Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Running out of steam here...

reportaufo

Hey guys, 

I am new here and this is my very first post. I am in my 30s and I'm really interested in the subject of UFOs. I was so into this subject that I invested time and money to create a website called reportaufo.com (not advertising at all) to see if I can get any first-hand reports and proof, but so far no smoking gun, which brings me to my next point. I have noticed over the years that every radio show or youtube program out there about ufos have been pursuing one goal and one goal only - they are nothing but infomercials for people trying to sell their books or movies. Books and movies that reiterate the same old beat up stories we all know well like Roswell, Rendlesham forest, etc. Does anyone else have the same feeling? Is no one genuinely interested in this anymore? None of the radio shows even question what the opponents and guests of the show are saying, and sometimes you can hear so much absurd that fails to pass the very simple smell test. What is happening to the UFO subject? We've had more credible reports before all the camera phones were available than we do have now. I am really running out of steam and very disappointed with the way things have been going. The scary question that lingers on my mind is - could this all be a giant hoax?

• Like 6

Welcome to UM reportaufo :st Please, take time to read the site rules, check out some threads, and enjoy your time here on UM :tu:

I'm not sure what all you mean by a giant hoax.. do you mean the entirety of UFO legends that have been going on for decades has all been one orchestrated effort to hoodwink the general public?

Just now, reportaufo said:

Hey guys, 

I am new here and this is my very first post. I am in my 30s and I'm really interested in the subject of UFOs. I was so into this subject that I invested time and money to create a website called reportaufo.com (not advertising at all) to see if I can get any first-hand reports and proof, but so far no smoking gun, which brings me to my next point. I have noticed over the years that every radio show or youtube program out there about ufos have been pursuing one goal and one goal only - they are nothing but infomercials for people trying to sell their books or movies. Books and movies that reiterate the same old beat up stories we all know well like Roswell, Rendlesham forest, etc. Does anyone else have the same feeling? Is no one genuinely interested in this anymore? None of the radio shows even question what the opponents and guests of the show are saying, and sometimes you can hear so much absurd that fails to pass the very simple smell test. What is happening to the UFO subject? We've had more credible reports before all the camera phones were available than we do have now. I am really running out of steam and very disappointed with the way things have been going. The scary question that lingers on my mind is - could this all be a giant hoax?

Welcome to the forum!

I think largely what we're seeing happen is the ever dreamed of "disclosure" its just being done in drips. The issue of alien life is kind of a done one, it exists. The question now is whether it is visiting us or not and technology is IMO almost more of a curse in the quest for finding that answer than it is a blessing. I mean short of knowing the person doing the filming, or there being multiple people filming the same thing, I dont believe anything I see on video. Its just too easy to fake. 

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum.

Personally I find the idea that life exists elsewhere in this universe very logical and sensible. I even believe it is quite common and entertain the idea of advanced civilizations existing out there. I also entertain the idea of life, or something like it, existing in other universes/planes of existence/whatever you wanna call something like that which we are not normally able to perceive or understand.

Where it stops with me is all the (often pseudo-religious) UFO folklore that started with Rosswell. All the Plaiadans and Nordics and Greys, and mutilated cattle and Reptilians on the Moon and Soultraps and Soulmatrixes and remote viewing of Jupiter and Nazi aliens and evil alien invaders that disguise themselves as scantly clad women in order to fondle watermelons at the grocery store, let alone stuff like good old Ishtar zooming in her shell-pod from Nibiru to feed us Anunaki juice so that we can mine some gold for mama. Same with all the supposed organizations that "the government" is employing to keep it all secret.

That's imho the stuff that just gets made up to sell books.

The weakest link, imho, are always the flimsy explanations as to why "the government" hushes it all up. I mean with Science Fiction being a popular genre since decades now, why would the idea of aliens cause mass panic? People would be exited about a reveal like that! And IF "the aliens" would be these super-powerful, malevolent creatures...then why all the cloak and mirror tactics? Why not just round us up and shove us in some human farms or whatever? It just doesn't make sense.

I don't think that ALL of it is a "giant hoax", encounters could be attributed to a number of things; dreams, sleep paralysis, hallucinations, genuine encounters with beings from somewhere else and I'm ready to even grant the odd ship coming to earth for whatever reason. However, as with everything, you will find those people who will attempt to exploit a thing for money and/or 15 minutes of screen time. Gotta live with that.

