Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Metaphysical Nature of Mind and Reality

OntarioSquatch

Some of the biggest and most troubling questions in philosophy have been, "what is the meaning of life?", "why does any of this exist?", and "why am I myself?". Interestingly, by creating a philosophical model of how psychic phenomenon works, you're also simultaneously creating a model of reality itself, and it explains some of the biggest questions in philosophy.

Given the nature of these questions, the best place to start looking for clues is aspects of reality that appear to have a metaphysical nature rather than a physical one, as physics itself isn't an observer of physics, and therefore can't be used to explain the inception of physics. 

Consciousness itself appears to be a window to useful insight, as no amount of physical determinism or randomness can explain consciousness, therefore something higher must be involved, and that by definition is metaphysical. 

The two key aspects of what people call psychic phenomenon are

1) Obtaining information of somewhere in space without the use of biological senses

2) Obtaining information of a point in time other than the present without the use of biological senses

"Less vivid" psychic phenomenon is normally experienced in the form of feelings that we get without initially being aware of the cause of them. From this, one can infer that the experience is actually happening on a subconscious level, and the transfer of information from the subconscious to the conscious part of the mind is being limited by what may be a variety of physiological and mental factors. That would explain why more "vivid" psychic experiences are rarer in occurrence. 

If the two key aspects of psychic phenomenon are taken as being real, then one can infer that all of space, and all of time exists within the subconscious part of the mind simultaneously. As a result, it seems there was never a point in time that the universe didn't exist, as time itself is a correlate of the universe and doesn't exist independently of it. 

Worth noting that the physical world itself from the time of the Big Bang is self-consistent and consequently, logical in nature. In other words, everything in the physical world makes sense.

"Near-death" experiences and "life after death" (which can be observed through remote-viewing) are yet another aspect of the mind that can be used to gain insight into the deep nature of reality. If you're well-read on this phenomenon, then you probably know that the experiences in these other planes of existence also appear to be physical in nature, but the key difference is that it's not self-consistently logical like the physical reality our mind is presently focused on. In these other planes of existence, the physicality is defined by our beliefs, desires, and expectations. This is very important, as it suggests that it is the mind itself that holds reality, and the reason why the mind even holds reality is the teleological purpose we serve within this self-consistently logical "starting point" that we call the universe. To break this teleology (the purpose our mind serves), our biological body in this particular physical plane of existence must die. 

If there's one collective mind of reality and it's partitioned in a manner where conscious awareness can only exist from individual perspectives, then one can infer that it's not random that you're you, as we're all one in a sense.

Summary of Key Points:

- Space-time is contained within the mind, and doesn't exist outside of it

- There was never a point in time where the universe didn't exist

- There's one collective mind, but conscious awareness is partitioned to separate individuals, and individual points in time

- God may not exist, but the mind itself partly fulfills the definition of god, as it's the ruler and holder of reality

- Our existence is due to the teleological purpose our mind serves within this logical construct that we call the universe

Edited by OntarioSquatch
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Logic is a pyramid. Keep climbing. I've heard there's a big I at the top.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:17 AM, OntarioSquatch said:

Worth noting that the physical world itself from the time of the Big Bang is self-consistent and consequently, logical in nature. In other words, everything in the physical world makes sense.

So it should be since we live in and derive our understanding from the natural world. You seem to be implying our logic came before experiencing the outside world, which doesn't really make sense.

The idea is that all of time exists simultaneously in our collective mind. Time itself is an illusion from which we get the idea of before and after.

• Like 2

Our biological senses act as placebos that trigger information to play for our conscious awareness. With psychic viewing, you're doing it without any such placebo. Consequently, with psychic viewing, you're not bound to any particular time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/06/2017 at 7:17 AM, OntarioSquatch said:

Some of the biggest and most troubling questions in philosophy have been, "what is the meaning of life?", "why does any of this exist?", and "why am I myself?". Interestingly, by creating a philosophical model of how psychic phenomenon works, you're also simultaneously creating a model of reality itself, and it explains some of the biggest questions in philosophy.

