Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA and related conspiracy theories

Susanc241

I have just spent an entertaining few hours (over the last few days - I know, I am old enough to know better) reading/watching videos and articles regarding, in the main, but not exclusively, the flat earth exponents. Time again I came across statements about 'cover-ups', being lied to, and so on.  Much of the vitriol was directed towards NASA and to a slightly lesser degree, governments.  Can anyone explain why there is this distrust of NASA?  Is it just a case of people who don't believe in the moon landings as a consequence don't believe anything else NASA says or does, or am I missing something here?

As to Flat Earth versus Globe Earth, can someone explain how telling us we live on a globe when we live on a disc (for instance) gives the 'powers that be', whether NASA or governments, any advantage over the masses?  What do they think their ultimate purpose is?  When it comes down to it, what we live on doesn't change if we believe flat earth or globe earth, we still experience the same as we always have.  What is the point of hiding 'the truth', if that is what they believe they are doing?  I just don't get it! 

Just so you all know I haven't been unduly influenced, I still believe we live on a globe Earth; that man did go to the moon; that the sun isn't being milked or getting smaller and brighter; that there is no such thing as Planet X (about to collide with Earth); nor do I believe any of the other strange and weird ideas I came across......please don't tell me I am deluded too! :blink:

• Like 1

If the earth is flat then the purpose of hiding that obviously would be to hide the fact that the earth i not a globe.

And if the earth is not a globe then there would be more land that humans could explore. 

And what we live on would not change as you say, but the boarders would expand if they allow humans beyond 60° south

I think distrust in NASA is largely engendered by a number of "whistle-blowers" who claim (invariably without evidence) that they have observed malpractise and downright tampering with photographic research to "cover-up" something. No-one can really explain why NASA would actually WANT to hide the findings of open-science research, but of course, they will not be forthcoming with any military funded research. Why would they? The customer hold the IP from funded research in this way and no corporation would make such data freely available without the major Stakeholders consent. Herein lays the fertile breeding ground for conspiracy theory.

In case you missed this one Susanc241 (Flat-Earth related): Flat Earth debunked

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wertikal said:

If the earth is flat then the purpose of hiding that obviously would be to hide the fact that the earth i not a globe.

And if the earth is not a globe then there would be more land that humans could explore. 

Apparently flat earthers think there is an ice wall or some crap.

• Like 2

Just now, Rlyeh said:

Apparently flat earthers think there is an ice wall or some crap.

Like on Game of Thrones? 

• Like 1

From my experience flat earthers are incredibly incompetent, you just have to watch one of their poor quality videos showing stars and planets out of focus to see you're dealing with someone who's greatest achievement is dressing themselves.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Like on Game of Thrones? 

Never watched it.

Apparently Antarctica is an ice wall or something that surrounds the flat earth. They love repeating the myth that Antarctica is off limits to everyone, even though it's a tourist destination.

• Like 2

Just now, Rlyeh said:

Never watched it.

Apparently Antarctica is an ice wall or something that surrounds the flat earth. They love repeating the myth that Antarctica is off limits to everyone, even though it's a tourist destination.

Yikes......I have to be completely hones I have some out their beliefs , so I dont bash flat earthers i figure let them have their thing but damn when a simple google search can dispel so much BS it becomes challenging not to. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, keithisco said:

In case you missed this one Susanc241 (Flat-Earth related): Flat Earth debunked

I enjoyed that article.  Practically handbags at dawn even that long ago!  Some people just won't accept what is right in front of their faces.  Good for a laugh, though.

ETA I don't think a flat earthier would change their minds even if they were shot up into outer space to see for themselves.  They would declare the portholes in the spaceship were screens showing videos, holograms, or some other skullduggery.  Hey ho!

Edited by Susanc241
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Yikes......I have to be completely hones I have some out their beliefs , so I dont bash flat earthers i figure let them have their thing but damn when a simple google search can dispel so much BS it becomes challenging not to. 

It's all part of the conspiracy.

Some claim it's to hide God, many flat earthers are religious and take the Bible literally with the earth being unmovable and the firmament is a glass dome over the earth.

What is that saying?  

Seems to sum it it up nicely.

ETA. There was supposed to be a pic between those first two sentences but it didn't arrive!  Saying I am talking about is,

'Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out the get you'.

Edited by Susanc241

Just now, Rlyeh said:

It's all part of the conspiracy.

Some claim it's to hide God, many flat earthers are religious and take the Bible literally with the earth being unmovable and the firmament is a glass dome over the earth.

Geeze i think its in the book of Isiah but the old testament actually talks about the earth being round. ... I had to leave religion because the constant facepalming was giving me tennis elbow 

• Like 2

It always bugs me how people seem to forget NASA is not the worlds ONLY space agency

And never forget when they thought they found Alien Microbes in a meteorite, Bill Clinton, the then President... went on TV and told the WORLD about it.  No coverups.....a worldwide speech

And flat Earth?  We photo'd the Earth from space and the moon...and long before that, sailors can see the curve of the horizon at sea

499ccea072070_n.jpg

• Like 4

Here it is Isiah 40:22 : 

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,

and its people are like grasshoppers.

He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,

and spreads them out like a tent to live in.  

CGI is the number one excuse used by flat earthers, some even go far enough to say NASA is putting CGI in our telescopes.

For goodness sake, people who believe (in this day and age) that the earth is still flat are simply moronic imbeciles as far as I am concerned. Their mentality simply defies logic.

images_94.jpg

:rolleyes:...

• Like 7

Just now, Why not said:

Ever drive across Kansas or Nebraska? Flat as a damn pancake. 

The rest is a globe.

Those places qualify as earth? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wertikal said:

I think that there is a lot less flat Earth believers than is advertised.   I think the large majority of them just do it to entertain themselves.   They like to argue.   Perhaps past debate team members.  

I have yet to find a valid argument to support it.   They will not respond to questions about weather patterns traveling across the globe.  

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php

• Like 1

If Earth was flat - gravity wouldnt work so well near the edges either

18 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

CGI is the number one excuse used by flat earthers, some even go far enough to say NASA is putting CGI in our telescopes.

Well that's just... well.... ****.... 

4 hours ago, seeder said:

If Earth was flat - gravity wouldnt work so well near the edges either

They don't believe in gravity either, not really a surprise.

• Like 1

This NeuroLogica blog brings up some very good points for why a flat Earth is simply not reasonable:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/flat-earth-rising/

• The topic was locked