Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flu jab patch for people scared of injections

Still Waters

A 'painless' sticking plaster flu jab that delivers vaccine into the skin has passed important safety tests in the first trial in people.

The patch has a hundred tiny hair-like microneedles on its adhesive side that penetrate the skin's surface.

It is simple enough for people to stick on themselves.

That should help more people get immunised, including those who are scared of injections, experts told the Lancet journal .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40402775

If you are over the age of 8 years and are 'afraid' of a little shot then you just need to learn to suck it up. Life hurts and at times it can hurt quite a bit (more than a shot). You simply have to learn to deal with pain and do what you have to do despite some discomfort.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lilly said:

If you are over the age of 8 years and are 'afraid' of a little shot then you just need to learn to suck it up. Life hurts and at times it can hurt quite a bit (more than a shot). You simply have to learn to deal with pain and do what you have to do despite some discomfort.

Because phobias aren't real at all. Just "suck it up". It's only a mental disorder. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Because phobias aren't real at all. Just "suck it up". It's only a mental disorder. 

If it's an actual phobia then these people need to see a psychologist. Just offering up a patch won't help them with a full-fledged phobia.

8 hours ago, Lilly said:

If it's an actual phobia then these people need to see a psychologist. Just offering up a patch won't help them with a full-fledged phobia.

It would enable them to get a flu vaccine without having a panic attack.

• Like 1

Wow we are really creating a culture of whimps and snowflakes. After the patch do they get a lolly pop and a balloon. 

• Like 1

The article talked about fear of pain (not really about phobias). Frankly, the pain of an injection is rather minor.

1 hour ago, The Silver Thong said:

Wow we are really creating a culture of whimps and snowflakes. After the patch do they get a lolly pop and a balloon. 

I get a lollipop at my barbershop, but I get a beer too. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Lilly said:

The article talked about fear of pain (not really about phobias). Frankly, the pain of an injection is rather minor.

Yeah it is minor, the biggest needles I've had have been to donate blood, or blood tests, and realistically that's only a very small amount of discomfort too.

Also, I saw this patch on TV news last night, they said you have to hold it on for 20 minutes! What a pain in the ****. Unless I can stick it to my **** and sit on it for 20 mins...

Excellent idea. Would also have other applications besides delivering a flu shot as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

Excellent idea. Would also have other applications besides delivering a flu shot as well. 

That fact is lost on most posters is all they want to do is complain about things, it seems.

• Like 1

I've had type 1 diabetes for over 33 years, with twice-daily injections. That's over 24,000 injections!

You'd think with this I'd have cojones of steel, but sadly I still sniffle at the end of Pretty Woman :unsure2:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

That fact is lost on most posters is all they want to do is complain about things, it seems.

It seems so mate. Nothing wrong with change and doing things better.

• Like 1

Why don't they administer a pain killer through the plaster, so that they can inject the vaccine with the needle?

There you go problem solved. The best of both worlds and everyone goes home happy ! 

12 hours ago, taniwha said:

Why don't they administer a pain killer through the plaster, so that they can inject the vaccine with the needle?

There you go problem solved. The best of both worlds and everyone goes home happy ! 

They use lidocaine as a diluent with some medications before injection, that definitely helps.