Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs to hunt for Amelia Earhart's remains

Still Waters

Nearly 80 years ago, on July 2, 1937, Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan took off from Lae, New Guinea, in a Lockheed Electra 10E on one of the last legs of their around-the-world flight. They were aiming for tiny Howland Island just north of the equator. They couldn’t find it, and despite many attempts, no one has been able to find them.

But the mystery of what happened to Amelia Earhart may be as close as it’s ever been to being solved. An expedition organized by the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) sets sail on June 24 from Fiji. On board will be a team that’s proved astonishingly adept at locating human remains—specially trained forensic dogs.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/amelia-earhart-island-dogs/

• Like 3

Ah, the adventure continues for one of the longest running scams in recent memory. Any bleached out sliver of possible human bone will be touted as definite proof, just as that nondescript scrap of aluminum was.

Good luck with that, she's likely already dust at this point blown away by the wind gone forever...

Given it's been 80 years I don't think we will truly ever know what happened to her, let alone do I think we will find her remains because at this point there would be nothing left.

• Like 1

To this day I still have no idea what people's fascination with Emilia is. She flew a plane it disappeared, nothing has ever been found... it's not the only case of this happening. It happens even today with our interconnected world. 

Let the person lay in rest where ever her bones are...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nzo said:

To this day I still have no idea what people's fascination with Emilia is. She flew a plane it disappeared, nothing has ever been found... it's not the only case of this happening. It happens even today with our interconnected world.

Because like other unexplained mysteries, disappearances are fascinating.  Not because they're one-offs, but because there are sometimes rich colorful stories behind them like there is here.  A female pilot in the 1930s circumnavigating the globe is a unique set of circumstances unlike other cases of this happening.   Hope that at least gives you somewhat of an idea.  ;)

• Like 3

Having been on this site for years, and reading lots of crime stories, cryptozoology stories and about ancient remains being found occasionally stories... I know that the success of using dogs depends almost entirely on... the dogs. Some dogs have an almost 100% find rate, and some that are trained exactly the same, and of the same breed, will be almost at zero.

I wish them luck, but I tend to agree with Scholar4Truth posted, that in all likelihood there are no remains to be found. I am not sure where the TIGHAR people found the "artifacts" they already have, but I think bones still being around is a real long shot.

• Like 2

While this may be true, it sounds funny - "No other technology is more sophisticated than the dogs,"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adampadum123 said:

I think the mystery itself should just carry on mysteries or what keeps our imaginations alive

I think it is likely that this one could be solved.   At least part of it.    I think the best bet is that she spent her final days on Nikumaroro island.  

• Like 1

every few years somebody tries to solve this case and unfortunately they never find anything new the last one I heard is that a cannibal tribe killed them an ate them 

I wonder if the group has something with her scent on it?  I guess cadaver dogs can find bones and the like otherwise.

Interesting, and I wonder why it hasn't been thought of before? (to be fair, I didn't think of it either, but I'm not that smart)

Edited by Calibeliever

I mean how do they know for certain we're the plane went down there's no trace evidence and can dogs pick up a scent from all them years ago 

• 2 weeks later...

nearly exact match as the remains found on Nikumaroro.

anyone else.find this sentence contradictory? 

Who knows if this could be true , Maybe since its reported that dogs can sniff out cancer sniffing a bandage .