Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Report highlights obesity in US dogs and cats

Claire.

Portly Pets: Report Highlights Obesity in US Dogs & Cats

As Americans are getting fatter, so are their pets — a new report says that about a third of pet cats and dogs in the United States are overweight or obese.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 1

Not ours.

Our cats and dogs are like us = "svelte" :lol:

• Like 3

It's for the harvest,  don't get on the ships and for the love of god don't let your pets go either.

• Like 1

At least they eat well and don't starve to death! B)

• Like 2

When I was growing up we had what to this day was the best cat I've ever seen.  We found him stuck in our lemon tree as a kitten hanging from the thorns, we gave him a hotdog and then he never left.  He was mostly an outside cat who would spend a lot of times indoors as well, but one day he disappeared and we thought he was eaten by a coyote or hawk.  Then we found out that our street actually had a crazy cat lady who would lure animals inside with food, and sell/adopt them out in the local Pennysaver magazine.  When we got him back he was traumatized for a few days and very fat.

Eventually he recovered and lost his weight after being able to exercise outside again for a month or two.  Most likely all of these obese animals are from areas where it's not practical to let the pet roam outside(we lived at the base of a mountain with a few large fields nearby and no busy roads).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Giovanni said:

At least they eat well and don't starve to death! B)

No, they won't starve, but they may die of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, gallbladder diseases, sleep apnea or other breathing problems, to name a few. Plus they'll have limited mobility, poor quality of life, possible depression, and joint and body pain.

But at least they're eating well, right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

No, they won't starve, but they may die of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, gallbladder diseases, sleep apnea or other breathing problems, to name a few. Plus they'll have limited mobility, poor quality of life, possible depression, and joint and body pain.

Western food products will do that to ya, regardless of species.

And that's not even getting into the euthanized horse meat in most canned petfood that causes tolarence to the drugs used later on in life when/if the vet puts the pet to sleep.  and with how nuts cats seem to go for cans I feel there may be an addictive additive in cans.

Also there's the growing problems with pet dental care, which is often overlooked until it's too late or close to it.

Exercise is the word. But yeah at least they're eating well. How dare i wrote that thing? I'm a terrible person! :wacko:

7 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Will you excuse me for being such a horrible person and didn't mention exercise?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, King Giovanni said:

Will you excuse me for being such a horrible person and didn't mention exercise?

No excuses.

EVER.....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

No excuses.

EVER.....

Sounds like mercy isn't something gorillas can show, right??

The thing is, i've seen stray animals too skinny to even move. I've even had nightmares about that. That's why i don't mind seeing chubby animals. That shows their owners care about them. It's way better than throwing them out on the streets, even they're called careless and irresponsible pet owners in both cases. Sometimes i'd even rather see fatty animals. At least they're not starving to death!