Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thoughts on Fr. Ed Morley (RIP)

markdohle

Thoughts on Fr. Ed Morley (RIP)

The first time I met Ed Morley, was in 1970.  At that time I was in the Navy and was making my second visit; I was going to be there for two works.  The first thing I noticed about him was his dry at times (more often than not), sarcastic sense of humor.  He was often on point and he made me laugh.  He had a heavy cross to bear, in that he pretty much noticed everything about him.  Old eagle eye was my first nickname for him, though it was just between me and my-self.  He was visiting Br. Cornelius, who has sensed passed.  He was a member of the community for a short time in the late sixties.

Ed Morley reentered the community in the early 70’s and for a short time, we were in the Novitiate together.  Again his sarcasm made us all laugh.  We sort of hit it off but I was never in those early years drawn to him for friendship.  Yet I enjoyed his company and he would participate in our classes and I was often impressed by his intelligence. 

He was in politics in Philadelphia but he never really talked about it very much.   However, his passion for setting things right and his ability to see everything both below and above the surface made him perfect for that profession.  Though I believe that some of his anger came from that experience, for he was a man of high ideals. 

Around 1976 I was with Ed on the 4th of July talking over hamburgers and a beer when I suddenly got this strong impression that because of our vows to the
monastic life and to this particular community, we were both in some sense bonded for eternity.  Since at that time we were not friends, I found this insight (grace) both interesting as well as making me look at my Monastic and my connection with my brothers in a different manner, or perhaps in a more conscious approach. 

When he got to the point that he could not drive himself, I fell into the role of being his driver.  One reason that I drove him was because I was Infirmarian and simply did a lot of driving for doctors appointments for the older monks. So over the years, we fell into a routine of sorts. 

He loved to read, and his taste in books was impressive.  We would go to the library once a month to go to the libraries custom of selling overflow books.  He liked all kinds of reading, fiction, history and of course theology, though philosophy was not of much interest to him. 

Over the last couple of years, I noticed that his humor slowed down quite a bit.  So we would make our trip into town and go to the doctor or to the library and have lunch without saying much at all.  I was comfortable with him, and he, with me, so not many words were needed. 

He loved going to ‘Steak and Shake”, their hamburgers the main attraction.  I believe that his going there was a memory when he was much younger and into politics.  He was not one to reach out to people he did not know, he was quite introverted, apart from his humor. 

He struggled with his anger and I can remember once in the 1980’s when a group of us were meeting on a weekly basis to talk about our Monastic life, he talked about how each day we all struggle and fail and simply continue.  It was that moment that helped me to understand Ed better.  He was telling us in the third person how much he struggled and failed and would never give up.

He suffered greatly from Arthritis and in the winter it was very bad for him.  So for a few years, he would go down to Mepkin Abbey and live there and volunteer to work in the parishes around the area.  A few times he went down to Florida to work in a parish.  He liked it, but also found it difficult in dealing with the human condition. 

He took his work seriously, and on days when we went to a doctor’s appointment, he always made them at such a time, so he could be back for dishes if his crew was on that week.  He was a hard worker when younger.  When older he worked in our office keeping the books for Mass Stipends and other duties.

Fr. Ed’s last few months were difficult.  It was difficult for him to adapt after his first stroke and he would often have this prayer on his lips:  “O God help me”.  Said from the bottom of his heart, it was like saying “O God come to my assistance”, the prayer we do before each office.

After his second stroke, he seemed to come to some sort of acceptance.  His right side was paralyzed and he needed full-time care.  He became quite peaceful.  I joked with him one day about that and said: “God is working on you, Ed”.  He gave me his smile and said: “I hope so”. 

Underneath the bluster and lack of patience with others, was a man who was actually quite gentle and loving.  He just did not know what to do with that.  So I believe he joked to keep people at a certain distance.  The last months of his life he did not have that and perhaps that is what led to him having peace, this allowing other to care for him in a loving accepting manner…….a finale grace bestowed on this beautiful, complicated soul. 

• Like 1

~ condolences ~

• Like 1

7 hours ago, third_eye said:

~ condolences ~

I will miss him, thank you.

Peace

Mark

• Like 1