Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted, Cursed, and Mysterious Video Games

rashore

Perhaps the last thing from anyone’s mind when they think of the haunted or the cursed is video games. After all, this is supposed to be entertainment, a way to escape the stresses of the world and anything that may lie beyond it. Yet the world of video games has not gone untouched by tales of the strange, haunted, and unexplained. Ranging from the unknown to what is probably urban legend, these are weird tales that run the range of the odd and put a new spin on the up to now harmless pursuit of playing video games.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/06/haunted-cursed-and-mysterious-video-games/

• Like 4

I would say it is clear that Polybius was an experiment by the government. 

• Like 2

Thanks for this; right up my street! :-)

Amusing, but as someone who's played two of the games, I'm calling "urban legend" on Minecraft and Morrowind.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of that old pokemon myth, i cant remember which game maybe red or blue, but there is a level in the game called Lavender town and the music is meant to make kids commit suicide, obviously a load of bull but this thread made me think of it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lucient said:

Lavender Town is in the link.

And so it is, i guess thats what happens when you skip through things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2017 at 4:09 AM, Columbo said:

Well I can only say that "Sinneslöschen" (the name of the supposed, German company that produced Polybius and which I assume is supposed to mean "Mind Wipe") is NOT an actual, German word. 

The rest of the article: I assume the it's meant to be lighthearted "let's pretend to be scared of these urban legends, which would really be easy to debunk if we thought about it, because sometimes that's fun" 

On "haunted" video games there is actually a little, fan created Pokemon game that was based on an earlier Creepypasta called "Pokemon Lost Silver" that you can find and legally download. It's a fun little game,and very well made ,even featuring an alternate path not mentioned in the original Creepypasta (called Tarnished Gold). I'm surprised there aren't any other fan games/hacks based around "haunted" games. Or are there? 

Edited by Orphalesion

Polybius In 1981 Exactly what were the MIB downloading the data onto in 1981? Sounds like bull to me.

• 1 month later...

This is a pretty intriguing topic and I found that article fascinating.  It makes me think of the movie The Last Starfighter.  Even though the game in the movie was not "haunted of cursed" it did have an effect that was not initially desirable.

There are tons of Creepypastas dedicated to this topic. Anyone who doesn't know what that is just google it. You'll never be the same.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:09 PM, Columbo said:

Need more details.

On 6/27/2017 at 7:09 PM, Columbo said:

Ha! I never heard about that. 

• 1 month later...

Trust me. Being well versed in video game history and lore, I've dug deep into the Polybius myth many times over throughout the years. The general consensus is it was actually an entirely different game from around that same period of time or an early build of another game. Something like that. Been a while since I bothered to look into it so forgot some of the details. More than likely, the name is a fabrication based on a false memory and the story snowballed with additional peoples' vague memories of the arcade scene back then. Or, that's what we're told to believe, at least. xD

Considering how absurd some actual CIA plots truly were, I can honestly say I wouldn't be *too* surprised if it was all true, but I don't think there's anything to that one. 

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best videos I have watched regarding 'Polybius':

• Thanks 1