Given the nature of these questions, the best place to start looking for clues is aspects of reality that appear to have a metaphysical nature rather than a physical one, as physics itself isn't an observer of physics, and therefore can't be used to explain the inception of physics. 

Consciousness itself appears to be a window to useful insight, as no amount of physical determinism or randomness can explain consciousness, therefore something higher must be involved, and that by definition is metaphysical. 

The two key aspects of what people call psychic phenomenon are

1) Obtaining information of somewhere in space without the use of biological senses

2) Obtaining information of a point in time other than the present without the use of biological senses

"Less vivid" psychic phenomenon is normally experienced in the form of feelings that we get without initially being aware of the cause of them. From this, one can infer that the experience is actually happening on a subconscious level, and the transfer of information from the subconscious to the conscious part of the mind is being limited by what may be a variety of physiological and mental factors. That would explain why more "vivid" psychic experiences are rarer in occurrence. 

If the two key aspects of psychic phenomenon are taken as being real, then one can infer that all of space, and all of time exists within the subconscious part of the mind simultaneously. As a result, it seems there was never a point in time that the universe didn't exist, as time itself is a correlate of the universe and doesn't exist independently of it. 

"Near-death" experiences and "life after death" (which can be observed through remote-viewing) are yet another aspect of the mind that can be used to gain insight into the deep nature of reality. If you're well-read on this phenomenon, then you probably know that the experiences in these other planes of existence also appear to be physical in nature, but the key difference is that it's not self-consistently logical like the physical reality our mind is presently focused on. In these other planes of existence, the physicality is defined by our beliefs, desires, and expectations. This is very important, as it suggests that it is the mind itself that holds reality, and the reason why the mind even holds reality is the teleological purpose we serve within this self-consistently logical "starting point" that we call the universe. To break this teleology (the purpose our mind serves), our biological body in this particular physical plane of existence must die. 

If there's one collective mind of reality and it's partitioned in a manner where conscious awareness can only exist from individual perspectives, then one can infer that it's not random that you're you, as we're all one in a sense.

Summary of Key Points:

- Space-time is contained within the mind, and doesn't exist outside of it

- There's one collective mind, but conscious awareness is partitioned to separate individuals, and individual points in time

- God may not exist, but the mind itself partly fulfills the definition of god, as it's the ruler and holder of reality

- Our existence is due to the teleological purpose our mind serves within this logical construct that we call the universe

Its a good explanation which fits some of my own experiences in life but i don't think it fits modern science Time is linear and consequential   We exist at one point along a long time line . the future does not exist as yet and indeed there are many potential futures, any one of which might become the present and then the past.

We cant exist in the past because the conditions required for our existence are not met until a certain point along the time line  

Humans are late comers to the universe and thus it has always existed outside our minds, and prior to humans developing the self awareness required to ponder on such things.

Our minds ponder on the nature of life and existence because they can, and they need to to develop answers to questions a self aware mind is evolved to ask to stop it being afraid and refusing to exist in a chaotic and dangerous world . A mind constructs meanings as a part of a survival technique to compensate for its awareness of dangers, cause and effect, the nature of life and death etc.   When a mind realises it exists isolated from other minds it reaches out and constructs concepts to stop it being afraid and to connect it to those other minds.    

One of the biggest problems with presentism is the need for a point of universal non-existence. In other words, in order for presentism to be true, the universe would have had to arose from a complete lack of information. Logically, this would impossible, regardless of what system of reality one conjures up in their mind. 

