Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Western tech firms bow to Russian demands

bmk1245

Under pressure, Western tech firms bow to Russian demands to share cyber secrets

Western technology companies, including Cisco, IBM and SAP, are acceding to demands by Moscow for access to closely guarded product security secrets, at a time when Russia has been accused of a growing number of cyber attacks on the West, a Reuters investigation has found.

Russian authorities are asking Western tech companies to allow them to review source code for security products such as firewalls, anti-virus applications and software containing encryption before permitting the products to be imported and sold in the country. The requests, which have increased since 2014, are ostensibly done to ensure foreign spy agencies have not hidden any "backdoors" that would allow them to burrow into Russian systems.

But those inspections also provide the Russians an opportunity to find vulnerabilities in the products' source code - instructions that control the basic operations of computer equipment - current and former U.S. officials and security experts said.

Read more...

Its like giving Hitler nuclear bomb...

And when I say that the profit can't ever be the only deciding factor, that everything is not and cannot ever be for sale, I'm the silly one. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

And when I say that the profit can't ever be the only deciding factor, that everything is not and cannot ever be for sale, I'm the silly one. 

Well, humans have tendency to step on the rake once and again. Soviets were feeding and supplying Nazis up until German invasion: last train crossed border on the night of the invasion. Turned quite not well afterwards...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

Its like giving Hitler nuclear bomb...

I think you are over reacting. Its perfectly natural in this day and age to be suspicious of intrusive technology. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Well, humans have tendency to step on the rake once and again. Soviets were feeding and supplying Nazis up until German invasion: last train crossed border on the night of the invasion. Turned quite not well afterwards...

Very painfully true. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I think you are over reacting. Its perfectly natural in this day and age to be suspicious of intrusive technology. 

Yes, but it should be natural to be suspicious both ways, especially when the other side has history of misusing technology for very destructive purposes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Yes, but it should be natural to be suspicious both ways, especially when the other side has history of misusing technology for very destructive purposes. 

It goes without saying that no one holds any sort of moral superiority when it comes to being truthful. But in this particular case, if i was Russia, i'd do the same. 

As a proponent of open-source software, I think it's perfectly legitimate. In an ideal world, all source code should be published that code computer programmers can inspect, modify, and enhance. You just don't know what's buried in one particular product these days. You have to 'trust' the company providing it. With all the Snowden revelations about the NSA and stuff, I think the Ruskies are only being careful here.

Edited by Be.cause
  • Like 2

Uh-huh. 

Russians are more than capable of developing their own software. The main reason for buying western software is inspecting it.  

If you think I'm paranoid, you're right. If you think I shouldn't be, you're wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Be.cause said:

As a proponent of open-source software, I think it's perfectly legitimate. In an ideal world, all source code should be published that code computer programmers can inspect, modify, and enhance. You just don't know what's buried in one particular product these days. You have to 'trust' the company providing it. With all the Snowden revelations about the NSA and stuff, I think the Ruskies are only being careful here.

So, post your credit card and social security numbers here, if you are so for openness... Russkies are hunting personal data, at first, to fight any opposition that is left. Though, nowadays their priority might be destruction of infrastructure of western countries.

BTW, as far as I know, Telegram did not caved, yet... Funny thing, Telegram was created by P.Durov, the guy who created VKontakte (Russian analogy of Facebook, overtaken by Kremlin loyal thugs in 2014).

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

It goes without saying that no one holds any sort of moral superiority when it comes to being truthful. But in this particular case, if i was Russia, i'd do the same. 

Autocratic fascist state (Russia) has none and should not have any moral superiority. And being truthful? For crying out loud, Putler bragged on O.Stone videos about Russians "fighting" terrorism by showing "Russian helicopter destroying terrorists" while he showed footage of US forces whacking talibs in Afghanistan back in 2009.:w00t: Efking hilarious...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Uh-huh. 

Russians are more than capable of developing their own software. The main reason for buying western software is inspecting it.  

If you think I'm paranoid, you're right. If you think I shouldn't be, you're wrong. 

Thats why west have to ban all exports of technology and equipment (and cut all optical cables on the borders), until Russkie Federation falls apart into Moscowia, United States of Siberia, and Königsberg Republic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Uh-huh. 

Yes, but they are not as good. Neither is China's for that matter. They burrow heavily on Silicon Valley technology.

If you don't believe me, try Yandex, Russia's most popular internet-related services and products.

In fact, Yandex browser is based on Chromium, developped by Google engineers.

Edited by Be.cause

10 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Russian authorities are asking Western tech companies to allow them to review source code for security products such as firewalls, anti-virus applications and software containing encryption before permitting the products to be imported and sold in the country. The requests, which have increased since 2014, are ostensibly done to ensure foreign spy agencies have not hidden any "backdoors" that would allow them to burrow into Russian systems.

sounds perfectly reasonable when you consider the anti Russia hysteria that is being whipped up in the West -

oh and I see you Godwinned your own thread in the first post - ^_^

• Like 2

Just now, bmk1245 said:

Thats why west have to ban all exports of technology and equipment (and cut all optical cables on the borders), until Russkie Federation falls apart into Moscowia, United States of Siberia, and Königsberg Republic.

