Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepy Phone Calls

Columbo

26 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

I got calls for a while that sounded like someone making clicking noises, so I just hung up.

It was Click-Man.

• Like 3

On 15/07/2017 at 6:39 AM, Boozemonkey said:

I recently had an unexplained phone call offering assistance and legal representation for an accident that I'd had at work.  The thing is, I hadn't had an accident.... Is this some kind of telepathy, warning me of things to come????

I had one of those, I told them it was great that they called, I’d had an accident and lost both me legs - the poor sod on the other end of the line said they only represented upper body injuries and hung up sharpish.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I had one of those, I told them it was great that they called, I’d had an accident and lost both me legs - the poor sod on the other end of the line said they only represented upper body injuries and hung up sharpish.

Wow, you found one with some sort of a conscience! 

That’s pretty funny though, I usually just hang up without confirming who I am. Maybe it’s time to spice it up a bit. 

Often I get silent calls that turn out to be sales companies using machines to call so many numbers. Apart from that, which is so annoying anyway, creepy calls are not really something I have often. The last weird call was a couple of years ago, when a woman phoned me asking for someone I don't know. I just said she had the wrong number. Minutes later she phoned back again, and I told her she called me earlier. She said that she definately had the right number because it was in her address book and she's used it for years to call a friend. I said no this is my phone and no one else had it. Btw it's landline and not mobile and some area codes have altered in the past fw years. What she said was weird, and she never phoned back. I couldn't trace who she was because it was a number private and hidden.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2017 at 5:43 PM, Scholar4Truth said:

I have had a few creepy phone calls where when I picked up to answer there was heavy breathing on the other end and when I tried saying hello they would not say anything, in return. 

Me too! I looked up the number and apparently its not just me that has had it! https://scam-numbers.co.uk/Number/08000061990/ Was this the same number yours was from?!

The last silent call I got I sat there and just listened it was a battle of wits but they hung up first

• Like 2

On 3/23/2018 at 1:34 PM, Dark Howl said:

Often I get silent calls that turn out to be sales companies using machines to call so many numbers. Apart from that, which is so annoying anyway, creepy calls are not really something I have often. The last weird call was a couple of years ago, when a woman phoned me asking for someone I don't know. I just said she had the wrong number. Minutes later she phoned back again, and I told her she called me earlier. She said that she definately had the right number because it was in her address book and she's used it for years to call a friend. I said no this is my phone and no one else had it. Btw it's landline and not mobile and some area codes have altered in the past fw years. What she said was weird, and she never phoned back. I couldn't trace who she was because it was a number private and hidden.

I had that same kind of call in the 80's.  I had had the phone number for 3 years but the person insisted they had talked to someone else at my number a month ago.

Another time I answered the phone in the middle of the night, it was my daughter's number but all I got was heavy breathing, and at first it seemed weird, then I realized the baby was playing with her phone.  I just called his name, then he started jabbering. 

In the 80's before cell phones I moved out of state and on the weekends my brother or another relative would call me and say why are you never home?  I thought I was missing calls so I got an answering machine.  I had that machine 6 months and never had a message.  Finally one evening I came home from work and had a message.  It was a woman I didn't know.  The Message was "Michael, this is Sarah.  I just got to town and I need to talk to you before the wedding.  You can call me at ..."  The number she gave was my number?!!  So, I guess Michael never called her.  I don't know if it was a prank or not.  She sounded really upset and I felt bad that I couldn't call her and tell her she had the wrong number.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:43 AM, SammyBHall said:

Me too! I looked up the number and apparently its not just me that has had it! https://scam-numbers.co.uk/Number/08000061990/ Was this the same number yours was from?!

Not that specific number, but I have had similar ones just like it.

• 4 months later...

To preface this story, my Aunt allowed me to watch Dawn of the Dead at a very young age, and I became fascinated with zombie movies while growing up.

When I was about 11/12, I was home one night and received a random home phone call very late at night. It was probably like 2am so I answered it right away as to not wake my parents up. It was my sister (she had left earlier that day for summer camp) on the other end balling her eyes out, sobbering about how she was stuck in the bathroom. I don’t remember now exactly what she said, maybe something about how she looked weird, or maybe just how she was stuck, but I just remember the feeling I got as I was running to wake my parents up. I knew it. Zombies were attacking. :whistle: I got so damn scared. Turned out she was just having a bad allergic reaction to some new medicine, but I’ll never forget that feeling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thegr1fter said:

To preface this story, my Aunt allowed me to watch Dawn of the Dead at a very young age, and I became fascinated with zombie movies while growing up.

When I was about 11/12, I was home one night and received a random home phone call very late at night. It was probably like 2am so I answered it right away as to not wake my parents up. It was my sister (she had left earlier that day for summer camp) on the other end balling her eyes out, sobbering about how she was stuck in the bathroom. I don’t remember now exactly what she said, maybe something about how she looked weird, or maybe just how she was stuck, but I just remember the feeling I got as I was running to wake my parents up. I knew it. Zombies were attacking. :whistle: I got so damn scared. Turned out she was just having a bad allergic reaction to some new medicine, but I’ll never forget that feeling.

Welcome to the forum!  That was a good story.  Especially  now that we are actually experiencing a zombie armegeddon.

Edited by Desertrat56

• 1 month later...

What I don't understand is to get a call with the caller's name or business name, plus the number on my caller ID, and when I dial that number a recording comes on that says that number is not a working number and to check the number again.  Then how did whoever call from that number?

1 minute ago, Dustyrose33 said:

What I don't understand is to get a call with the caller's name or business name, plus the number on my caller ID, and when I dial that number a recording comes on that says that number is not a working number and to check the number again.  Then how did whoever call from that number?

A lot of telemarketers, especially from outside the U.S., use bogus phone numbers.  There is an app that will just pull random phone numbers from what ever area code you want so that when they call you, you are more likely to pick up because the call is from your area code.  Sometimes those numbers are working numbers and if you call them back the person answering will have no clue their number was being used for robocalls.  I know this because my number has been used and I used to call back to see who called me.  I no longer do that.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 12:44 PM, Dustyrose33 said:

Hi Dustyrose

Google scams about anything right now I get calls that my SIN has been used fraudulently and that there is a warrant issued for me and to respond by hitting 2 on the keypad. The govt doesn't phone people they will send a letter or a squad car.:tu:

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8