And hey, we are living in a big universe and a lot can happen. Tomorrow or in half an hour we might be visited by genuine extra terrestrials or receive some message from space. That's the nice thing about existence; you never know what might happen next. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

The weakest link, imho, are always the flimsy explanations as to why "the government" hushes it all up. I mean with Science Fiction being a popular genre since decades now, why would the idea of aliens cause mass panic? People would be exited about a reveal like that! And IF "the aliens" would be these super-powerful, malevolent creatures...then why all the cloak and mirror tactics? Why not just round us up and shove us in some human farms or whatever? It just doesn't make sense.

IDK government, specifically defense people live for the secret squirrel ****. I wouldnt look for much logic in it beyond nationalism. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

IDK government, specifically defense people live for the secret squirrel ****. I wouldnt look for much logic in it beyond nationalism. 

Oh I'm sure the various governments a hiding a lot of things from their populations, but I'm willing to bet that those things are neither as interesting nor as nice as "there's a huge alien civilization with bases on Jupiter OMGZ!"

• Like 1

If the government can't cover up a ******* (William Clinton, esq), or a Caman's bank account (Malcolm "Teflon" Turnbull) it sure as hell cant cover up Aliens.

• Like 4

It's not a hoax, although quite a few of the individual claims are..  It's just an inevitable cultural phenomena.  Came a time, not all that long ago, that we began to understand that there other planets out there, and that they might possibly harbor life - you could argue about when it all started, but I'd suggest it really took off in the 40's to 60's, what with alien invasion movies, etc.

And oh what a coincidence, that's just when we began to put lots more and more things into the air, so *of course* there would be lots of UFO sightings (mostly by people who don't actually look up much...).

Nowadays we have unprecedented numbers of good (and getting better) cameras out there, and yet .. if anything the number of 'decent' sightings are declining rapidly - in simple terms we can now pretty easily identify what in the past we couldn't.

And I think (hope) we've grown up a little.  Now, we have answers to the fallacious arguments, namely:

- unidentified things in the sky are 'alien'? - NO they are simply unidentified

- there is a high likelihood of alien life out there, so that means that they must be visiting us? - NO, it looks like life is as rare as a truthful politician, and any aliens are probably so far away they don't even see our Sun as a star, let alone would they consider trying to get here or signal us...

Fun while it lasted, but .. OVER.

• Like 8

I'm convinced we are witnessing modern mythology under construction.

Evidence doesn't exist yet belief persists. The artists and poets embrace the mataphorical significance of the observer.

We feel empathy for the outsider, the narative that puts our world in perspective.

This POV is increasingly relevant as the world has become smaller.

• Like 2

So are you guys saying that people like Bob Lazar, Travis Walton, Barney and Betty Hills, the Belgian police offices, the kids at the  Harare school and all those guys who gave interviews at the national press club are nothing more than pathetic liars? They repeat over and over their stories again to get a couple of thousands of dollars? I simply find it hard to believe that people like that exist.

• Like 1

Well, Bob Lazar has been pretty much debunked as being a bit of a con artist, but many people (and not just those who are well known) have and continue to see unknown objects in the sky. 

1 minute ago, Lilly said:

Well, Bob Lazar has been pretty much debunked as being a bit of a con artist, but many people (and not just those who are well known) have and continue to see unknown objects in the sky. 

Lilly, I am not just talking about seeing unknown objects in the sky, I am talking about a lot of interviews from people that tell their stories in great detail. I can't believe that all these fairly decent looking human beings can be such professional liars. I can't even lie about eating the last piece of a cake, which was supposed to have been my girlfriend's, but here we are with so many of them just lying for so many years at all these meetings and conferences. Is that what is happening? 

Are you asking me why some people would lie about UFOs being of alien origin? There could be various reasons ranging from simply wanting attention to having had an odd experience then their minds filling in the details with something they honestly believe in. Frankly, we just don't always know if a person is lying or why they would even choose to lie. Human nature/psychology is a mystery in and of itself.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, reportaufo said:

Lilly, I am not just talking about seeing unknown objects in the sky, I am talking about a lot of interviews from people that tell their stories in great detail. I can't believe that all these fairly decent looking human beings can be such professional liars. I can't even lie about eating the last piece of a cake, which was supposed to have been my girlfriend's, but here we are with so many of them just lying for so many years at all these meetings and conferences. Is that what is happening? 

I've made zeros of dollars from my sightings.

6 hours ago, reportaufo said:

Why do you portray this as lying?  Is that to dramatise human frailty and make us skeptics appear to be horrible, insulting people?  People make mistakes, they misremember, they exaggerate ... and with retelling, they will believe their own stories.  These people are most likely not lying.

Anyway, we've seen this sort of handwaving before - rather than list a whole pile of 'examples' - be brave and nominate what you think is the very best example, and let's look at it (even though it has probably been done to death here at this forum already...).

