Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kenneth Arnold UFOs

taniwha

Saturday marks the 70th anniversary of Kenneth Arnold's seminal UFO sighting which is credited as start of the modern UFO era and spawned the term 'flying saucer.'

Occurring just days before the infamous Roswell incident, the Arnold event took place on June 24th, 1947, when the private pilot was flying past Mount Rainier in Washington state and purportedly spotted a veritable armada of nine UFOs soaring past his plane.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/kenneth-arnold-ufo-case-turns-70

• Like 2

Perhaps the greatest UFO sighting ever.

In his own words...

BY KENNETH ARNOLD

The following story of what I observed over the Cascade mountains, as impossible as it may seem, is positively true. I never asked nor wanted any notoriety for just accidentally being in the right spot at the right time to observe what I did. I reported something that I know any pilot would have reported. I don't think that in any way my observation was due to any sensitivity of eye sight or judgment than what is considered normal for any pilot.

On June 24th, Tuesday, 1947, I had finished my work for the Central Air Service at Chehalis, Washington, and at about two o'clock I took off from Chehalis, Washington, airport with the intention of going to Yakima, Wash. My trip was delayed for an hour to search for a large marine transport that supposedly went down near or around the southwest side of Mt. Rainier in the state of Washington and to date has never been found.

http://www.project1947.com/fig/ka.htm

Any theories on the sightings or further information would be welcome.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2017 at 6:13 PM, taniwha said:

Perhaps the greatest UFO sighting ever.

In his own words...

http://www.project1947.com/fig/ka.htm

My trip was delayed for an hour to search for a large marine transport that supposedly went down near or around the southwest side of Mt. Rainier in the state of Washington and to date has never been found.

As a sidenote, I looked into the mystery disappearance of the aircraft refered to by Arnold.

Overshadowed by his own infamous sighting, it is a tragic and sad story all of itself.

If you find the time, here is a very good telling of that fateful flight. 

•  

On December 10, 1946, six Curtis Commando R5C transport planes carrying more than 200 U.S. Marines leave San Diego en route to Seattle. The aircraft, flying entirely by instruments at an altitude of 9,000 feet, encounter heavy weather over southwest Washington. Four turn back, landing at the Portland Airport; one manages to land safely in Seattle, but the sixth plane, carrying 32 Marines, vanishes.

http://www.historylink.org/File/7820

On 25/06/2017 at 6:13 PM, taniwha said:

The best theory I discovered so far was discussed here already in 2011, that the aircraft witnessed by Arnold were NOT from outer space but were in fact stolen German technology being tested by the USAF and further developed to become the stealth bombers we know today.

Its a compelling argument made less convincing due to the fact that for some reason the truth of this, if it is the truth, still remains top secret.

The question would be why is it still classified, what good does it do to bamboozle people into believing an untruth when the bombers have already been revealed? ....  If it is an untruth, that is.

Here is the original thread. Worth a look.

And if the seed of modern UFO/ Alien fascination was to be finally revealed as a chance sighting of a secret test flight then will people's minds be freed and the UFO culture disappear forever? :rolleyes:

Would the world be any different I wonder?

Hi Guys,

Aliens cannot survive on this planet . there is nothing more advanced being than humans so everything they put on the news or tv is just not true.

• Like 1

Kenneth Arnold is a credible witness, a journalist and the times he was in (1940s after WW2) : the world opened their eyes and minds on the possibility of space travel and extraterrestrial life. Also 70 years ago was the Roswell UFO crash incident (there are plenty of threads to discuss this on UM) further expanding the UFO phenomenon. I believe his story completely and the following "flying saucer" wave that year, the term Kenneth Arnold coined comparing the 9 UFOs fly like "saucers dipped into water". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, solid said:

Hi Guys,

Aliens cannot survive on this planet.

How do you know?

8 hours ago, solid said:

there is nothing more advanced being than humans

We don't know as 100% factual, but I do agree with you. ET visitation is not happening. It is a close to 100% factual as it can possibly get.

