Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do YOU do for work?

LucidElement

On 7/29/2017 at 11:43 AM, Metaman92 said:

I'm a research engineer for aviation flight deck technologies and commercial airline pilots.. and part time grad student

Thats a lot of work on your plate. Nice work! Adn congrats on soon to be a post grad student =)

On 7/28/2017 at 4:02 PM, Podo said:

I got one.

So my company works with this other company sometimes, as they have different software specialties than we do, and it's easier than hiring someone new every time. So we start working with this particular developer from them (Let's call them FailCorp) whom we will call Jeff. Jeff has been a software developer for around twenty years, so he knows his ****. He's doing some back-end dev work for us. This all seems fine.

EXCEPT.

Jeff doesn't know how to use source control. Okay, fine, that's really, really weird, but whatever, just email us your code. Oh, you...don't know how to share a file via Google Drive? Okay cool, just attach it to an email. What? You don't know how to create an email attachment? Okay...why don't you paste the code into the email body? You can't figure that out either, can you? I...what? You want to bring it to the office? Physically? In a USB drive? I...I guess?

Jeff was so incompetent that he insisted on hand-delivering his code to us in a friggin' USB drive. He couldn't figure out GIT, he didn't know how emails worked, and he also apparently didn't know basic math because his code was an absolute mess. We worked with him for only two weeks before we fired his ass and replaced him with someone who knew how to do their jobs. I'm genuinely confused as to how someone that grossly incompetent can tie their own shoes, let alone hold down a job. To this day, he still works at FailCorp, who raves about his skills. I have a buddy who works for a company who has done work with FailCorp since The Jeffening (which is what we call it at my company now), and the guy is just as useless.

The moral of this story is that everything is horrible forever and life has no meaning. If you listen to the wind on quiet nights, you can still hear him unsuccessfully trying to open a bash shell.

I know your pain. I have been in software development in some capacity or another for the better part of three decades. I worked at Microsoft from 1993-2005 mostly on the Windows team, but took my turns at Windows Update, microsoft.com and a brief stints at SiteServer / Office / Frontpage / Sharepoint. 

I think  I've worked with "Jeff" or his twin brother (for which there are many). LOL. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MissMelsWell said:

I know your pain. I have been in software development in some capacity or another for the better part of three decades. I worked at Microsoft from 1993-2005 mostly on the Windows team, but took my turns at Windows Update, microsoft.com and a brief stints at SiteServer / Office / Frontpage / Sharepoint. 

I think  I've worked with "Jeff" or his twin brother (for which there are many). LOL. 

You know the struggle. You've stood in the ashes of a thousand dead API calls, as the server stacks burn down around you, fallen to your knees in the centre of /dev/null/ and shouted to the sky "DON'T RUN SCRIPTS ON THE PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT."

I tip my hat to you, sister-in-arms. May your connections always be gigabit and your conference rooms always be free.

• Like 1

I'm halfway between a full-time freelance writer and a full-time fiction author. The gap is proving more difficult to cross than I'd hoped.

Pesky bills and kids that need food.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Purplos said:

I'm halfway between a full-time freelance writer and a full-time fiction author. The gap is proving more difficult to cross than I'd hoped.

Pesky bills and kids that need food.

Free Lance writer as in for like newspaper and such?

On 8/1/2017 at 3:55 PM, LucidElement said:

Thats a lot of work on your plate. Nice work! Adn congrats on soon to be a post grad student =)

It is but it's a lot of fun! And thank you very much.

• Like 1