Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Puppy survives swallowing 10-inch arrow

Still Waters

An eight-week-old puppy is lucky to be alive after swallowing a 10-inch arrow.

Lola, a sheepdog cross, required emergency surgery after the toy arrow became wedged in her stomach.

Her owner, Maria Caulfied from Newport, said it was an "absolute miracle" she survived and "shows that she's meant to be" with the family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40382967

• Like 5

Thankfully the family noticed their puppy's symptoms, and saved her life by acting quickly. Maybe they should change her name to Arrow.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Thankfully the family noticed their puppy's symptoms, and saved her life by acting quickly. Maybe they should change her name to Arrow.

Or Dumbo. ;)

• Like 3

Poor wee pup. That arrow pretty much ran the length of its body. Why was it playing with it to begin with? That 'toy' is not safe for pets (or children) and the owners should not have been so irresponsible, especially with such a young dog.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Claire. said:

That name would be more appropriate to its owners.

Do you really have to expect a puppy would swallow that? 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

Do you really have to expect a puppy would swallow that? 

Anything and everything could happen. Swallowing, choking, poking an eye out... That arrow is not safe.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Anything and everything could happen. Swallowing, choking, poking an eye out... That arrow is not safe.

Maybe he found it somewhere, who knows? It could have been a pen, for all I know. I still have no idea why a dog, or a little one, would swallow it. I'm glad little Dumbo is fine, though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FLOMBIE said:

Maybe he found it somewhere, who knows? It could have been a pen, for all I know. I still have no idea why a dog, or a little one, would swallow it. I'm glad little Dumbo is fine, though. 

I don't know how they manage it either, but dogs are notorious for swallowing odd things — knives, rubber ducks and cell phones, to name a few. Lola by the way, is not the first dog to have swallowed a toy arrow. It happens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

I don't know how they manage it either, but dogs are notorious for swallowing odd things — knives, rubber ducks and cell phones, to name a few. Lola by the way, is not the first dog to have swallowed a toy arrow. It happens.

Those cute little Dumbos. :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Oh alright, you win. They are indeed exactly that.

And of course you are right that, since they are notorious for swallowing things, owners have to watch out for that. But those arrows, especially if kids are in the house, could be lying around just about anywhere in the house. The always get lost. I give it the benefit of the doubt, and say it was an accident. 

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 2

Here's to a quick recovery! :)

...but when I hear the word arrow I picture a point on the end of a stick. I would call this a toy dart with a suction cup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

And of course you are right that, since they are notorious for swallowing things, owners have to watch out for that. But those arrows, especially if kids are in the house, could be lying around just about anywhere in the house. The always get lost. I give it the benefit of the doubt, and say it was an accident. 

I don't for a moment believe that it was anything other than an accident. My point was that owners should make an effort to ensure that things like that are not left lying around.

• Like 1

Just now, Claire. said:

I don't for a moment believe that it was anything other than an accident. My point was that owners should make an effort to ensure that things like that are not left lying around.

Agreed. 

• Like 1

That's why I always adopt full-grown, abandoned or abused, large dogs past the chewy stage. I saw enough destruction from puppies to my mother's house growing up. If I ever decide to get a puppy it would be crate trained. I doubt I ever will though. I feel sorry for dogs who were brought home as puppies, when the stupid people didn't realize how big they were going to get. Not to mention, having no clue how to train them.

• Like 2

My friend had a doberman who would eat and swallow all kinds of things that were not good for him, he had to take him to the vet more than once when he was a puppy.   He ate a spark plug, drank some motor oil, chewed up and ate part of a screwdriver, and a light bulb, just to name a few.   My friend worked on cars for a living and finally learned to put everything away when he was done.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tcgram said:

My friend had a doberman who would eat and swallow all kinds of things that were not good for him, he had to take him to the vet more than once when he was a puppy.   He ate a spark plug, drank some motor oil, chewed up and ate part of a screwdriver, and a light bulb, just to name a few.   My friend worked on cars for a living and finally learned to put everything away when he was done.  

For us, that would mean major renovations to the house. :lol:

It's easier and cheaper to train them. I only left the dogs in the house while we were gone during a storm when they were scared.

• Like 1