Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Detained for selling water at National Mall

OverSword

I see kids and homeless people selling cold bottled water on the street here on hot days.  And what's wrong with entrepreneurs making a bit of money after putting in a bit of work?  So let's assume that there is city codes against doing this without a license or something like that.  Is that a reason to handcuff people or dump out their product?  I have a feeling if these kids were white they would have been ignored or told to stop.  Pretty sick of seeing this type of thing in the USA.

Four young black men were handcuffed by undercover police Thursday for selling water on the grounds of the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

Tim Krepp, a tour guide at the mall, told HuffPost he had just finished his shift when he saw the young men being detained by plainclothes park policemen. 

Krepp, who has been a tour guide for nearly 11 years, said that he has seen young boys and girls selling water “all the time” but has never witnessed anyone be detained by police as a result. He said seeing the young men sitting handcuffed on the ground and being searched by the cops immediately struck him ― so he took pictures of the moment and shared them on Twitter. 

Read it here please

• Like 2

I really hate the assumptions....you have no idea whether or not they would have arrested white kids. For all we know those kids were given warnings previously or maybe they arrested white kids last week.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I see kids and homeless people selling cold bottled water on the street here on hot days.  And what's wrong with entrepreneurs making a bit of money after putting in a bit of work?  So let's assume that there is city codes against doing this without a license or something like that.  Is that a reason to handcuff people or dump out their product?  I have a feeling if these kids were white they would have been ignored or told to stop.  Pretty sick of seeing this type of thing in the USA.

Read it here please

Not much different than accosting people selling "loose cigarettes". Who cares? Are we really spending tax dollars to uphold such trivial laws?

• Like 3

Just now, skliss said:

. For all we know those kids were given warnings previously or maybe they arrested white kids last week.

but we do not know it, those kids may have no criminal record at all. we do not know it either. 

Exactly.....so assuming that white kids would have been ignored while doing the same thing is a leap.

• Like 2

Well, the bottom line is this:

You can't just sell stuff wherever you want, it's illegal for a number of reasons. We don't know if you're allowed to re-sell the bottled water they were selling. We don't know why they were cuffed. They were let off with a warning. 

'Krepp' has taken issue with the situation, but it's a highly opinionated issue, and we don't really know what went on. 

Also, that yahoo article is not written very well.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, aztek said:

did you really think BLM's "we want dead cops now" wouldn't backfire?

Ella agrees with you. :)

40 minutes ago, skliss said:

I really hate the assumptions....you have no idea whether or not they would have arrested white kids. For all we know those kids were given warnings previously or maybe they arrested white kids last week.

LOL!  Yeah!  That happened!  :lol:

• Like 1

I seriously doubt that had the police told white kids to cease and desist from selling water they would have either handcuffed them or dumped out their water.  I doubt it so much that I guarantee it wouldn't have happened.  This is not quality community policing.  This should not be tolerated or excused period.

Nothing like watching the police racial profile at the National Mall though.  Speaks volumes about where we're at.

Edited by OverSword

Just now, skliss said:

Exactly.....so assuming that white kids would have been ignored while doing the same thing is a leap.

good point, 

i see kids, mostly black, sell cold water on ocean prwy in brooklyn every summer, never seen or heard any of them arrested. i'm sure cops pass by them 20 times a day, 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Ella agrees with you. :)

Yep,  because he see's things for what they are in a real sense, nothing more nothing less.  I don't think he would steer anyone wrong when it comes to things spoken about on the political forum, unlike you.

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

good point, 

i see kids, mostly black, sell cold water on ocean prwy in brooklyn every summer, never seen or heard any of them arrested. i'm sure cops pass by them 20 times a day, 

I agree it was a good point Skliss made.But,  you provided evidence that showed it doesn't always pertain to what color people are when it pertains to whatever the law makers place into law. And it can go back and forth all day about this topic.

Edited by Ellapennella
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, aztek said:

good point, 

They went there with the intent of getting arrested.  At 10 cents they were losing money just on the cups not to mention the lemons, sugar, etc.  This is white kids being arrested in order to make a political statement and how many warnings did they get?  The cops did everything they could to avoid this paperwork. 

Not comparable.

I agree with these kid's message btw.

additionally, they didn't cuff these kids until they were arresting them and taking them the pokey.  The black kid's in the op were never charged.  They were handcuffed for the safety of themselves and the police :whistle:

Third edit to restate:  NOT COMPARABLE.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

Just now, OverSword said:

Third edit to restate:  NOT COMPARABLE.

maybe not 100% but this is the only article i found where white kids were arrested selling lemonade.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aztek said:

maybe not 100% but this is the only article i found where white kids were arrested selling lemonade.  

I'm pretty sure a little girl was ticketed for it a couple of years ago on her own street due to a witch of a neighbor.

• Like 1

Just now, OverSword said:

I'm pretty sure a little girl was ticketed for it a couple of years ago on her own street due to a witch of a neighbor.

yes that happens quite a lot, tickets, stand removal, even Jerry seinfield's kid's lemonade stand was closed down, in Hampton, but arrests are rare.

actually, technically those black kids were not arrested, they were cuffed, but no arrest record, no charges. not even a ticket. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, OverSword said:

Read it here please

DC Teens Handcuffed for Selling Water Without Permits Get Hooked Up with Jobs (VIDEO)

Now comes word via Washington’s ABC7 that two of those young men, Nolan White and Devin Gatewood (both 17-years-old), are the recipients of training from Raymond Bell for their new summer jobs through his Helping Other People Excel/H.O.P.E. project.

http://www.eurweb.com/2017/06/dc-teens-handcuffed-selling-water-without-permits-get-hooked-jobs-video/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aztek said:

did you really think BLM's "we want dead cops now" wouldn't backfire?

Do you think it's fine that this backfires on all black people? And which term would you use to describe this situation?

Just now, FLOMBIE said:

Do you think it's fine that this backfires on all black people? And which term would you use to describe this situation?

does not matter what i think, this is how things are.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

I don't think it reflects on all Africans. I do think that police are more watchful because of BLM who openly call for what they do and have done.

Police procedure - protocol- is the term .

were they selling genuine bottles, were they overcharging, were would the homeless store the unsold bottles? it's a health risk to  buy from them. 

• Like 2

Too much that we don't know about this situation.