Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

~200 million voter files exposed

bmk1245

Data firm working for Trump exposed 198 mn voter files: researchers

A data analytics firm that worked on the Republican campaign of Donald Trump exposed personal information belonging to some 198 million Americans, or nearly every eligible registered voter, security researchers said Monday.

Researchers at the consultancy Upguard said they discovered a "misconfigured database" containing sensitive personal details of the US voter database operated by Deep Root Analytics and used by the Republican National Committee in the 2016 election campaign.

[...]

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-firm-trump-exposed-mn-voter.html#jCp

WTH?!

I don't give a ʞɔnɟ what affiliations are (reps or dems), but seriously, WTF?

Edit: link fixed

Edited by bmk1245
  • Like 1

Sounds like a treasure trove of data that scammers will use to rip Americans off.   Finally, a real purpose for the voters.  

25 minutes ago, Yamato said:

Sounds like a treasure trove of data that scammers will use to rip Americans off.   Finally, a real purpose for the voters.  

I hope that'll not happen.

4 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

I hope that'll not happen.

But then we're back to voting serving no purpose again.  It's a trade off.

Americans are primed and ready to start submitting to retina scans at the airport.   Once that happens, they'll be eyeballing it through the rest of life too (work, school et al)

At this point, Americans won't start to care about privacy from someone blowing rainbows up their grill on a message board.  They'll have to get hurt by their loss of privacy in real money terms.  Unfortunately.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yamato said:

But then we're back to voting serving no purpose again.  It's a trade off.

Americans are primed and ready to start submitting to retina scans at the airport.   Once that happens, they'll be eyeballing it through the rest of life too (work, school et al)

At this point, Americans won't start to care about privacy from someone blowing rainbows up their grill on a message board.  They'll have to get hurt by their loss of privacy in real money terms.  Unfortunately.

Did a job at a coal gasification plant two years back.  One of the companies had a retinal scanner for clocking in and out.  So it's here already.  I have also seen thumb-print scanners for clocking in and out.  Most places still just use a badge though.

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Did a job at a coal gasification plant two years back.  One of the companies had a retinal scanner for clocking in and out.  So it's here already.  I have also seen thumb-print scanners for clocking in and out.  Most places still just use a badge though.

Aye that's the perfect anecdote for the kind of rationalizations we'll be hearing a lot more of in the near future to expand the practice to everyone.   "Well Joe down at the plant has been doing that for years, and look at him, he's alright."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

WTH?!

I wouldn't put it past someone within the firm intentionally doing this to damage the Republicans. Wouldn't surprise me at all with all the fanatical attacks towards Republican representatives and voters with the use of violence, rhetoric, slandering, and dehumanizing.

Edited by Uncle Sam

2 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

I wouldn't put it past someone within the firm intentionally doing this to damage the Republicans. Wouldn't surprise me at all with all the fanatical attacks towards Republican representatives and voters with the use of violence, rhetoric, slandering, and dehumanizing.

Trump won. Republicans won a majority in the House and Senate.  Every retirement on the Supreme Court is going to slant the court toward Republicans.  Even the latest elections have validated the Republican candidate.  Why do you keep feeling like victims?  You are driving the bus now, can't have it both ways.  Start talking about what you are going to do to improve America and help us all instead of  why you can't take action.   Are Republicans just the biggest whining snowflakes ever?  So what if people dehumanize you?  Have you not done the same?  If you believe in yourself, then go for it.  You govern,  Now do it.

5 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

I'm sure it was sheer incompetence/negligence. Responsible for that deserve wolf ticket...

23 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

WTH?!

Well, according to those who defend what Clinton did with her server, unless someone died, there is no foul.

Myself, I think these people should be strung up (metaphorically) as examples, so future data crunchers don't do the same thing.

Edited by DieChecker

12 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Well, according to those who defend what Clinton did with her server, unless someone died, there is no foul.

Myself, I think these people should be strung up (metaphorically) as examples, so future data crunchers don't do the same thing.

My feelings as well. Or, better, castrate them, stupidity tends to be hereditary.