Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do YOU do for work?

LucidElement

What do you do for work? Anyone have any COOL jobs? Archeology? Historian? Author?

I am in the financial business ... weeeeee lol =)

• Like 5

I am an Aerospace Consultant (Engineering and Certification) working on behalf of many aircraft manufacturers... nothing cool to see here:sleepy:

• Like 4

Group clinican for little kids. Aka therapist 

• Like 5

I work for my family business which a antique and candy shop. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Synchronicity strikes!! I found an antique candy down the back of my chair just yesterday:D

• Like 4

I was a door to door sales person for solar panels for 2 days, then got fired for calling in sick. Back in Jan 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 1:14 PM, keithisco said:

I am an Aerospace Consultant (Engineering and Certification) working on behalf of many aircraft manufacturers... nothing cool to see here:sleepy:

That's awesome ... my uncle worked for Raytheon for almost 20 plus years, back when it was Hughes. He was a engineer as well for defense. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 2:48 PM, Redefining Success said:

Roadside technician, meh.

Have you had any Bizzare calls , that you could share? Anything that actually took you by surprise lol?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

I was a door to door sales person for solar panels for 2 days, then got fired for calling in sick. Back in Jan 

Lol.... unreal... I think solar panels make the roofs like fugly lol.

• Like 3

I'm in the institutional financial business. I graduated with a history major but fell into the financial world. However, my biggest passion is still and always will be history. It's awesome to hear about other people's careers. Out of 350 million people in the US (give or take) and about 7.5-8 billion in the world, I can only imagine what our daily lives consist of.

Edited by LucidElement
Adding sentence
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, LucidElement said:

Lol.... unreal... I think solar panels make the roofs like fugly lol.

My job was to book people appointments with the solar "experts", I later found out the panels the company were selling were AU$5,000 dearer then everywhere else. We didn't get told prices, only sales pitch, who to sell to and who not to sell to. I had heatstroke from being outside in Aussie Summer no sunscreen (we weren't allowed to take breaks to reapply), no hat, no breaks, in long black pants, black enclosed shoes, black top, carry around the folder with the info and booking form and a drink if we had one. The panels can reduce power bills alot, but that's if you have enough panels ($$ to get) have battery packs (weren't in available in Australia at the time) and aren't home during the day other wise its a small saving. I don't recommend door to door or the jobs in shopping malls you have to sign people up for things. It's not worth the tiny below min wage, the abuse and the company's treatment of you

• Like 1

On 22/06/2017 at 8:04 PM, Scholar4Truth said:

I run an antique shop (which I inherited from my step-father, so I guess it's a family business) ....

.... but I don't sell candy  :(  

I also sell model trains.  Which is much more fun!  :D 

• Like 3

On 2017-6-24 at 7:18 AM, LucidElement said:

Have you had any Bizzare calls , that you could share? Anything that actually took you by surprise lol?

Over the years, plenty! 

I had a woman urinate and deficate in my truck, went to court for that!

Kids locked in cars.

Dogs locked in cars.

Stuck in mud, 200 metres out in a field.

Car won't start, engine missing. 

Keys stolen, then car actually drove past me.

Boot won't open, waited 4 hours when a simple double press on the fob would of done.

Opened a glovebox once to get to a fuse box and a woman's toy fell out. That made her blush. 

There's LOADS! I think I need to write a book.

• Like 5

On 6/24/2017 at 2:29 AM, Ruby04 said:

My job was to book people appointments with the solar "experts", I later found out the panels the company were selling were AU$5,000 dearer then everywhere else. We didn't get told prices, only sales pitch, who to sell to and who not to sell to. I had heatstroke from being outside in Aussie Summer no sunscreen (we weren't allowed to take breaks to reapply), no hat, no breaks, in long black pants, black enclosed shoes, black top, carry around the folder with the info and booking form and a drink if we had one. The panels can reduce power bills alot, but that's if you have enough panels ($$ to get) have battery packs (weren't in available in Australia at the time) and aren't home during the day other wise its a small saving. I don't recommend door to door or the jobs in shopping malls you have to sign people up for things. It's not worth the tiny below min wage, the abuse and the company's treatment of you

thats crazy... did they compensate you for the heatstroke or anything along those lines? Solar panels IMO are ugly as hell lol when they are on the roofs. But the fact you couldnt wear a hat and to be in long black pants is like sweatshop status.!

