Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stone-cold facts about crystal healing

Claire.

Crystal Healing: Stone-Cold Facts About Gemstone Treatments

Crystal healing is an alternative medical technique in which crystals and other stones are used to cure ailments and protect against disease. Proponents of this technique believe that crystals act as conduits for healing — allowing positive, healing energy to flow into the body as negative, disease-causing energy flows out. 

Read more: Live Science

• Like 1

Good ol' placebo effect, allowing quackery to survive since time immemorial.

• Like 5

That's your opinion. I happen to have a quartz crystal that can wash away any anxieties that I might have when I hold it.

If it helps some people to feel better, I don't see the problem.

If anything, they're gorgeous to keep around and look at.

• Like 2

I tried it once, years ago.

Here is what I did, since a stone, like Rose Quartz, is claimed to help wound heal just by taping one over it I did just that when I scraped my knee while hiking on a gravel trail. (Trust me...that hurts just as much to an adult as it does to a child)

Now...here is the thing, I held absolutely no view on its efficiency one way or the other -after all it should work just like Bactine (old medicine for owwies, don't know if it still is sold) or some other salve, right? Well, guess what? Ready for it? It's really amazing and I was surprised (Not!) Nothing happened. The wound had not shown any signs of speedier healing in the slightest.  I even left it on for a couple of days. Zip. Zilch. Zippo. Nada....Nothing.

All I accomplished was getting my stone all icky so I removed it, washed it off as well as my wound and put a regular bandage on it. The problem I see with these placebo things is having people rely on them instead of using something real..heck, even a herbal salve for wounds is FAR better.

Stones are nice but they will not heal your broken bones, rid your body of cancer or heal neurological afflictions.  Telling people they have to "believe" in order for it to work is a horrible cop-out to use instead of saying that it just plain doesn't work.

But, as xYlvax said, at least the stones are nice to look at.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, xYlvax said:

That's your opinion. I happen to have a quartz crystal that can wash away any anxieties that I might have when I hold it.

Yeah, that's a pretty textbook example of the placebo effect. If someone thinks that a rock can make them feel better, that's fine. The problem is when crystal fraudsters make claims and promises about their hocus-pocus sorcery having a measurable and concrete effect, which we all know to be b******s.

Stones are pretty, and that's about the end of their usefullness.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 2

" Stones are pretty, and that's about the end of their usefulness.  "    

- well, to be fair, it was about crystals , specifically , not 'stones' . 

....  and  ; 

Image result for quartz crystal radio set

Ruby 

Quatz

Image result for crystals used in technology

schematic diagram of a cultured quartz crystal grown from a Y-oriented seed crystal

for use in fabricating AT-cut resonators.

Silicon: 

• Like 4

the ruby pic didnt take ,... try again 

....  not allowed  ...  I try another image 

Image-_ruby-laser_fin-241.jpg

Wiki ; 

The first working laser was a ruby laser made by Theodore H. "Ted" Maiman at Hughes Research Laboratories on May 16, 1960.[1][2]  

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 4

Quartz crystals hold energy. Like the above comments they are used in watches, computers, lasers etc.  They can also hold vast amounts of information . No they will not heal wounds or broken bones. But they definitely can help align and improve energy. Everything and everyone is energy so when you work with quartz and other crystals you're energy can align to its energy which is the most stable and perfect energy 

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Claire. said:

Crystal Healing: Stone-Cold Facts About Gemstone Treatments

Crystal healing is an alternative medical technique in which crystals and other stones are used to cure ailments and protect against disease. Proponents of this technique believe that crystals act as conduits for healing — allowing positive, healing energy to flow into the body as negative, disease-causing energy flows out. 

Read more: Live Science

for the article it only tells us placebo effect is real even in westernized institutionalized medicine, which is good but has some faults of ecomomics and being strictly closed to scientific rigidity.

science makes that medicine and healthcare good but science cannot validate crystal healing. for it is outside their domain.

neither should other academic branches find fault with other systems outside their domain.

it seems more competition on their part that is insane. for folk healers and ans traditonal medicine never says do not go to western institutinal doctors. some even go above and beyond and reccomend to go to them and usually they tried it and it didnt help them here in the West.

and the doctors never tell their patients when their medicine and treatment fails to go to them in return.

lovely and blessed and may science based institutional academics grow to learn to also imbue better ethics in their system for it is lacking in compassion qnd empathy as a whole.

and they want money money and charge more than necessary. their business side is full of greed.

so it is well they often comment on harms like baby necklaces if true

how many babies have died? where os that proof, or is it mere caution and not more contempt for it blurs with me when added in as another perceiced detriment sans any explanation of their perspective.

that article is all bad bad bad them. the author needs to quit being a hater for it manifests in their cycnicism masquerading as skepticism which had not hate.

thus hate also is on other areas of the authors life. i send bless and heal and compassion for i am not better just willing to perceive differently.

and last note is the article fails to even mention the weakness of their hailed heroic system which if truer to their mission would insure all the world is covered, as it is their responsibilty to grow internationally, if not and blame another nation's ecomomy then again we see they care less to heal the world and it is money as main goal and not healing all they can and grow that way. as healers want to heal all. they just dont care yet but will.

wiki says:

Traditional medicine (also known asindigenous or folk medicine) comprises medical aspects of traditional knowledge that developed over generations within various societies before the era of modern medicine. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines traditional medicine as "the sum total of the knowledge, skills, and practices based on the theories, beliefs, and experiences indigenous to different cultures, whether explicable or not, used in the maintenance of health as well as in the prevention, diagnosis, improvement or treatment of physical and mental illness".[1]

In some Asian and African countries, up to 80% of the population relies on traditional medicine for their primary health care needs. When adopted outside of its traditional culture, traditional medicine is often calledalternative medicine.[1] Practices known as traditional medicines include Ayurveda,Siddha medicineUnaniancient Iranian medicineIranian (Persian)Islamic medicine,traditional Chinese medicinetraditional Korean medicineacupunctureMutiIfá, andtraditional African medicine. Core disciplines which study traditional medicine includeherbalismethnomedicineethnobotany, andmedical anthropology.

and not all crystal healers are certified by any organization and those who are, are not in competition with science and formal institutons, which means the govt, economic, and social support in a society values economics more.

that informal institutions form is based simply on our society being based on institutions itself? be they formal or informal.

it is not a demerit on those orgs but reveals who we are and what we value. natural not abnormal. expected so no need to believe they lesser.

