Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scottish Folklore in Danger of Dying Out

rashore

They are tales and legends which form the backbone of Scottish culture and heritage, but the nation’s rich folklore tradition is under threat. A survey has revealed that nearly a quarter of people are unable to name even just one myth, while more than two-thirds said they will not pass on stories to their children. It shows that majority of people have not heard a traditional story in the past two years, putting at risk a compendium of narratives stretching back centuries. The Folklore Society, a charitable body devoted to the study of all aspects of folklore, described the trend as “deeply saddening” and urged members of the public to keep old stories alive by sharing them with family members. In response, it has compiled a dedicated folklore map of Britain, which includes a clutch of Scottish tales.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/scottish-folklore-traditions-in-danger-of-dying-out-1-4483838

• Like 1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Essan

• oldrover

• rashore

Popular Days

I saw the same with reference to England and Wales ....

But I don't recall my parents ever telling me any folkore stories, when I was a kid, either.   I read them all in books .... 

So I guess the answer (to enage the modern youngster) is bring out a App?

Celtic folklore is for the large part lost in translation shall we say. It's important for it to be catalouged and to have a few authorities on it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to read it, I did and I'd rather have spent the time watching TV adverts. 

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Celtic folklore is for the large part lost in translation shall we say. It's important for it to be catalouged and to have a few authorities on it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to read it, I did and I'd rather have spent the time watching TV adverts. 

Aye, some of the tales in the Mabinogion are a bit repetitive at times for modern tastes!

But I think the real issue is with people passing on local folklore.   And thus the stories behind the origin of the names of some places and natural features gets forgotten.

5 minutes ago, Essan said:

Aye, some of the tales in the Mabinogion are a bit repetitive at times for modern tastes!

Oh my god! You too? 

Yep.  And through choice! 

14 minutes ago, Essan said:

Yep.  And through choice! 

Yeah me too. As far as I can remember it seemed to reflect our underlying anxiety about being short changed. This and one way streets lie very deep in our national psyche.