Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do YOU do for work?

LucidElement

3 minutes ago, Podo said:

I'm a software developer, and I write for a videogame/tabletop gaming website on the side. I also do freelance web design and other IT-related tasks on a contract basis. In the summer on the weekends, and mostly for fun, I work as a wilderness guide and wild-food foraging instructor.

Lol please give more details about "wild food foraging instructor "

• Like 3

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Lol please give more details about "wild food foraging instructor "

I teach people what plants and mushrooms are edible, and which ones will kill them. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Podo said:

I teach people what plants and mushrooms are edible, and which ones will kill them. 

That's interesting.  I used to be into foraging in a big way (not mushrooms though) i.e. to use medicinally, cosmetically and culinary wise.  Is it something you do for yourself (i.e. practical use) or just to teach?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LucidElement said:

I see he is the King of all things coffee.  He says he drinks 3-4 cups a day lol. (i feel like thats not that much.) But i dont even drink coffee!

You may enjoy this link Kismit if you havent came across it already.

I think I would have enjoyed it. But I don't see it.

If you are talking about the link where he says there is a lot of work between where the bean is grown to when it's roasted ( pretty sure he was quoting me right there) proud moment.

He is a very descent bloke, inttoduced me to ethical trade coffee as opposed to fair trade. Fair trade labelling has some pitfalls. Our ethical trade ensures we know exactly where our beans are sourced and how employees are treated on the actual farms and plantations.

Sorry I got a little caffienated in my posting. There is a huge difference in skmeone who makes coffee and somone who is a Barrista. Barrista's tend to geek out at the thought of the process.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sees said:

That's interesting.  I used to be into foraging in a big way (not mushrooms though) i.e. to use medicinally, cosmetically and culinary wise.  Is it something you do for yourself (i.e. practical use) or just to teach?

I do it for myself, and teaching is something I just sorta fell into. I kept discovering people whose reaction was along the lines of "oh wow, I'd love to know that, will you teach me?" So now I do. I don't take people to my high-yield spots, but it's entertaining to show people which mushrooms will murder them and which ones taste good in an omelette. 

• Like 3

I work two jobs at this moment a Logistician  , I analysis and manage products from beginning to end . From supplier to consumer  , .also  a company salesman , I go out and  drum up more business . This job is temporary until a salesman is hired . 

• Like 3

On 6/28/2017 at 5:33 PM, Redefining Success said:

It was in a questionable part of Manchester, guy takes his daughter to dance class, leaves keys in jacket and jacket in a cloakroom, 

Thieves find car keys and take the car. 

I did 2 U turns trying to follow them then they crashed into a wall. 

Lol you scared them off the road .

On 6/27/2017 at 10:07 PM, Overdueleaf said:

i work for the state of Ohio in the Department of Developmental Disabilities. My title is Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional (QIDP... or Q for short). I work on a campus that cares for 70 individuals with wide ranges of developmental and physical  disabilities as well as some that are duel diagnosed meaning they have both developmentally disabilities and mental illness. The age range for our campus is 18-83 and there are also different levels of functioning, where some are total care and need help with the most basic of tasks, while others are able to care for most of their immediate needs but need protective oversight and help with more problem solving, decision making and personal responsibility. I am manager over a home that houses up to 16 individuals and is also responsible for ensuring that all paperwork and programming is in compliance with medicaid regulations. Each year we have a week long medicaid survey where trained professionals come in and comb over not only our paperwork but also watch our staff to ensure they are promoting independence, personal choices, and interacting appropriately with the individuals. Job duties i am responsible for includes creating personalized  "life" plan for each individual and creating training programs that their staff work on them with to address deficits in daily life skills with hopes of making advances and reaching independence.Also, completing corrective actions for injury reports, holding meetings to address changes in the "life" plan then typing minutes and submitting them, assessing and adjusting the programs on a monthly basis, making contact with guardians to ensure they are kept apprised on their loved ones lives, and being a liaison between psychologists, psychiatrists, doctors, nursing, occupational therapists, physical therapists, dieticians, and the dental department as their fields pertain to each individual under my care. I also have to ensure that the day's routine runs smoothly, keep staff informed of all necessary change to plans, ensure that all the creature comforts of daily living are provided for and that each individual has what they need to be happy and healthy. I am sure that at this hour after a full day there i some aspect of my job i have left out. If i was asked 10 years ago where I thought i would be now, working in this field, it would have been far from my radar. But life has a funny way of happening and while i did not envision this career... i absolutely love my job.

Thank god for great people like you.

On 6/28/2017 at 8:44 PM, Kismit said:

I think I would have enjoyed it. But I don't see it.

If you are talking about the link where he says there is a lot of work between where the bean is grown to when it's roasted ( pretty sure he was quoting me right there) proud moment.

He is a very descent bloke, inttoduced me to ethical trade coffee as opposed to fair trade. Fair trade labelling has some pitfalls. Our ethical trade ensures we know exactly where our beans are sourced and how employees are treated on the actual farms and plantations.

Sorry I got a little caffienated in my posting. There is a huge difference in skmeone who makes coffee and somone who is a Barrista. Barrista's tend to geek out at the thought of the process.

So your saying baristas aren't always the best to make coffee or they are ?

10 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

So your saying baristas aren't always the best to make coffee or they are ?

They are. A person should know as much about the process as they can. Plantation to cup. It makes a huge difference.

• Like 3

I guess no one else works in this place hahah , everyone just posts full time =)

I am a chef for a beer company.

• Like 3

Corporate Accounts Receivable 

• Like 3

I no longer work, but I was an auto mechanic for a long time.

Now I take up space on the couch. ;)

• Like 5

Currently I'm sort of a dog whisperer/investment strategist/English as a second language volunteer teacher (aka, I'm retired too). I used to be a science teacher.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Currently I'm sort of a dog whisperer/investment strategist/English as a second language volunteer teacher (aka, I'm retired too). I used to be a science teacher.

My Mum taught English as a second language. Allthough she said mastly they just talked and drank tea and coffee.

I'm a maintenance/remodeling contractor type of general contractor. I don't build houses but I fix them. Inside and out from the ground to the roof. There are few things I don't do and few things I can't fix. It not just an "I" thing though. I have a partner and six employees currently. I just kind of fell into this field 15 years ago and have owned it for 10 or 11. I'm kind of a tool nut and if it'll make me money I'll buy it. Or if it's new, shiny, different or gimmicky there's a chance I'll buy it on impulse. 

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 4

Havent came across any authors/historians/archeologists ect... figured i site like this may have had a least a few of them. Im sure there are, just haven't replied!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kismit said:

My Mum taught English as a second language. Allthough she said mastly they just talked and drank tea and coffee.

At our library we have a language lab that allows the student to play back and hear their responses in English. We focus on both written and conversational English. Also have a prep class for the US Citizenship Test and GED (High School Diploma). Also, help folks do stuff like apply for home loans, or take licensing tests (nail technician is popular among the ladies).

• Like 3

Let's see. I worked at a pizza place, did construction, worked as a vet assistant, stock work at a toy store, stock work at a grocery store + bagger, janitor at a bakery (not fun at all), drove a forklift before the plant closed (which made me sad because I loved that job), loaded pallets at a pepsi distribution plant, and I'm currently a machinist because I got tired of bosses, so I became one.

• Like 3