Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curse or coincidence?

Matt221

Not far from where I live there's a a small lane with about a dozen houses years ago a family who owned the lane,farm,farmland,and a couple of houses on one side of the land kicked some romany gypsys of the land along the lane(I can't name the family's involved as relatives still live in the area) .Anyways the oldest of the gypsys was said to put a curse  on the lane and land to cut a long story short on that side of the lane odd stuff has happened ever since including one member of the original owners of the land drowned in a water tank,another in the 1940s was walking along the railway tracks where he worked withere a shovel over his shoulder when the train clipped the shovel and decapitated him,in the following years one of the residents sons was accidently shot,another gored by a bull,horses, sheep,pigs,cattle have all died or gone mad when turned out onto a certain field and nothing to this day turns out a good crop on the field where the gypsys where originally turned off of.Being the sceptic I am I think I know the answer but my old mum and late dad who lived around the area all their lives swear it's true.

• Like 2

I am not going to question if the deaths or events happened, because I believe they did. 

But I would like to see the deaths register (if there is one) before the 1940`s, then compare. I do not  think you will find any coincidences relating to the gypsy`s, just one big family, (be it through births or marriage) that have had some unfortunate incidences. 

One can not blame the gypsies if someone was standing too near a train track with a shovel over his shoulder, or if someone was not more careful with their gun. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I am not going to question if the deaths or events happened, because I believe they did. 

But I would like to see the deaths register (if there is one) before the 1940`s, then compare. I do not  think you will find any coincidences relating to the gypsy`s, just one big family, (be it through births or marriage) that have had some unfortunate incidences. 

One can not blame the gypsies if someone was standing too near a train track with a shovel over his shoulder, or if someone was not more careful with their gun. 

The bloke on the railway had worked there all his life so really ought to of known better and the shooting I believe was also by someone who had used guns all his life so also ought to of known better there was one or two more coincidences it's all in a book called nettles and cream the author was some relation to the farmer who booted of the romanys

• Like 1

Matt those accidents and crop failures would have happened regardless.

People continue to believe in curses only because impressionable types will attribute any and all disasters to them. I mean, think about it. If curses were indeed real, they would have become the weapon of choice for each and every one of us a long time ago. But the fact of the matter is, that no one has that kind of power. No one. It's just hocus pocus nonsense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt221 said:

The bloke on the railway had worked there all his life so really ought to of known better and the shooting I believe was also by someone who had used guns all his life so also ought to of known better there was one or two more coincidences it's all in a book called nettles and cream the author was some relation to the farmer who booted of the romanys

Googling the village i can see there is a book out, but can not find anything else about a family having a curse on them.

There was another death on the railway a few years back, but no mention of anything suspicious.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/wrabness-man-dies-after-being-struck-by-train-1-2677389

2 deaths is not much at all over all those years. The village only has a population of 400, so any accidents in the past and even today, relating to people born there, would be highly likely they are  all related by blood somewhere down the line.

Yes you would think  people should know better when they are doing something they have done all their lives....but we also know about complacency, and that accidents do happen.

Hence why today our health and safety laws are a lot stricter as they were back then.

Anyway, i wish him luck with his book.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Googling the village i can see there is a book out, but can not find anything else about a family having a curse on them.

There was another death on the railway a few years back, but no mention of anything suspicious.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/wrabness-man-dies-after-being-struck-by-train-1-2677389

2 deaths is not much at all over all those years. The village only has a population of 400, so any accidents in the past and even today, relating to people born there, would be highly likely they are  all related by blood somewhere down the line.

Yes you would think  people should know better when they are doing something they have done all their lives....but we also know about complacency, and that accidents do happen.

Hence why today our health and safety laws are a lot stricter as they were back then.

Anyway, i wish him luck with his book.

I only really know about this because of what my old mum and dad had told me about it and my grand-dad was a signal man and uncle was stationmaster at that particular station as for curses,well I just like the story really just thought it was a good one to share I only read the book because I know a few of the people mentioned and we used to live in that villiage when I was little 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matt221 said:

I only really know about this because of what my old mum and dad had told me about it and my grand-dad was a signal man and uncle was stationmaster at that particular station as for curses,well I just like the story really just thought it was a good one to share I only read the book because I know a few of the people mentioned and we used to live in that villiage when I was little 

I love hearing about the stories "back in the days" from where my ancestors are from. My mums areas has stories of witches, I have been to some of the "witches" woods and they were pretty spooky, I often wondered if any of my forefathers were involved in the gatherings in the woods,  but my mum said no, they were just very superstitious country folk with lots of stories to tell the next generation.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Edited by eugeneonegin

Just now, eugeneonegin said:

My father bad-mouthed a gypsy once (she and her husband had removed our garden gate to sell and were carrying it down the road), and she said she had put a curse on him and he would die.

I remember he laughed this off at the time, but low-and-behold,47 years later he died of heart disease, so perhaps there was some truth in it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

My father bad-mouthed a gypsy once (she and her husband had removed our garden gate to sell and were carrying it down the road), and she said she had put a curse on him and he would die.

I remember he laughed this off at the time, but low-and-behold,47 years later he died of heart disease, so perhaps there was some truth in it.

LOL.

Some will see it as the "curse".

• Like 1

A gypsy woman once persuaded me to by a small charm of her"keep it in your wallet and it will never be empty"she said,so I did and it wasn't.....I was proper mugged off lol.