• Like 3

On 6/24/2017 at 8:55 AM, Essan said:

I run an antique shop (which I inherited from my step-father, so I guess it's a family business) ....

.... but I don't sell candy  :(  

I also sell model trains.  Which is much more fun!  :D 

My dad just passed away recently - he has a bunch of old model trains and the towns they went with. I wonder how much those go for now a days. He had them since he was a kid. Id say 1950s.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2017 at 4:50 AM, Redefining Success said:

Over the years, plenty! 

I had a woman urinate and deficate in my truck, went to court for that!

Kids locked in cars.

Dogs locked in cars.

Stuck in mud, 200 metres out in a field.

Car won't start, engine missing. 

Keys stolen, then car actually drove past me.

Boot won't open, waited 4 hours when a simple double press on the fob would of done.

Opened a glovebox once to get to a fuse box and a woman's toy fell out. That made her blush. 

There's LOADS! I think I need to write a book.

HAHAHAHAHA her toy fell out. thats hilarious. So women do enjoy using their toys while they drive hahaha.

And a woman urinated and defecated in the truck, i hope she wasnt sober lol.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

My dad just passed away recently - he has a bunch of old model trains and the towns they went with. I wonder how much those go for now a days. He had them since he was a kid. Id say 1950s.

Sorry to hear about your dad

The trains are probably not worth a huge amount unless they're all in mint condition.  There's quite a lot of 1950s-60s Hornby/Triang trains on the market these days, but there are also still plenty of people who collect them and any more unusual items can fetch reasonable money.   Worth a look on ebay.

Edit: actually I forget if you're in the UK or US?   If the US may be a bit different, I don't know the market there.  But same advice: check out ebay.

Edited by Essan
  • Like 1

I'm a Dietetic Technician, Registered (I have an Associates Degree in Food and Nutrition) and a Certified Lactation Consultant.  I am not a Registered Dietitian (have to have a Bachelors Degree for that), but work at the local WIC office.  I get to counsel pregnant and postpartum women, children up to age 5 and parents of infants in basic nutrition.   I also counsel nursing moms, helping them with lactation and breast pumps. In addition we are a government agency that offers nutritional foods and formula to help income eligible families.   We also refer people to outside agencies to help find housing, clothes, food, doctors.   I work with the general public and lower income families so unfortunately I see some of the struggles that go on, including drug and alcohol abuse, child abuse and neglect.  

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Essan said:

Sorry to hear about your dad

The trains are probably not worth a huge amount unless they're all in mint condition.  There's quite a lot of 1950s-60s Hornby/Triang trains on the market these days, but there are also still plenty of people who collect them and any more unusual items can fetch reasonable money.   Worth a look on ebay.

Edit: actually I forget if you're in the UK or US?   If the US may be a bit different, I don't know the market there.  But same advice: check out ebay.

thanks on the words about my dad.

I will take a look at the trains next time im at my moms house and come back to you with the name and make. =)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tcgram said:

I'm a Dietetic Technician, Registered (I have an Associates Degree in Food and Nutrition) and a Certified Lactation Consultant.  I am not a Registered Dietitian (have to have a Bachelors Degree for that), but work at the local WIC office.  I get to counsel pregnant and postpartum women, children up to age 5 and parents of infants in basic nutrition.   I also counsel nursing moms, helping them with lactation and breast pumps. In addition we are a government agency that offers nutritional foods and formula to help income eligible families.   We also refer people to outside agencies to help find housing, clothes, food, doctors.   I work with the general public and lower income families so unfortunately I see some of the struggles that go on, including drug and alcohol abuse, child abuse and neglect.  

At least you have a big hear to be able to help those who are struggling in the lower class. That should make you feel good!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

At least you have a big hear to be able to help those who are struggling in the lower class. That should make you feel good!

Thanks.   I was very poor when I was younger so I know of the many struggles people in lower class face on a daily basis.  

I also wanted to extend my condolences on the passing of your father.   

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tcgram said:

Thanks.   I was very poor when I was younger so I know of the many struggles people in lower class face on a daily basis.  

I also wanted to extend my condolences on the passing of your father.   

Thanks TC. He was a great man . 67 years old COPD. was/is a tough loss. He was loved by many! BUt hes in a better place and not suffering anymore =)

• Like 2

There are so many UM members, i was hoping to hear more about what people do for a living. I find it always interesting. Lots of people = lots of different types of jobs. =) . Please share if you would like too.

• Like 4