Another major (but similarly sophisticated) issue is the actualization of consciousness as it relates to time. Prior to an individual's birth, the potential for the actualization of consciousness would have to exist for all points in time, and all personalities. In other words, there isn't anything that would select conciousness to exist for just one individual being or one individual point in time. So based on that, this appearance of separate minds and randomness is an illusion. The idea that we're all "one" is actually more valid than we imagine

--

If humanity continues to advance, academia will eventually reach a point where it'll be widely accepted that the mind is metaphysical/supernatural, and not produced by the brain. It'll be quite a hurdle, but understanding of this relationship between mind and matter can lead to some very big advancements in the intentional use and manipulation of psychic phenomena. At the moment, the general understanding of this relationship is very limited, inaccurate, and is mainly being progressed outside of mainstream science.

Edited by OntarioSquatch
  • Like 3

You said:

Consciousness itself appears to be a window to useful insight, as no amount of physical determinism or randomness can explain consciousness, therefore something higher must be involved, and that by definition is metaphymetaphysical.

Unfortunately this is a logical fallacy. Physical determinism does not yet have the complete picture of consciousness but it is quite far down the track to explaining it.

To say 'because we don't know this, it must mean that is true' is a logical fallacy called Ad Ignorantiam.

As this is a fundamental principle underlying the rest of your post I feel it needs addressing before going further.

I definitely wrote that improperly. In fact, much of the first post should be rewritten for accuracy and simplicity. Correction;

The mind is metaphysical/supernatural because of its characteristics, which I've been listing. It's not because it hasn't been properly explained by physics. The idea that we haven't properly explained it through physics is just one of many potential reasons that people might want study it when trying to better understand the deep nature of reality.

The main idea within this thread is that physics is defined by the mind, and the mind consists of both personal and non-personal telesis. With personal telesis, physics is defined by aspects by personality (i.e. beliefs, desires), and this explains a plethora of supernatural phenomena (e.g. "NDEs/"afterlife", vivid remote viewing, telekinesis). An example of non-personal telesis is the generation of the physics that comprise this universe that our personalities originate from. Non-personal aspects of the mind tend to be very fixed, and unchangable. In other words, you're going to have trouble manipulating the physics of this universe using your personality, but worth noting that it can be done to some extent, and it's most often done in the form of telekinesis (a rare supernatural phenomenon).

Currently, one of the biggest problems with promoting the study of psychic phenomena within the mainstream community is that vivid psychic phenomena is anomalous, and very difficult to replicate. This difficulty in replicating results makes successful experiments suspicious. It's made even more difficult by the fact that psychic phenomena can't be physically measured. It's quite hurdle to overcome, but if we do continue to advance, it'll be inevitable.

Edited by OntarioSquatch
  • Like 2

'The main idea within this thread is that physics is defined by the mind, and the mind consists of both personal and non-personal telesis.'

Yet physics itself is not defined by the mind, only the nomenclature of physics is. We are simply using language to describe a physical reality that existed prior to and completely independently of the human mind.

A definition created by a mind to categorise physical phenomena does not equal that phenomena existing because it was created in the mind.

The mind is in fact a product of physics having already existed. The laws of physics could exist outside of our universe, we have no proof either way. 

I'm not able to explain the most important ideas as accurately and coherently as I would like to. This is largely because I myself don't entirely understand it :blush:

It's easily the most complex problem I've ever dealt with, but at the same time it's very addicting. I'll have to try again when I think I have a completely sound understanding of it

Edited by OntarioSquatch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

'The main idea within this thread is that physics is defined by the mind, and the mind consists of both personal and non-personal telesis.'

Yet physics itself is not defined by the mind, only the nomenclature of physics is. We are simply using language to describe a physical reality that existed prior to and completely independently of the human mind.

A definition created by a mind to categorise physical phenomena does not equal that phenomena existing because it was created in the mind.

The mind is in fact a product of physics having already existed. The laws of physics could exist outside of our universe, we have no proof either way. 

A theory of everything needs to allow for time to work both forwards and backwards, not just forwards. Time and causality need to be catagorized as illusions, which in reality they are. Physical experience needs to be described as a language that's recognized by consciousness, which is metaphysical, not physical.

