Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do giraffes get struck by lightning

Claire.

Do Giraffes Get Struck by Lightning More Than Other Animals?

Two months ago, Reddit user infernograve woke from a vivid dream. As wakefulness crept back, the dream did not recede, rather, it stuck in his mind, piquing his curiosity and prompting a burning question. He subsequently logged into Reddit's popular AskScience subreddit to share it: "Do giraffes get struck by lightning more often than other animals?" The question is now the most popular ever asked on the forum.

Read more: Live Science

Edited by Claire.
Title tweak.
  • Like 5

If had a giraffe I make him a copper suit to wear in thunderstorms ...... boom problem solved

• Like 1

well its not a new question as such, here a story, with answers from 2010

Are giraffes more at risk from lightning?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11734228

• Like 1

It's not as simple as "tall things get hit by lightning". 

It's down to the "pointyness" of an object, and its earth linkage. And conductivity. 

A giraffe isn't particularly pointy, nor conductive, nor earthed. (it has hooves, which would be somewhat insulating).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

It's not as simple as "tall things get hit by lightning". 

It's down to the "pointyness" of an object, and its earth linkage. And conductivity. 

A giraffe isn't particularly pointy, nor conductive, nor earthed. (it has hooves, which would be somewhat insulating).

Pointy giraffes not something you hear every day 

never thought of this but they do have those horn things on the head and they are made of mostly water,  Maybe they hide under a tree :ph34r: don`t do that

Lightning strikes more on tall buildings in cities, so the same apply towards taller things in safari.

Edited by woopypooky

I don't get this difference in the spacing of the front and real legs. I would think it would be the potential difference between the head and the clouds. There are reports of animal kills especially cows in a group near a tree. Keep your head down Mr. Giraffe!

Does the mountain dwelling grouse get struck by lightning more often than the low plain dwelling giraffe?

Edited by Black Monk

6 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Does the mountain dwelling grouse get struck by lightning more often than the low plain dwelling giraffe?

Ptarmigan up on the top of Caingorms if so how about them little snow buntings if the situation on top of oneach of those cafes.......even more height

Grouse and Buntings are even LESS pointy than Giraffes. They are almost globular in comparison !

Most lightening strikes would go through plants, as these are usually VERY pointy. Trust me... I know whereof I speak. I've been trying to cut back Brambles on my sister's garden. I wish the darned things WOULD get hit by lightening !

Twice !

Edited by RoofGardener

On 2017-07-01 at 8:16 AM, woopypooky said:

Lightning strikes more on tall buildings in cities, so the same apply towards taller things in safari.

Good tip.......  Never take cover under a Giraffe in a storm.