Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shape of birds' eggs linked to flight demands

Claire.

Bird eggs may be shaped by the way their mother flies

Eggs is eggs, but some are round while others are long and pointy – and now we finally know why. It’s all to do with birds’ flying ability, according to a new study.

Read more: New Scientist

I thought birds like the auk family layer long pointy eggs so they don't fall off the cliffs they nest on and owls etc layer a rounder egg because they make a relatively flat nest/dip in holes......just my rule of thumb thinking of course other bird lay different shape eggs these are just two examples

• Like 2

I thought their shape was directly related to ease of laying. How unnatural would it feel to lay a cube?

• Like 3

Birds are evolved to optimize flight to include frequent defecation combining liquids and solids to minimize weight. So, an optimized egg shape makes sense for flight and laying particularly where egg size can be large relative to the bird size. Evolution can be slow but the results are stellar.

• Like 2

Next they will develop as theory on why animals' excrement are different shapes.

• Like 1

Birds don't know how good they have it. Every one of us strives to get laid, they start their lives off by getting laid.

• Like 1

What the article doesn't mention is tortoise eggs the're round 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 9:00 PM, taniwha said:

I thought their shape was directly related to ease of laying. How unnatural would it feel to lay a cube?

e441.jpg