Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sausage roll row: US 'invents' new snack

Still Waters

There has been a British outcry on social media after a US chain claimed to have invented a new summer snack that looks suspiciously like a sausage roll.

Supermarket Trader Joe's has called it the "Puff Dog".

Los Angeles-based lifestyle website Hello Giggles said it was "genius".

Although other European countries also have a centuries-old fondness for meat wrapped in pastry, the UK has made the sausage roll its own.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40392410

• Like 4

Its a "pig in a blanket", been eating those my whole life, why would someone claim to have "invented" that?

Oh right , free advertisement by all the folks saying "ive been eating those my whole life, why would someone claim they invented it"? :lol:

• Like 6

Lol. Pork / beef whatever, we have them all over here.

Come on America, not like you to be behind the times.

what you going to invent next...a  chocolate bar?

• Like 5

Another deplorable case of culinary appropriation ^_^

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Its a "pig in a blanket", been eating those my whole life, why would someone claim to have "invented" that?

Oh right , free advertisement by all the folks saying "ive been eating those my whole life, why would someone claim they invented it"? :lol:

I thought the same thing Farmer... It's a pig in a blanket. Trader Joe's uses hot dogs in their rolls. They are beef franks, not pork or combo stuff. And they are uncured, which basically means made without nitrates rather than referring to a curing process. But they are still just franks wrapped in pastry.

I would argue that a real sausage roll is something different, because it uses actual sausages or sausage meat. Different beast, and the much more edible option IMO.

• Like 4

My mom always made pigs in a blanket lol

• Like 3

My family has made 'pigs in a blanket' as far back as I can remember (and I'm old). This is not a new concept, at all.

• Like 4

So much wrongness. Silly Americans, changing everything about. The 'new invention' is a sausage roll, which is sausage or sausage meat wrapped in pastry. Pigs blankets are sausages wrapped in bacon.  

You're welcome.

P.S. You guys also change the spelling of words for some reason. I imagine this is a snowball effect of one American intellectual misspelling a given word that then just gets out of control and adopted. This makes sense in my head.

P.P.S. Football, not soccer. And it's toasties, not grilled cheese (which is actually roasted cheese).

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

S. You guys also change the spelling of words for some reason. I imagine this is a snowball effect of one American intellectual misspelling a given word that then just gets out of control and adopted. This makes sense in my head.

It was actually much more intentional than that. Noah Webster went out of his way to give a big middle finger to ya'll. NOAH WEBSTER AND MOVING AWAY FROM BRITISH ENGLISH

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

It was actually much more intentional than that. Noah Webster went out of his way to give a big middle finger to ya'll. NOAH WEBSTER AND MOVING AWAY FROM BRITISH ENGLISH

Yeah, I know that's what they say now . . . :D

• Like 3

Sausages wrapped in bacon = pigs in bacon.

Beef sausage rolls is not new, we have it all: So in case our American friends try to "invent" something new - check out our buffet menu:

Classic beef sausage rolls

Wellington sausage rolls

beef and horseradish sausage rolls

spicy beef sausage rolls

Scottish sausage roll

spicy beef and tomato sausage roll

minced beef sausage roll

Glass of fizzy water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Sausages wrapped in bacon = pigs in bacon.

Beef sausage rolls is not new, we have it all: So in case our American friends try to "invent" something new - check out our buffet menu:

Classic beef sausage rolls

Wellington sausage rolls

beef and horseradish sausage rolls

spicy beef sausage rolls

Scottish sausage roll

spicy beef and tomato sausage roll

minced beef sausage roll

Glass of fizzy water.

See now.. all those I consider real sausage rolls. Though around here, beef is a bit more dear than pork, chicken, and turkey, so I tend to those sausages or blend sausages. And something different than a hot dog wrapped in crescent roll dough. I'm not trying to slam pigs in blankets by putting it that way, but really, that's all Trader Joe's Puff Dog is.

I think the same way about corndogs. A corndog is a hotdog in cornbread batter. Folks dip brats, kielbasa and smoked sausages, breakfast sausages, ect. into corn batter and call it a corndog, and just nope. Or dip dogs into other batters that are corny but not cornbread or wrap dogs in masa dough to fry them and call them corndog, just nope. Not that some of them aren't good, they just aren't corndogs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rashore said:

See now.. all those I consider real sausage rolls. Though around here, beef is a bit more dear than pork, chicken, and turkey, so I tend to those sausages or blend sausages. And something different than a hot dog wrapped in crescent roll dough. I'm not trying to slam pigs in blankets by putting it that way, but really, that's all Trader Joe's Puff Dog is.

I think the same way about corndogs. A corndog is a hotdog in cornbread batter. Folks dip brats, kielbasa and smoked sausages, breakfast sausages, ect. into corn batter and call it a corndog, and just nope. Or dip dogs into other batters that are corny but not cornbread or wrap dogs in masa dough to fry them and call them corndog, just nope. Not that some of them aren't good, they just aren't corndogs.

I had to  google corndog...i never realized there were so many variations on what you can do with a sausage. I see the same thing happened with the corndog - different people claiming to have invented it,  but this one seems to stem from the Germans.

we also got "toad in the hole" here, wonder what  our American buddies can invent out of that.

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I had to  google corndog...i never realized there were so many variations on what you can do with a sausage. I see the same thing happened with the corndog - different people claiming to have invented it,  but this one seems to stem from the Germans.

we also got "toad in the hole" here, wonder what  our American buddies can invent out of that.

Well toad in the hole I had to look up... and um yeah, yum. I assume little fatty case sausages that broil up crispy skin are best for that? I do a lot of frittatas and skillets, but I haven't done a good bread pudding kind of tasty in a while.

And lol, while we are wrapping and encasing meaty goodness... wrapping boiled eggs in sausage, vs ham, vs bitmeats, vs bacon.. then breading it and calling all the variations scotch eggs. I do have a particular fondness for the egg in chorizo rolled in potato shred version, but it isn't a scotch egg, lol.

• Like 1