Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Killer whales chase fishermen to steal catch

Still Waters

Alaskan fisherman say they are being "chased out" of the Bering Sea by pods of killer whales which are stripping their lines of fish.

In a number of cases fishing captains have reported losing tens of thousands of pounds of halibut and black cod after being followed a number of miles by orcas.

One described the pods as like a "motorcycle gang" which leave little more than the lips of the fish they snatch.

While killer whales were previously an infrequent sighting for fishermen in the Bering Sea, the problem is now said to be "systemic".

http://news.sky.com/story/killer-whales-chasing-alaskan-fishermen-to-steal-catch-10921876

• Like 4

Holy hell thats terrifying. Theyre big, they work in teams, and they have the ability to learn. Just YIKES. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

... and mighty hungry, I don't think they'll resort to such desperate measures if they had the means of finding a proper feeding ...

~

• Like 4

This isn't good. I hope these animals are protected before a fishing boat decides they have had enough and hurts or kills them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, third_eye said:

... and mighty hungry, I don't think they'll resort to such desperate measures if they had the means of finding a proper feeding ...

~

I don't know, Orca are very skillful hunters. They probably feel they just cant pass up on a easy meal. If the area didn't have enough food to support them, they wouldn't be there.

• Like 2

Just now, preacherman76 said:

I don't know, Orca are very skillful hunters. They probably feel they just cant pass up on a easy meal. If the area didn't have enough food to support them, they wouldn't be there.

I dunno man ... normal behavior is they tend to shun man and boats, that's why they are rarely seen out in the open seas, mostly observed when they are on the hunt and too busy to pay any heed or attention to any human presence in the vicinity, once the hunt is over they disappear.

This here is a pod actively engaging humans and boats for a feed, sounds a bit on the side of desperation to me ...

~

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I dunno man ... normal behavior is they tend to shun man and boats, that's why they are rarely seen out in the open seas, mostly observed when they are on the hunt and too busy to pay any heed or attention to any human presence in the vicinity, once the hunt is over they disappear.

This here is a pod actively engaging humans and boats for a feed, sounds a bit on the side of desperation to me ...

~

Maybe. Could be the area is being over fished by humans.

Orcas are probably my favorite animal, next to the owl. They are truly majestic creatures.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Maybe. Could be the area is being over fished by humans.

Orcas are probably my favorite animal, next to the owl. They are truly majestic creatures.

No arguments or disagreements there, I still refer to them as dolphins rather than whales ... :D

~

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

No arguments or disagreements there, I still refer to them as dolphins rather than whales ... :D

~

You ever see that documentary on that one killer whale who somehow got separated from his pod? He hung out in this bay area by himself, and loved hanging out with the people there. Its been so long I don't remember the name of the documentary, or the name they gave the whale, or dolphin ;), but It was a great film.

• Like 1

You ever see that documentary on that one killer whale who somehow got separated from his pod? He hung out in this bay area by himself, and loved hanging out with the people there. Its been so long I don't remember the name of the documentary, or the name they gave the whale, or dolphin ;), but It was a great film.

Can't say I'm familiar with that one ... nor even heard of it ... on the other hand I haven't really been actively watching anything TV for many a year now, what I see I catch a glimpse here and there when I'm over at friend's place ...

Sorry ...

~

• Like 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Can't say I'm familiar with that one ... nor even heard of it ... on the other hand I haven't really been actively watching anything TV for many a year now, what I see I catch a glimpse here and there when I'm over at friend's place ...

Sorry ...

~

Oh you gotta see it if you are into Orcas. I gotta head out now, but I'll try to find the info on it later.

• Like 1

Oh you gotta see it if you are into Orcas. I gotta head out now, but I'll try to find the info on it later.

Ta ... I'm gonna be off line for a couple of weeks, got some seasonal work wading in shrimp ponds at an aqua farm and no internet ... heading out tomorrow morning first thing but I'll check back with you on that film ... cheers ...

~

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Ta ... I'm gonna be off line for a couple of weeks, got some seasonal work wading in shrimp ponds at an aqua farm and no internet ... heading out tomorrow morning first thing but I'll check back with you on that film ... cheers ...

~

Good luck with that third eye. See ya when you get back.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 1:54 AM, preacherman76 said:

Good luck with that third eye. See ya when you get back.

They shoved me over to a temporary transfer over to the delivery and transport logistics slot, not sure if there's a pay rise involved but ... I got internet !

YaaaAaaaaY !

:lol:

~

well ... during lunch hour at least ... :P

~