8 hours ago, solid said:

so everything they put on the news or tv is just not true.

ET visitation has been in the news as something that is happening?

Cheers,
Badeskov

8 minutes ago, badeskov said:

How do you know?

We don't know as 100% factual, but I do agree with you. ET visitation is not happening. It is a close to 100% factual as it can possibly get.

ET visitation has been in the news as something that is happening?

Cheers,
Badeskov

goes back to nothing more advanced than human species . I don't think we will ever see any aliens that are far more advanced in technology than humans ever..

Just now, solid said:

goes back to nothing more advanced than human species . I don't think we will ever see any aliens that are far more advanced in technology than humans ever..

Sadly, I agree with you. One can always hope, but I certainly do not expect to see any of the sort in my lifetime.

Cheers,
Badeskov

2 hours ago, Solipsi Rai said:

Kenneth Arnold is a credible witness, a journalist and the times he was in (1940s after WW2) : the world opened their eyes and minds on the possibility of space travel and extraterrestrial life. Also 70 years ago was the Roswell UFO crash incident (there are plenty of threads to discuss this on UM) further expanding the UFO phenomenon. I believe his story completely and the following "flying saucer" wave that year, the term Kenneth Arnold coined comparing the 9 UFOs fly like "saucers dipped into water". 

Hi i respect the possibility of space travel and thing but there is nothing out there that visited planet earth. They will not be able to prove any aliens that are more technologically advanced than humans.

On 25/06/2017 at 7:08 AM, taniwha said:

Saturday marks the 70th anniversary of Kenneth Arnold's seminal UFO sighting which is credited as start of the modern UFO era and spawned the term 'flying saucer.'

Arnold didn't see saucer shaped objects- he described them as horse-shoe shaped moving as if skipped on water= a jerking kinda movement....

'Saucer' as in the shape was a reporting error!

I've always wondered if 'cubes' would have been reported around the world if the reporting error was: 'cube-shaped' 

• Like 1

The problem with Kenneth Arnold's story is that he says the objects were 50 miles away and I maintain that at that distance they would be nothing but tiny dots, if visible at all, and there is absolutely no way he could see their shape.

• Like 5

Kenneth Arnold seems like a credible witness to me, though that doesn't mean he saw extraterrestrial vehicles. I fully believe that he saw something. I don't think he lied or hoaxed, nor do I think he was milking his experience for money or fame. It's more likely that it was misidentification of Earth-based technology or phenomenon.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Podo said:

Kenneth Arnold seems like a credible witness to me, though that doesn't mean he saw extraterrestrial vehicles. I fully believe that he saw something. I don't think he lied or hoaxed, nor do I think he was milking his experience for money or fame. It's more likely that it was misidentification of Earth-based technology or phenomenon.

I think he saw something as well but at 50 miles, even on a clear day, details are not possible.  It would, literally, be a bunch of small dots.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:16 AM, Merc14 said:

The problem with Kenneth Arnold's story is that he says the objects were 50 miles away and I maintain that at that distance they would be nothing but tiny dots, if visible at all, and there is absolutely no way he could see their shape.

He originally said 20 - 25 miles, but close examination puts him at around 18 - 20 miles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lost_shaman said:

He originally said 20 - 25 miles, but close examination puts him at around 18 - 20 miles.

Please show your references for this as he said 50 miles in his written report.  I am sure someone like me called BS and laughed him out of the room and so he likely changed it  to something more reasonable.   Even at your lower range, however, it would be nearly impossible to get basic shapes and such.  The aircraft he saw were fairly close to the dimensions of an F-14, a jet I am infinitely familiar with and the below chart shows that merely seeing the craft at that range.   The entire document is here  file:///C:/Users/mfmer/Downloads/ADA241347.pdf

From the PDF:

Target size determines the detection lobe size by increasing or decreasing the visual image size and, hence, the detection range. A head-on aircraft is much harder to see than one with a side or belly view because the image size is smaller. This principle is demonstrated in Fig. 3. Under a very specific set of conditions, this graph estimates the maximum (central acuity) visual detection ranges for several aircraft with extremes of target aspect (front, side, and belly views). This is based on a comprehensive study of fighter pilot vision conducted by the Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory, NAMRL (8).

