20 more hours a week, often in less then desirable weather conditions. Women often just don't want to do what men are expected to do. At the end of the week, when both me and my wife collect our checks, and see the difference in what our week looked like, no one can say I have power over her. I make more cause of personal sacrifice. Not cause Ihave power over her.

Few more things where women have the better deal. A women gets on average 63% less jail time for the same crime as a man. Women live on average 5 years longer then men. I could go on all day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Too many false statements in this to even start.  :wacko:

There isn't a single false statement there, not one. I've done my homework on this extensively

2 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Mixture of what?

Oops, sorry.

I was replying to your statement:

As a person involved in the hiring of maintenance workers, we get very few females apply for electricians, welders or general maintenance positions.   We wouldn't hesitate to hire one, but women don't gravitate to that trade.   I'm sure it is a harder road for them, but in the end, the reason we don't have any female maintenance people is because they don't apply.   

• Like 1

From my expierences recently being out of college is seems a lot of women don't want to negotiate pay because they feel it's rude

Just now, preacherman76 said:

Yea but why? These studies never consider personal choices. Women are far less likely to work over time. Women are far less likely to take weather enduring physical jobs. Women often choose to stay home for long periods of time to birth and raise children. I don't have to look any further then my own home to understand this. I make a lot more money then my wife. I also work on average 20 more hours a week, often in less then desirable weather conditions. Women often just don't want to do what men are expected to do. At the end of the week, when both me and my wife collect our checks, and see the difference in what our week looked like, no one can say I have power over her. I make more cause of personal sacrifice. Not cause Ihave power over her.

Few more things where women have the better deal. A women gets on average 63% less jail time for the same crime as a man. Women live on average 5 years longer then men. I could go on all day.

I dont deny that there are extenuating factors for sure. So I would never say the things i posted are definitive proof of anything. 

I also work in a male driven industry and am honest with myself to admit the struggles that the females in it have. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

From my expierences recently being out of college is seems a lot of women don't want to negotiate pay because they feel it's rude

If you really think about it, if women really make only 80% on the dollar as men do, for no other reason then they are women, only women would be hired. Imagine a companies choice here. They could reduce what they have to pay out by 20%. Why hire a man at all?

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I dont deny that there are extenuating factors for sure. So I would never say the things i posted are definitive proof of anything. 

I also work in a male driven industry and am honest with myself to admit the struggles that the females in it have. 

Oh no doubt. I don't say any of this to put women down, or to belittle them in anyway. The only negative feeling I have are towards a legal system that greatly favors women over men. Both Criminally, and in Family courts. That's the only real patriarchy here.

All Im saying is men have it worse in most area's, and it shouldn't be considered disgusting, like one poster told me, to recognize it.

Edited by preacherman76

13 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Or they don't have the guts. There are multiple studies that found out that women do less well in negotiations than men. This might be a due classic male and female upbringing, as females are traditionally supposed to behave more passively. I think we should raise our women to be more self-confident.

And yes, the earnings gap does exist. It is not a pay gap however, and has a lot to do with work time. Women work a lot less than men. This has, of course, biological reasons as well. 

But I do believe that all these gaps will steadily disappear. Why? Because in this current generation, women are already better educated than men. They earn better grades and college degrees. Women will become dominant on the job market.

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 2