Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When the Beast of Gévaudan terrorized France

Still Waters

The monster’s first victim was Jeanne Boulet, a 14-year-old girl watching her sheep. Her death was followed by others, almost exclusively women and children. Throughout 1764, the brutal attacks—victims with their throats torn out or heads gnawed off—riveted France. The violence was so shocking, news of it traveled from the countryside all the way to the royal palace in Versailles. What was this beast of Gévaudan, and who could stop its reign of terror?

Gévaudan, a region in southern France (in modern-day Lozère), was just as mysterious as its monster. It was the perfect place for a Grimm-like fairy tale starring a possibly supernatural creature. But for villagers under attack, reality was more brutal than any book. In three years time, the beast racked up nearly 300 victims, and its legacy lasted long beyond the 18th century.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/beast-gevaudan-terrorized-france-countryside-180963820/

• Like 7

Just now, Still Waters said:

The monster’s first victim was Jeanne Boulet, a 14-year-old girl watching her sheep. Her death was followed by others, almost exclusively women and children. Throughout 1764, the brutal attacks—victims with their throats torn out or heads gnawed off—riveted France. The violence was so shocking, news of it traveled from the countryside all the way to the royal palace in Versailles. What was this beast of Gévaudan, and who could stop its reign of terror?

Gévaudan, a region in southern France (in modern-day Lozère), was just as mysterious as its monster. It was the perfect place for a Grimm-like fairy tale starring a possibly supernatural creature. But for villagers under attack, reality was more brutal than any book. In three years time, the beast racked up nearly 300 victims, and its legacy lasted long beyond the 18th century.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/beast-gevaudan-terrorized-france-countryside-180963820/

I am absolutely fascinated by this story. In my opinion even the 'mundane' explanations are strangely exotic. 

• Like 4

Neat! Just when I'm about to work on my New France Festival clothes. My set is about 1750-60, so 1764-65 should still be relevant.

621cf49fe82b81eab716b042c276764f.png

Striped skirts were THE things in these years. No apron, so maybe I'll skip it this year. Although the fichu and bonnet are a most it's seems. She has ruffles on her shift's sleeves, may I should add some... something like 2 inches wide, maybe I have enough leftover for it. The casaquin is in chintz with a contrasting color from the skirt, warm color vs cold color. Interesting details for the pocket, she definitely has bordering tape there. And her basques are sew together for a few inches at the bottom, so this is an option too. I'll keep it in mind.

Ok, more on topic.

Dessin_de_la_bête_du_Gévaudan_1765_-_Archives_départementales_de_l’Hérault_-_FRAD034-C440002-00001.jpg

Hyena, ferocious animal which waste the Gevadan since 1864, as send to the court.

The animal is very rare out of Egypt. It is tall and resemble to a wolf except that it doesn't have legs as long. It has rough hair and spotty skin. Some despict it with the hound head, short and triangulated ears, the tail and paws of a lion. Pliny said it change sex every year, which means it is male one year and female the next. Aristotle and ??? said it renders dogs mute.

It seems there was a stripped hyena on display not so far from the village. But they would be a bit too small.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « striped hyena »

Although brown hyena looks more like it:

1280px-Five_cheetahs_were_feeding_on_a_Springbok_kill_one_morning_in_th_%2834407780271%29.jpg

That being said, the killing were still occurring even after they killed said beast, so who knows.

• Like 4

Hi all, 

I hope you are well well. 

Having travelled France and being a history nut im glad to have come across this here on UM. I have never heard of this before. 

It is not unlike the story of the Tsavo Man Eaters of 1898 (In modern day Kenya) - more famously known as "The Ghost" and "The Darkness" 

Link - https://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/4/9/1250842/-Tsavo-Man-Eaters-The-True-Story-of-the-Ghost-and-the-Darkness

• Like 3

The reality without the Hollywood glam ...

~

800px-Lionsoftsavo2008.jpg

Author Superx308 Jeffrey Jung email: superx308 at gmail.com

~

Man-eating lions ate fewer people than believed | The Field Museum

Feb 25, 2011 - Legendary "man-eating" lions of Tsavo likely ate about 35 ... the Field Museum, where taxidermists restored and stuffed the pelts and mounted ...

~

• Like 3

This story has always intrigued me. I remember seeing a documentary somewhere that made a pretty good case for it being a wolf/dog hybrid of some sort. But, even in my skeptical mind when I think about this....it's a demon dog or a werewolf.

• Like 1

I find this very hard to attach to a real animal, I'm deeply sceptical about this whole affair. 

• Like 1