Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mobile phones can reduce your brain power

UM-Bot

Well it did not take scientists to tell us this...we see it everyday on the streets and roads. 

• Like 5

I raised two kids before the advent of smart phones and I now have a 16 yr old in the house who does nothing but stare at hers. Yeah, I see the difference. 

• Like 5

Not really surprising. I would imagine that the same thing would happen with any other object that could require regular interaction, such as a laptop, a tablet, a videogame, a small child, etc.

• Like 2

Mobile phones are a plague to humanity.

Sure, they are very useful but extremely detrimental to real-life social interaction.

Besides, we are all expected to own one. But I so far didn't go the 'smartphone' route, and instead bought a basic flip phone.

Edited by Be.cause
  • Like 1

The mere presence of something additional and potentially distracting was enough to tip the scales.

The title is kind of misleading.

It's just saying cell phones are distracting . Like of course lol

• Like 1

Wasn't it a number of years ago ghat cell phones caused brain cancer?

• Like 1

Watching my son play Plants Vs Zombies on my phone with his mouth wide open, dribbling is evidence of this fact......

• Like 1

The obsession with being 'connected' has become a dangerous obsession. I often see even adults raising their arms in the air as if to invoke some god but it's just an attempt at a better connection. I know teens used to hang on the landlines and yak but the cell phone allows it everywhere, all the time. Worst thing is people walk with their heads down. Kinda wonder what would happen if cell phones suddenly stopped working? <Gasp>

Edited by UFOwatcher
no reason
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use my phone on my breaks and because of the work I do I don't touch my phone as my hands are always something with something, glue, paint, grease and it doesn't bother me. And I don't answer my phone when I'm talking with someone, it's kinda funny the look on their face when I shut of the call and put it back in my pocket.:w00t:

jmccr8

You know I've read papers on the dangers of ballpoint pens? Then there's the famous quote from Socrates on the dangers of writing to the intellect.

My phone, and the constant stream of information I have access to has done me a world of good on my education. 

Yes it's also a time waster and distraction, as are most of human activities, I've noted. 

Maybe the big problem is not taking the time to learn or pass on proper behavior, and instead tossing the next generation a hugely shiny and playful toy and expecting them to figure it out themselves? 

Because frankly the best and worse case scenario is they do. 

Edited by ShadowSot