Capture.JPG

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Please show your references for this as he said 50 miles in his written report.  I am sure someone like me called BS and laughed him out of the room and so he likely changed it  to something more reasonable.   Even at your lower range, however, it would be nearly impossible to get basic shapes and such.  The aircraft he saw were fairly close to the dimensions of an F-14, a jet I am infinitely familiar with and the below chart shows that merely seeing the craft at that range.   The entire document is here  file:///C:/Users/mfmer/Downloads/ADA241347.pdf

"I observed them quite plainly, and I estimate my distance from them, which was almost at right angles, to be between twenty to twenty-five miles." - Kenneth Arnold

Kenneth Arnold's written report.

29 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

"I observed them quite plainly, and I estimate my distance from them, which was almost at right angles, to be between twenty to twenty-five miles." - Kenneth Arnold

Kenneth Arnold's written report.

I reread the report and this is what it said

I observed them quite plainly, and I estimate my distance from them, which was almost at right angles, to be between twenty to twenty-five miles. I knew they must be very large to observe their shape at that distance, even on as clear a day as it was that Tuesday, In fact I compared a zeus fastener or cowling tool I had in my pocket with them - holding it up on them and holding it up on the DC-4 - that I could observe at quite a distance to my left, and they seemed smaller than the DC-4; but, I should judge their span would have been as wide as the furtherest engines on each side of the fuselage of the DC-4.

The report I read said 50 miles but fine, I admit a mistake but absolutely no way you can tell the characteristics of an aircraft at 20-25 miles.  Zero chance.  I flew fighters for many years and I discussed  visual ID distances with a whole bunch pf Navy Fighter pilots I work with and absolutely no one thinks there is any chance in hell someone could describe the shape of an aircraft at 20 miles much less even see it.  

Obviously he saw something but being an experienced aviator whose job was hunting and killing other aircraft I can guarantee there is no way that Arnold could see those details on the aircraft he measured at even 20 miles.   Read that report, there is nothing better and then ask yourself the questions.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

What you are clearly hung up on is the DC-4 Arnold thought was 14 miles away. However, no one knows exactly how far away the DC-4 was from Arnold. It could have been quite a bit closer than 14 miles. 

2 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

What you are clearly hung up on is the DC-4 Arnold thought was 14 miles away. However, no one knows exactly how far away the DC-4 was from Arnold. It could have been quite a bit closer than 14 miles. 

Not hung up at all. His numbers are what he offered and generally I'd double ANYTHING an inexperienced eyewitness guesses.   The ONLY reason I feel I can judge distances in the air from my aircraft to another is I had a very advanced air to air radar at my disposal (AWG-9). 

Also, An aircraft was lost that day with several USMC troops on board and I am sure the system diverted any and all aircraft into the area.  He probably saw a flight of jets enroute to wherever taking a look off their flight path, I have done the same.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Not hung up at all. His numbers are what he offered and generally I'd double ANYTHING an inexperienced eyewitness guesses.

Ok. That's fine, but his guesses come after he said "I observed them quite plainly," for the UFO's and he stated he could also see an aircraft that was ID'ed as the DC-4.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Also, An aircraft was lost that day with several USMC troops on board and I am sure the system diverted any and all aircraft into the area.  He probably saw a flight of jets enroute to wherever taking a look off their flight path, I have done the same.

The aircraft Arnold was looking for was not lost that day.

A Curtis Commando R5C transport plane crashes into Mount Rainier, killing 32 U.S. Marines, on December 10, 1946.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lost_shaman said:

Yes, I believe the details of which is already covered in depth.

Refer post #5 above ;)

• The topic was locked