And can you tell us, using the same approach you have .. but in reverse ...  If there really have been so many genuine alien craft visiting us, how is it that there isn't a single shred of actual evidence, or decent footage?   You do realise that over the past twenty years or so, our surveillance of the skies has increased to unprecedented levels... and yet most of your examples date back prior to that.

Within that explanation, please take into account the locations and nature of the sightings - even the amazing Men In Black would have a hard time chasing them all down and cleaning up all the evidence, especially those in other countries..

There are tons of new sightings that happen all the time. You could spend a whole day on youtube watching ones from just the last couple years. The problem isn't in the amount of sightings, it's that unfortunately even amateur film just has to many ways to fake them, and do it well, so they dont have as much credibility as they once did. 

Im sure there have been probably hundreds of ligit filmed sightings that people just pass over and say it's faked. 

Having been someone who's seen a UFO, I never just dismiss a lot of those videos, but  I can in no way say they are real either. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

There are tons of new sightings that happen all the time. You could spend a whole day on youtube watching ones from just the last couple years. The problem isn't in the amount of sightings, it's that unfortunately even amateur film just has to many ways to fake them, and do it well, so they dont have as much credibility as they once did. 

Im sure there have been probably hundreds of ligit filmed sightings that people just pass over and say it's faked. 

Having been someone who's seen a UFO, I never just dismiss a lot of those videos, but  I can in no way say they are real either. 

Fair enough, but... the increase in capability extends not just to Jill/Joe Average, but also to an increasing number of astronomy enthusiasts (with wide field scopes and all-night/all-sky cameras, amongst other stuff).  *These* are most likely the folks who will spot the first genuine visiting aliens/probe.  Don't underestimate the numbers of these astroheads..  I'm not really enthusiastic enough to be called one, but near me, there are at least 5 within a 15km radius - I know that because I have visited the nearest astronomy club, and invite others to do the same.

These folks have the credibility and the equipment to be capturing what is up there.  And yet if you browse any astronomy forum, do you see many (any) UFO reports?  Hardly ever, and when you do, usually within a few minutes the object will be identified, be it plane, satellite, discarded rocket booster re-entry, meteor/meteorite, nearby RC club.. :D

There just *isn't* any compelling recent UFO footage, and yet I'd say we are probably examining the skies at least ten times better and at least at ten times the resolution that we were in the 'golden age' of sightings, when aliens/flying saucers hysteria was at its peak.  And nowadays, the old copout that it was "just a tiny blob because it was too far away" is getting less and less believable - with so many folks with mobile phones, what is far from one person will be right above another.. and that another didn't film it because they could easily see what it was..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Why do you portray this as lying?  Is that to dramatise human frailty and make us skeptics appear to be horrible, insulting people?  People make mistakes, they misremember, they exaggerate ... and with retelling, they will believe their own stories.  These people are most likely not lying.

First of all, dramatization is the enemy of truth, second of all, I don't care about being labeled as horrible or if I am unintentionally insulting people. The bottom line is, the people I have mentioned are either lying or they are not. There is no in between. How can you hide behind dramatization or exaggeration on such elements of the story where Betty Hill asks the alien where they are from and receiving an answer? How can Jim Peniston exaggerate when he drew symbols supposedly from the UFO on the ground, or when Gordon Cooper is telling a story of a UFO landing in front of them on the dry bed lake and being filmed? The question remains: are they just lying?

Edited by reportaufo

On 6/25/2017 at 7:20 AM, reportaufo said:

Hey guys, 

It's not just with UFO's. The website cryptomundo used to be a good site about crypids. Witness accounts, legit scientific discussion and analysis, etc, but now it's just a page that advertises for whatever stupid bigfoot show is on tv next. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, reportaufo said:

First of all, dramatization is the enemy of truth, second of all, I don't care about being labeled as horrible or if I am unintentionally insulting people. The bottom line is, the people I have mentioned are either lying or they are not. There is no in between. How can you hide behind dramatization or exaggeration on such elements of the story where Betty Hill asks the alien where they are from and receiving an answer? How can Jim Peniston exaggerate when he drew symbols supposedly from the UFO on the ground, or when Gordon Cooper is telling a story of a UFO landing in front of them on the dry bed lake and being filmed? The question remains: are they just lying?

Please clarify your understanding of the term UFO.  I see those all the time, lights in the sky that I can't (be bothered to) identify.  But it sounds like you are referring to alien spacecraft in your claims - correct me if I'm wrong.

'Lying', according to your definition, would include misrepresenting events.. And if, by 'UFO' you mean an 'alien craft', then you are misrepresenting events like Gordon Cooper's 'sighting', which was a good deal more complicated, and not as close as you imply (see link below).  The photos that you allege vanished, can in fact be found - they went to project Blue Book, and were even published in an old UFO book.  The thing (which was about a mile away and was only seen through a camera lens) was very likely a wetaher balloon..