Ya that would work out well. It would meen the United States of Nothing. How do you think the US spy`s on other nations. Dial up maby, or snail mail. The Russians could care less about taking over the US. After all these companies are privatly owned. Maybe more should be done at home instead of pointing a finger. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

yeah because destabilizing countries and creating power vacuums works so well - like in the Middle East -
if your wish came true and that whole area of the world dissolved into chaos countries around the Russian
Border would be the first to get caught up in armed conflict, terrorism and economic collapse -

you would be begging the '''Ruskie Federation''' to come back and re-establish order so that Peace and Prosperity
could continue - and the balance of power maintained - 

Bee it`s funy the US has to worry about Canada lol and Mexico not so much an lol. The Russians will forsure take any advantage they can get, I would. To be honest I think Russia has held back alot. That may change

1 hour ago, The Silver Thong said:

Bee it`s funy the US has to worry about Canada lol and Mexico not so much an lol. The Russians will forsure take any advantage they can get, I would. To be honest I think Russia has held back alot. That may change

I think that Russia is pretty much just interested in maintaining it's own borders, culture and economy -
It is after all, the biggest country in the world by far in terms of land mass - but you come in second... :)

50 Largest Countries in the World By Area
Rank Country Area sq.km
1 Russia 17,098,242
2 Canada 9,984,670
3 United States 9,826,675
4 China 9,596,960

They lost millions and millions of people in WW2 to hold back German lead European expansion -
and they won't want a repeat of that - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties_of_the_Soviet_Union

World War II casualties of the Soviet Union from all related causes numbered over 20,000,000, both civilians and military, although the exact figures are disputed. The number of 20 million was considered official during Soviet era. In 1993 a study by the Russian Academy of Sciences estimated total Soviet population losses due to the war at 26.6 million,[1][2][3] including military dead of 8.7 million calculated by the Russian Ministry of Defense.[4]These figures have been accepted by most historians outside of Russia. However the official figure of 8.7 million military dead has been disputed by some Russian historians who believe the number of POW dead and missing is understated.[5] Officials at the Russian Central Defense Ministry Archive (CDMA) maintain that their database lists the names of roughly 14 million dead and missing service personnel.[6][7] Some critics in Russia put total losses in the war, both civilians and military, at over 40 million.

Edited by bee

2 hours ago, bee said:

sounds perfectly reasonable when you consider the anti Russia hysteria that is being whipped up in the West -

[...]

Have you seen/read Russian anti-western propaganda? Thats freaking comedy gold.

2 hours ago, bee said:

[...]

oh and I see you Godwinned your own thread in the first post - ^_^

Ah, sorry for that. Would you prefer "giving grenade to monkey" or "hiring Earl Bradley as kindergarten teacher"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

Ya that would work out well. It would meen the United States of Nothing. How do you think the US spy`s on other nations. Dial up maby, or snail mail. The Russians could care less about taking over the US. After all these companies are privatly owned. Maybe more should be done at home instead of pointing a finger. 

Well, Siberia to Russia is like USA to UK. US is now independent country, while Siberia is waiting for its time.

Siberia is feeding European part of Russia by large. Independent Siberia would be most rich country in the world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

But where from we would get all the wonderful spam that clogs mails and damaged brains? 

8 hours ago, Be.cause said:

Yes, but they are not as good. Neither is China's for that matter. They burrow heavily on Silicon Valley technology.

If you don't believe me, try Yandex, Russia's most popular internet-related services and products.

In fact, Yandex browser is based on Chromium, developped by Google engineers.

Yes, they are. I wouldn't know about China, but Russians are good. The reason why you don't see their (or Eastern European) solutions is purely the current western business philosophy. In a perfect world, your leading high techs would be mostly Eastern Europeans, for few generations, until we get spoiled with decent living. No, seriously. Nothing keeps your inner genius alive like the poverty and impending doom do.

Regarding trying Russian services at this particular moment... thanks, but no thanks. I've got enough problems already :D   

1 hour ago, bee said:

yeah because destabilizing countries and creating power vacuums works so well - like in the Middle East -
if your wish came true and that whole area of the world dissolved into chaos countries around the Russian
Border would be the first to get caught up in armed conflict, terrorism and economic collapse -

you would be begging the '''Ruskie Federation''' to come back and re-establish order so that Peace and Prosperity

Ha ha ha... Russkies were meddling in internal affairs of countries all around the world, but for some reason that doesn't bothers you. BTW, can you explain why Russians declared ISIS as terrorists only in 2015? 

And yeah, "begging" Russia for help is like asking Earl Bradley to look after your kids.

• Like 1

inspecting the security goods you buy should be normal practice , even a neutral country would like to do the same . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

But where from we would get all the wonderful spam that clogs mails and damaged brains? 

:lol:

Indeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bee said:

May they establish their peace and prosperity in your house.  

15 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Well, Siberia to Russia is like USA to UK. US is now independent country, while Siberia is waiting for its time.

Siberia is feeding European part of Russia by large. Independent Siberia would be most rich country in the world.

The globalists  would love to destabilize Russia to bring it closer to being part of a One World Government / economy -
Just like they are destabilizing America and Europe right now -

and you in your own small way are helping them.... :w00t:

Interesting what you said about Siberia - I suppose the success or failure of that ambitious plot would
be how many traitors the globalist political elite could get into positions of power in Siberia -

and how successfully the under thirties can be mind controlled and manipulated by social media like Facebook and Twitter - :hmm: