Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

So we had a crazy night at preachermans house

preacherman76

Did your son experience anything to make him call out?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Did your son experience anything to make him call out?

He said he had a nightmare. This morning he doesn't remember what it was about.

Edited by preacherman76

What kind of lock(s) do you have on your front door? My first thought was that someone might have been able to fiddle with it, open the door, and then slam it shut once seeing lights on (or for some other reason). Assuming the front door was indeed opened and slammed shut, the vibratory force could have easily been strong enough to flip what is most probably a defective spring (or other) mechanism in your light switch. Light switches flipping by themselves is not unusual. There's also the possibility that an intruder might have done it. As for the dogs, they may have sensed a person(s) around your home, hence their reaction.

Given the fact that there are two fugitives on the loose, why did you not call the police? They would have searched the area (and, most important, your home to make double sure that you and your family were safe). They could have also fingerprinted your door and run the results through their database to see if those two were indeed in the area.

In situations like this (especially knowing two fugitives might be in your area), the decisions you make could mean the difference between life and death. I am glad that nothing happened to you or your family, but I would strongly suggest that you think long and hard about the worse case scenarios and the possibility that last night could have unfolded very differently.

Call the police and tell them everything.

• Like 4

I was just talking to her about it, and I have to make a correction. The door that I had locked, and checked to make sure it was still locked before I went to bed, was actually unlocked when my wife was inspecting what had happened after she heard it slammed close.

So thats two physical unexplained  things that happened. The first being the light switch turning off on its own. 

• Like 3

Just now, preacherman76 said:

I was just talking to her about it, and I have to make a correction. The door that I had locked, and checked to make sure it was still locked before I went to bed, was actually unlocked when my wife was inspecting what had happened after she heard it slammed close.

So thats two physical unexplained  things that happened. The first being the light switch turning off on its own. 

May I ask what time this was? 

Just curious as I had my own unexplained happening last night, well 0430 Eastern time, and am always curious about synchronicity  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

What kind of lock(s) do you have on your front door? My first thought was that someone might have been able to fiddle with it, open the door, and then slam it shut once seeing lights on (or for some other reason). Assuming the front door was indeed opened and slammed shut, the vibratory force could have easily been strong enough to flip what is most probably a defective spring (or other) mechanism in your light switch. Light switches flipping by themselves is not unusual. There's also the possibility that an intruder might have done it. As for the dogs, they may have sensed a person(s) around your home, hence their reaction.

Given the fact that there are two fugitives on the loose, why did you not call the police? They would have searched the area (and, most important, your home to make double sure that you and your family were safe). They could have also fingerprinted your door and run the results through their database to see if those two were indeed in the area.

In situations like this (especially knowing two fugitives might be in your area), the decisions you make could mean the difference between life and death. I am glad that nothing happened to you or your family, but I would strongly suggest that you think long and hard about the worse case scenarios and the possibility that last night could have unfolded very differently.

Call the police and tell them everything.

I considered everything you said here after she woke me up. Thing is my dogs would have gone crazy if someone came in the house. They were already highly alerted. 

Also there is no way the light switch could flip down from the door slamming shut. The switch is in the next room over from the door. It's just to far away. I literally just verified that trying to make it happen again.  

Good questions an observations though. I considered all this myself. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

May I ask what time this was? 

Just curious as I had my own unexplained happening last night, well 0430 Eastern time, and am always curious about synchronicity  

I'm not exactly sure. I'm guessing It must have been somewhere between 130 and 2 am. 

What happened to you?

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure. I'm guessing It must have been somewhere between 130 and 2 am. 

What happened to you?

I woke up to a tapping on my bed. I honestly thought I had overslept and it was someone knocking on the door until I realized that wouldnt make my bed shake.  After fully waking up I laid there for 10 full minutes while a hard knocking continuously shook the bed. I was fully awake and increasingly freaked out , it continued until I got out of bed. 

The place im at now has been inhabited by humans for some 4k years so I imagine there is history and energy from said history everywhere. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I woke up to a tapping on my bed. I honestly thought I had overslept and it was someone knocking on the door until I realized that wouldnt make my bed shake.  After fully waking up I laid there for 10 full minutes while a hard knocking continuously shook the bed. I was fully awake and increasingly freaked out , it continued until I got out of bed. 

The place im at now has been inhabited by humans for some 4k years so I imagine there is history and energy from said history everywhere. 

Wow. That's crazy. Sleep paralysis?

• Like 1

I considered everything you said here after she woke me up. Thing is my dogs would have gone crazy if someone came in the house. They were already highly alerted. 

Also there is no way the light switch could flip down from the door slamming shut. The switch is in the next room over from the door. It's just to far away. I literally just verified that trying to make it happen again.  

Good questions an observations though. I considered all this myself. 

Remove the switch and examine it. As for the door being unlocked, well there you have it. It may not have latched properly and a gust of wind could have easily pulled it shut. Or someone opened and closed it. Anyway, the fact of the matter is that there are numerous logical explanations. One of those explanations, however, is truly frightening and I don't mean the ghosts. I am genuinely concerned about the safety of your family and really do wish you would call the police.

• Like 1

Wow. That's crazy. Sleep paralysis?

No , well I dont think so,  ironically I had to wake up a coworker last night because he missed a page so when I heard the knocking I woke and sat right the hell up afraid that had happened to me LOL. 

This isnt the first thing thats happened in my current quarters but its the most direct thing thats happened. Ive heard footsteps more times than I can count but can always shrug them off as something else, heard the chairs in the kitchen move, which again I attributed to most likely being an external sound which pareidolia turned into the sound of chairs moving.  The only other thing which has happened that I couldnt immediately find a possible explanation for is I  had my can of chew dropped onto the counter while I was in the shower - a very distinctive sound and I live alone when Im at work. (I work remotely alot) 

Anyways I dont mean to hijack your thread I just find synchronicity in the paranormal to be a fascinating thing and wanted to see if there were any commonalities. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Your place has been inhabited by humans for 4,000 years? What do you live in? A cave? (jk) Aside from kmt_sesh's socks, we don't have much of anything that old here, especially in terms of residences. As for what happened to you last night, it definitely does sound like a hypnagogic hallucination. Don't know what to say about your various auditory hallucinations though, other than there are meds for that sort of thing. :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, Claire. said:

Your place has been inhabited by humans for 4,000 years? What do you live in? A cave? (jk) Aside from kmt_sesh's socks, we don't have much of anything that old here, especially in terms of residences. As for what happened to you last night, it definitely does sound like a hypnagogic hallucination. Don't know what to say about your various auditory hallucinations though, other than there are meds for that sort of thing. :lol:

The island im currently on has been inhabited for 4k years, not the house :P  

I work remotely , as in not in the US , often . 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The island im currently on has been inhabited for 4k years, not the house :P  

Just in time Farmer77, darn....i was just about to hit on that. lol

• Like 2

Idk that's weird.

Like I want to say human intruder because idk why a ghost would need to go in and out the door but at the same time idk what dog dosent bark ar an intruder. Lol

But like clarie said maybe your wife didn't fully close the door and strong wind did the rest ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Idk that's weird.

Like I want to say human intruder because idk why a ghost would need to go in and out the door but at the same time idk what dog dosent bark ar an intruder. Lol

But like clarie said maybe your wife didn't fully close the door and strong wind did the rest ?

Especially my dogs. I have two Rotties. They do not play around when it comes to visitors.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Especially my dogs. I have two Rotties. They do not play around when it comes to visitors.

Visitors are one thing, intruders another. I don't know much about dogs, but my guess is that they would be sensitive to 'intent'. They may have sensed something about these visitors that was different from any of the others. That could explain the difference in their response. Dogs are not always the fearless little creatures we would like them to be.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

See I'm mixed feelings on this because on one hand that would have to be strong wind and a strong thump to turn a light switch but at the same time idk why  a ghost would have to use a door and would bother turning a random light off lol

I doubt human intruder though because if I broke into a house I wouldn't slam the door when I left

And I doubt ghost by default I have trouble be living in ghost.

So I just say a freak event  

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

See I'm mixed feelings on this because on one hand that would have to be strong wind and a strong thump to turn a light switch but at the same time idk why  a ghost would have to use a door and would bother turning a random light off lol

Not necessarily. Air currents don't have to be that strong to slam a door shut. I'm by no means an expert, but I suspect that someone with some knowledge would examine the wind conditions, look for drafts and the like, check out the type of door and its latch, etc., and come up with an answer one way or the other. As for the light switch, that would depend on how loose the spring is. In some cases all it would take is something less than a tap for the switch to come down. And as for an intruder slamming a door shut, they might have done so if they saw the dogs and instinctively (and quickly) slammed the door shut and bolted.

Anyway, there are a number of different variables that could account for the behavior of the switch, door and dogs, and no one other than an expert could say for certain what could have caused what. But the logical explanation is there. It's just a matter of finding it.

Edited by Claire.
Typographical correction.

Does your door have a deadbolt lock, preacher? Those are impossible to be mistaken for being locked or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

That's a new build round here, 33,000 years is our local record, but that's just for anatomically modern humans. 

Seriously though I'm really intrigued about this story, I appreciate you not wanting to hijack this current, and also extremely interesting thread, maybe you should start a new one? 

6 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I'm not even sure how to begin this. I guess I'll start by saying it was my wife and son who had this experience last night. Believe me when I say my wife is not about anything paranormal. Like really not about it. She has lovingly rolled her eyes at me more then once when I have talked about certain things in the past. When it comes to the paranormal she basically just tolerates me.

Fascinating thread. 

Firstly, I'm getting this right that it isn't unusual for your son to call out in the night? 

Secondly about the dogs, dogs are weird. Obviously each one is an individual and no one knows your dogs like you do but I do have experience with this sort of unexpected behaviour with my own. She was a lovely, gentle animal (except to me who she mauled on a daily basis) but she was also extremely aggressive to anything she perceived as a threat to her or us. No snarling, no barking, just a full pelt run at whatever she was after, but, one night I'd taken her to my parents house for the night when  hand came through the letter box, she just looked at it, looked at me and went back to sleep. The last thing I'd have expected her to do. 

My point being dogs are weird. 

I'm a bit confused as to this 

they hear what sounds like the outside door opening, then slamming shut.

She gets up to find the door bolt locked

And

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

The door that I had locked, and checked to make sure it was still locked before I went to bed, was actually unlocked when my wife was inspecting what had happened after she heard it slammed close.

So, this is a different door that your wife let the dogs out through? Like front door and back door? And you're certain that you locked this door before bed? If so, then it sounds as though someone might well have been in your house, in which case do what Claire suggests and call the police. 

Someone/thing had flipped the switch that she had to turn back on

What sort of switch is it? Can you put up a photo? 

This is strange, and a little worrying to be honest, and not from a paranormal perspective. 

• Like 1

Just to add, some light switches have a sort of tipping point where they're sort of hovering. They can be 'switched' enough for the lights to be on, but any sort of knock can flip them. I'm not putting this very well.

Also, any seismic or unusual weather in your area last night, power surges, traffic, that sort of thing? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Just to add, some light switches have a sort of tipping point where they're sort of hovering. They can be 'switched' enough for the lights to be on, but any sort of knock can flip them. I'm not putting this very well.

Also, any seismic or unusual weather in your area last night, power surges, traffic, that sort of thing? 

I've been asked that question before. I really tried hard to float the switch and it was either hard on or hard off.

There are still a lot of questions in my mind when it comes to some things.

• Like 2