On 2017-06-29 at 1:29 AM, back to earth said:

" Stones are pretty, and that's about the end of their usefulness.  "    

- well, to be fair, it was about crystals , specifically , not 'stones' . 

-SNIP-

Yes, you're right, crystals have plenty of scientific and engineering uses. I meant that they were useless for the purposes of healing and medicine, but it was my fault for not being clear. Thanks for keeping me on-task.

The world we see is generally crystals be it mud or rocks or sand.

Crystal lovers think of crystals that have nice neat faces such as quartz crystals. The pretty crystal forms exhibit the mineral habit. A material can be a crystal without having that pretty habit. The reason quartz is pushed  is that it is plentiful as large pieces. Some crystals are small such as the crystals in agates. Other crystals are large as in quartz and calcite. Quartz is also hard unlike calcite which is soft and has cleavage planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_habit

I used to sell quartz crystals and other crystal specimens. I  used it to get cash on my long trips around the US. Crystals such as quartz are easy to  find and clean up. They wash easily, do not dissolve, and can be soaked in acids to remove coatings of other minerals. Those with quartz crystals should be aware that most quartz is extracted with explosives, heavy equipment, and cleaned in baths of hot acid.

If someone thinks that crystals can heal then try an experiment. Have a friend place crystals and noncrystals in containers so that it is not possible to determine which is in the container. Then use them. See if crystals work or  not.

• Like 1

It's more the perception of the mind than the crystals if someone wants something to work it normally does your brain is super awesome 

On Thursday, July 06, 2017 at 2:36 AM, SheShaman said:

Quartz crystals hold energy. Like the above comments they are used in watches, computers, lasers etc.  They can also hold vast amounts of information . No they will not heal wounds or broken bones. But they definitely can help align and improve energy. Everything and everyone is energy so when you work with quartz and other crystals you're energy can align to its energy which is the most stable and perfect energy 

Everything holds energy. Crystals used in watches are used to produce clock rate which itself happens when energy in form of voltage is applied and more recently crystals are replaced by far cheaper silicon alternatives . 

• Like 2

Crystals probably work as well as prayers, magnets, and sugar pills. Which is to say, they work, if you believe they will work.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2017 at 2:04 PM, xYlvax said:

As I've said before - when it comes to pseudoscientific woo, the middle ground allows the extremes to exist. Thinking it's acceptable to use a piece of rock to cleanse your house of "bad vibes" directly leads to industries that tells cancer sufferers to use homeopathy instead of actual treatment. You do not get the extremes without the middle ground. People treating cancer with acupuncture, parents starving babies on "breatharian" diets... This is why it the "what's the harm" arguments are so utterly unacceptable and should be treated as such.

As has been said on these boards many times before - talking bullsh*t is not a victimless crime.

On 7/8/2017 at 10:09 AM, DieChecker said:

Crystals probably work as well as prayers, magnets, and sugar pills. Which is to say, they work, if you believe they will work.

1aec09603d576aeaf4be75cfe8f1dd6e31ed55b3

Did someone say Placebo Effect?

• Like 1

Crystals are pretty but they don't heal or have magic powers. If you like the way they look collect them.  

Somewhere in my home we have 2 pieces of Amethyst for the simple fact mom liked purple and thought they were pretty.

At one point I had 3 pieces of Rose Quartz because I thought they were pretty, did they bring love or healing or anything NO. What did bring love in my case was looking for it. 

The same could be said about good luck charms and spells they don't work.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:06 PM, SheShaman said:

Welcome to UM.  Quartz crystals hold energy, a pile of dirt holds energy.  What quartz crystals hold much better than a pile of dire is order - the opposite of entropy, or information if you choose to call it that, a lot of information as you say.  You are getting into modern physics and information theory.  Stephen Hawking, Brian Greene, and Leonard Suskind among others have written very approachable books on the subject and have TED talks too I believe.

On 7/6/2017 at 7:06 AM, SheShaman said:

Quartz can generate a type of electricity and a filed. There are  large seams of quartz under ground, where they come near the surface they can attract lightning .... I have a 'lightning spot' up the back of my property, up near the back high ridge but down from the top . 

Lightning CAN hit more than once in the same place :) 

Electromagnetic energy (including GEME - from the earth) can effect change in  consciousness and brain / mind function. 

On 7/7/2017 at 6:44 AM, Podo said:

Yes, you're right, crystals have plenty of scientific and engineering uses. I meant that they were useless for the purposes of healing and medicine, but it was my fault for not being clear. Thanks for keeping me on-task.

Image result for whip crack gif

• Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 11:40 PM, stereologist said:

The world we see is generally crystals be it mud or rocks or sand.

Image result for sand under the microscope

(  sand  :)   ) 

On 7/5/2017 at 10:06 PM, SheShaman said:

I don't think you understand what "energy" is. The most common new age mistake.

• Like 2