Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anonymous: 'NASA to announce alien life'

3 minutes ago, Bau said:

Does the word moron go against forum rules or something?

Probably fit's somewhere in the behavior rules if directed towards someone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I believe you are referring to Jim Jones. He forced people to drink cyanide laced kool aid after he had his men gun down a member of the US house of representatives at the airport.

It was Jim Jones seeing the end of his career.

Thanks!

Just now, XenoFish said:

Probably fit's somewhere in the behavior rules if directed towards someone.

So is harassment, trolling, flamebaiting, abusive behaviour and thread derailment. Which I have just seen from more than two members here, that's for sure. If only I had known that earlier, then I wouldn't have resulted with calling them a moron or a numbnuts, because then I could have shown them this. Hindsight is b***h.

3 minutes ago, Bau said:

That's fair play. Where is the evidence for this then?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio_drama)

From wiki:

Some listeners heard only a portion of the broadcast, and in the tension and anxiety prior to World War II, mistook it for a genuine news broadcast.[25] Thousands of those people rushed to share the false reports with others, or called CBS, newspapers, or the police to ask if the broadcast was real. Many newspapers assumed that this large number of phone calls, and scattered reports of listeners rushing about or even fleeing their homes, proved the existence of a mass panic, though such behavior was never widespread.[4]:82–90, 98–103[26][27][28]

note the bolded bit, it wasn't the aliens that sparked the "panic" such as it was, but rather a mess of simmering tensions.

Furthermore from the wiki:

Historical research suggests the panic was far less widespread than newspapers had indicated at the time. "[T]he panic and mass hysteria so readily associated with 'The War of the Worlds' did not occur on anything approaching a nationwide dimension," American University media historian W. Joseph Campbell wrote in 2003. He quotes Robert E. Bartholomew, an authority on mass panic outbreaks, as having said that "there is a growing consensus among sociologists that the extent of the panic … was greatly exaggerated".[28]

This position is supported by contemporary accounts. "In the first place, most people didn't hear [the show]," said Frank Stanton, later president of CBS.[3] Of the nearly 2,000 letters mailed to Welles and the Federal Communications Commission after "The War of the Worlds," currently held by the University of Michigan and the National Archives and Records Administration, roughly 27% came from frightened listeners or people who witnessed any panic. After analyzing those letters, A. Brad Schwartz concluded that although the broadcast briefly misled a significant portion of its audience, very few of those listeners fled their homes or otherwise panicked. The total number of protest letters sent to Welles and the FCC is also low in comparison with other controversial radio broadcasts of the period, further suggesting the audience was small and the fright severely limited.[4]:82–93[26]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio_drama)

From wiki:

Some listeners heard only a portion of the broadcast, and in the tension and anxiety prior to World War II, mistook it for a genuine news broadcast.[25] Thousands of those people rushed to share the false reports with others, or called CBS, newspapers, or the police to ask if the broadcast was real. Many newspapers assumed that this large number of phone calls, and scattered reports of listeners rushing about or even fleeing their homes, proved the existence of a mass panic, though such behavior was never widespread.[4]:82–90, 98–103[26][27][28]

note the bolded bit, it wasn't the aliens that sparked the "panic" such as it was, but rather a mess of simmering tensions.

Furthermore from the wiki:

Historical research suggests the panic was far less widespread than newspapers had indicated at the time. "[T]he panic and mass hysteria so readily associated with 'The War of the Worlds' did not occur on anything approaching a nationwide dimension," American University media historian W. Joseph Campbell wrote in 2003. He quotes Robert E. Bartholomew, an authority on mass panic outbreaks, as having said that "there is a growing consensus among sociologists that the extent of the panic … was greatly exaggerated".[28]

This position is supported by contemporary accounts. "In the first place, most people didn't hear [the show]," said Frank Stanton, later president of CBS.[3] Of the nearly 2,000 letters mailed to Welles and the Federal Communications Commission after "The War of the Worlds," currently held by the University of Michigan and the National Archives and Records Administration, roughly 27% came from frightened listeners or people who witnessed any panic. After analyzing those letters, A. Brad Schwartz concluded that although the broadcast briefly misled a significant portion of its audience, very few of those listeners fled their homes or otherwise panicked. The total number of protest letters sent to Welles and the FCC is also low in comparison with other controversial radio broadcasts of the period, further suggesting the audience was small and the fright severely limited.[4]:82–93[26]

So was there or wasn't there mass panic? Seems like there are two sides to this story.

Also very crazy that some people would believe a book to be real, although I haven't read it, so I can't really comment. Must've been very convincing.

