Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bloatware

Keel M.

I got a new laptop about a month ago and there's still plenty of crap taking up space and I don't know how to tell what I need and what I don't need in order to create space. Is there a way to know what I absolutely need to keep the computer functioning as it ought to?

25 minutes ago, Nonentity said:

I got a new laptop about a month ago and there's still plenty of crap taking up space and I don't know how to tell what I need and what I don't need in order to create space. Is there a way to know what I absolutely need to keep the computer functioning as it ought to?

Yes, there are a number of things you can do. First you want to backup files you need like photo's or music. There are a number of utilities that will clean out temporary files, error logs...etc Basically things that the Windows OS ( I assume you're not using Mac, you didn't specify) creates and uses for various things such as debugging, backup in case you want to revert a driver or update, log files...etc. These can be useful if your trying to figure out a problem but for most people they are just considered "junk" files.

There are many utilities such as CCleaner but I prefer Wise's products. http://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-disk-cleaner.html  .They have quite a few free and useful products such as an uninstaller (which deletes related registry files) and a registry Cleaner as well. If you click on the settings menu, you can disable the news pop up which I find annoying. It's just a dialog that occasionally pops up to tell you news regarding their products. Their stuff is very good and their disk cleaner cleans more files than CCleaner does as well as most others.

Something else you may like are the following: You'll have to google the links for yourself but they are free tools.

• Tweaking.com's simple system tweaker. They also have an advanced system tweaker.
  • 0&0 Shutup10. It's a tool to remove Windows spying or anything involving your privacy.
  • Autoruns (tells you everything that is starting up with your computer, good if you suspect malware or) Basically you can remove startup items related to stuff you don't use.
  • Ultimate Windows Tweaker. Allows you to tweak Windows to your liking, has a lot of nice options.
  • PC Decrapifier. It removes stuff that OEM makers often put on laptops, those are typically useless to some but you may want to keep it if you use it.

The most extreme, if you're die hard about reducing the Windows OS size itself, is to use a tool called NTlite. The paid version allows you to do a live session which means you can load your currently installed Windows. Everything you hover over will explain to you what it is. It generally tells you if you need it or not and has an option where you can specify things you want so it will grey out any component that's related to it. Could be worth a look if you're really die hard to save space. I should note that NTlite basically removes Windows OS components that you can't otherwise remove. Such as Windows mail, Edge browser or even support for drivers such as Printers, anything you don't use, you can remove but it's permanent and wise to have a full backup first.

On that note however, external hard drives are getting a lot cheaper and I basically just store everything on those and keep my main hard drive for the operating system itself and installed apps. Any photo's, music, files, documents or downloaded files I put into my external drive so if I ever have a real issue, those are protected and I can just reinstall Windows at any time I wish without worry of losing anything critical to me.

Edited by NightScreams
  • Like 1

Thank you for your thorough response. I apologize for not being clear in my initial enquiry. I'm looking to get rid of program stuff that HP has put on this computer that I probably don't need. I bought a 64GB SD card to save all of my documents and the like on, but I'm interested in further freeing up space on the main drive. I deleted some stuff on my own initially, but am not sure if what is left is absolutely essential to the proper functioning of this computer.

Here's what I'm not sure about:

HP Audio Switch (Realtek High Definition Audio Driver is also there, but I'm unsure if I need both to be able to hear anything.

HP JumpStart Launch

HP Support Solutions Framework

HP System Event Utility

Sorry late reply but no you don't need those. Use a tool I mentioned previously called PC Decrapifier, it'll help you identify all the apps that HP put on there and remove them for you.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, Nonentity said:

Thank you for your thorough response. I apologize for not being clear in my initial enquiry. I'm looking to get rid of program stuff that HP has put on this computer that I probably don't need. I bought a 64GB SD card to save all of my documents and the like on, but I'm interested in further freeing up space on the main drive. I deleted some stuff on my own initially, but am not sure if what is left is absolutely essential to the proper functioning of this computer.

Here's what I'm not sure about:

HP Audio Switch (Realtek High Definition Audio Driver is also there, but I'm unsure if I need both to be able to hear anything.

HP JumpStart Launch

HP Support Solutions Framework

HP System Event Utility

If you have Win 10, it is pretty good already

Most of the HP Support items you quote are probably essential, or may be useful, and don't take up much space. Personally, I'd leave them.

"Bloatware" typically refers to 3rd party software which you can manually remove. None of this is bloatware.