But if you really want to include misidentifications and exaggerations as lying, then yes they all most likely are.  They are just cool stories, bro... and meaningless without decent evidence

You can see a fuller discussion of Gordon Cooper's claims - properly investigated - here:

http://www.jamesoberg.com/puzzle_gordo_cooper_ufo_stories.html

and more details here:

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~psmith/cooper.html

On 6/26/2017 at 7:59 AM, reportaufo said:

Welcome friend.  IMO, there are a few cons trying to make a buck and a large proportion of honest people who experienced something that they could not totally comprehend.  The closest phenomena in our  cultural era is a ufo.  I don't know what they might have seen, but I don't think they are all attention seeking fakes.  

Here is my campfire theory about sightings.  We are sitting around in the dark with nothing but a small fire.  We tell stories of ghosts or monsters or aliens just outside the firelight.  When a twig breaks or we see the fire reflected in eyes out in the dark, we are sure it is a monster.  When there is not much light we translate everything we hear smell and see into monsters.  Many of our friends are also seeing monsters.  

We build up the fire and light a few torches and expand our knowledge of the environment and the night.  We begin to recognize owls, raccoons, mice, and other things that we don't give a second thought to  in the daytime.  We get a little more sophisticated and realize that there are a lot of commonplace things in the woods as well as those possibly lurking monsters.  People don't think they see monsters nearly so often. That doesn't mean there are not things out there somewhere that we can't identify.

I think it is the same with UFO's.  We have gotten a little more sophisticated in our knowledge of space and our environs. We have a little more grasp of how big the universe is and how insignificant a part we are.  We no longer believe the Moon, Mars, Venus, or the other planets are likely to support intelligent life.  Our understanding of the universe and our neighborhood have eliminated a lot of the false positives.  That is not to say there are not beings out there  a lot more complex than bacteria.  

This is a really great time for the search to produce results.  Can you even keep track of all the exoplanets we have verified?  A number of those are earth-like.   Our technology is still evolving quickly, we are improving our observational limits.  We have a better idea of what spectroscopic signatures on an exoplanet might indicate life. Don't give up hope. yet.

Also, I suggest that aliens might not fall into our limited picture of what they are supposed to be like.  Maybe they travel as a data stream between a network of galactic computers.  Think of the possibility, it would be light speed travel, you could cross the galaxy in zero subjective time if the receiving stations get maintained for 100,000 years or so.  It could be they are passing by all the time and we are not looking for the right phenomena.

Welcome and keep us posted.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Please clarify your understanding of the term UFO.  I see those all the time, lights in the sky that I can't (be bothered to) identify.  But it sounds like you are referring to alien spacecraft in your claims - correct me if I'm wrong.

'Lying', according to your definition, would include misrepresenting events.. And if, by 'UFO' you mean an 'alien craft', then you are misrepresenting events like Gordon Cooper's 'sighting', which was a good deal more complicated, and not as close as you imply (see link below).  The photos that you allege vanished, can in fact be found - they went to project Blue Book, and were even published in an old UFO book.  The thing (which was about a mile away and was only seen through a camera lens) was very likely a wetaher balloon..

But if you really want to include misidentifications and exaggerations as lying, then yes they all most likely are.  They are just cool stories, bro... and meaningless without decent evidence

You can see a fuller discussion of Gordon Cooper's claims - properly investigated - here:

http://www.jamesoberg.com/puzzle_gordo_cooper_ufo_stories.html

and more details here:

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~psmith/cooper.html

Yes, UFO = alien craft, lying = not telling the truth. You either don't know enough about the subject of UFOs and haven't seen all the witness testimony, or you are trying to avoid the elephant in the room. 

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_fKcTk5xDY <<<< Gordon Cooper UFO landing

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2m_-6Wep7k   <<<< Peru UFO encounter by a military

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f3X1LDCaJE    <<<< Japan cargo ship encounter

I can post hundreds of other similar links, but I think you get the point. You can't hide behind exaggeration here. These people are either lying or telling the truth. Again, there is NO in between. If they are lying, then they must get psychologically evaluated as soon as possible so they don't think one day that people in the supermarket are aliens and start shooting everyone (j/k).

Are these people and other people with similar detailed stories just lying? 

Edited by reportaufo

oh boy.....grabs popcorn...gets comfortable......

• Like 5

On 6/25/2017 at 7:20 AM, reportaufo said:

Hey guys, 

I have no U.F.O. experiences but have one with aliens.