The idea that conciousness and emotions can be properly explained through physics is easily the biggest mistake within academia right now,

Edited by OntarioSquatch
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, OntarioSquatch said:

The idea that conciousness and emotions can be properly explained through physics is easily the biggest mistake within academia right now,

It really isn't and I believe AI will prove this soon enough.

First we require a working, scalable quantum computer. Once we have the necessary computing power our evolutionary algorithms and machine deep learning techniques will propel AI to levels only dreamed of previously.

If this is a good thing or not I'm undecided, but it seems almost inevitable. Perhaps we are reaching the point of the Great Filter. Fingers crossed we make it.

• 1 month later...
On 24. 06. 2017. at 11:47 PM, OntarioSquatch said:

Space-time is contained within the mind, and doesn't exist outside of it

What is time really? We can easily create in our minds a notion of space. But time is somewhat different. We cannot really create a clear sense of it. We can only see it's consequencies. So for me time is a pretty mysterious thing. If it even exists at all.

• Like 1

Many ancient theologies assert that this reality as we humans view it from our present point of evolution is in fact an illusion. What do they mean by that? Our only weapons in a quest for grasping the nature of reality are our senses and our mental capacity. A sharp sense of logic is one of the tools to climb a bit higher towards understanding. But what if there is a point in which what we perceive as logic - ends. What if there is a higher state or states of cosciousness which are necessary to grasp metaphysical reality? I am almost sure this is the case. Our current abilites are limited to answer to the real nature of reality. As there is some sort of consciousness in lower kingdoms of nature the consciousness of man is also just more level on top of them. Everything is consciousness only on different levels. There are also various schools of thought which say that human being has a potential to enter this higher states of consciousness which are latent in him. Some call it illumination others awakening etc.

• Like 1

It is important to understand that the conscious mind is uncomfortable with uncertainties,  paradoxes in sensory perception confuse it and therefore to maintain its equilibrium it will formulate a reality of its own, rejecting anything which runs counter to it. Thus we become isolated from the greater reality, closed in by the interpretations we place on what comes to us through our limiting sensory perceptions. This is why Children,  who are governed mainly by the subconscious,  have a perception of reality different from that of Adults who have been conditioned towards perspectives governed by the conscious mind...

Edited by MauriOra
  • Like 1

Might there not be another format of reality? One in which many things exist which are excluded from our knowledge through the limitations of our senses? There are dog whistles pitched so high that they cannot be heard by human ears, yet they are easily heard by dogs. What else does a dog hear that humans do not? Why do radio and television sets pick up the frequencies of sound and sight that surge about and through us, yet we remain completely insensitive to them? Without the instrument to interpret them we would be ignorant of the sounds and sights available to us. They become real to us only when we have some means of bringing them into our range of comprehension.  Might not very much more of reality be available to us if we had the means for apprehending it?...

• Like 1

Metaphysics is essentially the art of living, which is, how it was anciently described. Human life is inseparable from nature. The more the two are divided the more artificial and superficial human life becomes...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Why do you read the CTMU and write about it here then give no credit and also exclude the most notable discovery in Chris Langan's theory that is God's existence, are you a troll?

On 9/16/2019 at 12:38 AM, brian100 said:

imagine being born a gorrilla and then looked in the mirror to find out its true. Imagine the questions that arise from that discovery.

What?

• Like 1

On 6/25/2017 at 7:47 AM, OntarioSquatch said:

"what is the meaning of life?", 

This makes the assumption that there has to be a meaning. That it therefore has intention behind it. This isn't necessarily so.

"why does any of this exist?"

Great question. Philosophy is unlikely to be much of use there though.

"why am I myself?"

Although not intuitive, that might first require definition of exactly what you mean by "myself".

The assumptions most people begin with here seem based on illusions anyway, which can be more obvious especially as you begin defining it.

Philosophy is the wrong field for this if you wish to go beyond interesting conversation. They have had millennia to grapple with this and have only convoluted and complicated it.

Edited by Horta