Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Owl In The Kids' Bedroom

CollectivTruths

Some time ago, our 3yo woke up several times one night, screaming and crying. I would run to her, and hold her until the crying and trembling stopped. Her eyes were frozen above the closet door and she cried about an owl. I told her there was no owl but she continued watching that spot and crying. She eventually fell asleep, and I chalked it up to night terrors.
Today, several months later, we were in her room where I was changing her clothes after a morning in the pool. I gave her some clothes with an owl on it and she says, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Imagine a 3yo saying this lol "An owl? Are you KIDDING me?" I remembered that night with her night terrors and asked, "Have you ever seen an owl?"
She immediately looked up above the closet door and pressed her lips together all serious-like and says, "remember when there was an owl in my room? Flying around and around?"
I thought she would have forgotten that...I though she was in sleep-talking or sleep-crying or something.
Apparently not.

Anyone else ever experience something like this? My daughter seems cooler about talking about owls, but clearly, she's holding a grudge.

• Like 3

She obviously saw owls before this happened, otherwise she would not have known what it was, so it is possible she had a bad dream about one. Note they happened when she was sleeping, this indicates nigthmares. And as with cases like these with very young children, they grow out of it, most of the time, unless encouraged to be afraid of "demons". Yep, some parents do that.

Some children have imaginary friends, some have bad dreams about something they have seen as scary, and owls can seem scary.

• Like 1

I'd be embarrassed to tell you a few things my kids said at that age (made me realize I had to watch my mouth and even if you don't think they're listening...they are). 

Probably just a nightmare/night terror. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

I'd be embarrassed to tell you a few things my kids said at that age (made me realize I had to watch my mouth and even if you don't think they're listening...they are). 

Probably just a nightmare/night terror. I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't want to high jack the thread so I'll just say I do understand lol. 

Sounds like she saw it as more then a dream. Maybe she had a sleep paralysis episode 

• Like 1

On 27.6.2017 at 6:36 PM, CollectivTruths said:

"remember when there was an owl in my room? Flying around and around?"

I can only speak for myself, but as a child, owls were closely connected with the night itself, the dark and with all the little spooky things I had been told about the witching hour. Depending on a child's mindset, we might add being alone in your room at night to that list. 

For how long had your little one been sleeping on her own when the incident occurred? And how does she react to "spooky stuff" she's told or that she picks up somewhere?