Here is a typical article about how newspapers embellished the panic situation to sell papers.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0617_050617_warworlds_2.html

But historians also claim that newspaper accounts over the following week greatly exaggerated the hysteria. There are estimates that about 20 percent of those listening believed it was real. That translates to less than a million people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio_drama)#Extent

Historical research suggests the panic was far less widespread than newspapers had indicated at the time. "[T]he panic and mass hysteria so readily associated with 'The War of the Worlds' did not occur on anything approaching a nationwide dimension," American University media historian W. Joseph Campbell wrote in 2003. He quotes Robert E. Bartholomew, an authority on mass panic outbreaks, as having said that "there is a growing consensus among sociologists that the extent of the panic … was greatly exaggerated".[28]

This position is supported by contemporary accounts. "In the first place, most people didn't hear [the show]," said Frank Stanton, later president of CBS.[3] Of the nearly 2,000 letters mailed to Welles and the Federal Communications Commission after "The War of the Worlds," currently held by the University of Michigan and the National Archives and Records Administration, roughly 27% came from frightened listeners or people who witnessed any panic. After analyzing those letters, A. Brad Schwartz concluded that although the broadcast briefly misled a significant portion of its audience, very few of those listeners fled their homes or otherwise panicked. The total number of protest letters sent to Welles and the FCC is also low in comparison with other controversial radio broadcasts of the period, further suggesting the audience was small and the fright severely limited.

You can find that many fringe sites use the War of the Worlds as an example of panic, but it wasn't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bau said:

So was there or wasn't there mass panic? Seems like there are two sides to this story.

Also very crazy that some people would believe a book to be real, although I haven't read it, so I can't really comment. Must've been very convincing.

You can download the show for free. It is not a copyrighted show. It often is played at Halloween.

Another of Welles' show caught him off guard. He did not have a practice room before the show so he rehearsed his bank robbery show on the roof of the broadcast building. He used blank guns. The shoot out was interrupted by the police who stormed the roof top rehearsal.

I know fully well that the papers lie, for certain, I don't need convincing of that, which is why to one of the original posts I made is why if any SETI organisation actually found alien evidence, especially of the living, breathing, in your face kinda thing that's why I think they would get all their facts before telling the public, because obviously we all know what the media is like.

Tbh, Stereo, I've never actually heard of this case before. I think one of the cases I can remember ( first one that come to mind) was a school somewhere in Asia that thought it had a gas leak of some kind, when it actually didn't, but the students had genuine symptoms of whatever gas they thought it was, even though it wasn't there. Crazy crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bau said:

I know fully well that the papers lie, for certain, I don't need convincing of that, which is why to one of the original posts I made is why if any SETI organisation actually found alien evidence, especially of the living, breathing, in your face kinda thing that's why I think they would get all their facts before telling the public, because obviously we all know what the media is like.

Tbh, Stereo, I've never actually heard of this case before. I think one of the cases I can remember ( first one that come to mind) was a school somewhere in Asia that thought it had a gas leak of some kind, when it actually didn't, but the students had genuine symptoms of whatever gas they thought it was, even though it wasn't there. Crazy crazy.

It is common to have this sort of localized behavior. Bad buildings is another example in which people all show odd symptoms while working in the building.

• Like 1

Just now, stereologist said:

It is common to have this sort of localized behavior. Bad buildings is another example in which people all show odd symptoms while working in the building.

What do you mean by bad buildings? Like they look ugly? Or kinda falling down?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bau said:

What do you mean by bad buildings? Like they look ugly? Or kinda falling down?

I can't recall the proper name. They used to talk about something like bad building syndrome. Ceilings and walls would get stripped. People are sick. New paint. New carpets. New furniture. New copier toner. New everything. People remain sick.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I can't recall the proper name. They used to talk about something like bad building syndrome. Ceilings and walls would get stripped. People are sick. New paint. New carpets. New furniture. New copier toner. New everything. People remain sick.

Like why some people believe a building is haunted?

1 minute ago, Bau said:

Like why some people believe a building is haunted?

I'm not sure about that but people often react the same, a sympathetic reaction. But bad buildings and the case yu mentioned are local reactions. Mass panics do happen but the appearance of aliens is not likely to cause a mass panic.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone here can definitively say what is going to happen if/when NASA or whoever releases information or whether we all see one up close and personal. Like I've said a bazillion times it's all speculation unless someone can conjure up an alien for us to test this out on xD

54 minutes ago, Bau said:

There was confusion. Lots of people rung CBS to find the truth, the switchboards couldn't handle the strain so no one got through so they rung the coppers. The phones to the coppers jammed those lines too. So ... well, there was just enough Proof for people to panic. 

But then ... they thought they were being invaded. As opposed to any statement about aliens NASA or whomsoever might make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

Sick Building Syndrome

• Like 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked

In case members have not made themselves familia6r with UM's Terms of Service, I'm going to leave a link. 

Remember the rules are something you agree to post by when you join.

Here

This goes for ALL members. Including those who are new(ish)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We always have faith in a bunch of hackers? Right........ NASA would LOVE to announce they found life 'somewhere' and their budget would go through the roof.

• Like 3