Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman in shop breaks a $44,000 jade bracelet

Still Waters

A Chinese woman fainted in a jewellery shop after accidentally breaking a jade bracelet priced at $44,000 (£35,000).

The tourist from eastern Jiangxi province was trying on the bracelet in a shop in Ruili in Yunnan province near the border with Myanmar, where much of the jade in China is from.

When she was told the bracelet's price she quickly took it off but in her haste dropped it, state media reported.

No agreement over compensation for the shop has yet been reached.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40429040

• Like 3

That's bad..But the jewellery shop should have some kind of insurance for that.

As much as it is the woman's fault, they have handed it to her and there is always a risk.

• Like 2

Could she afford the bracelet?

I sure as hell can't afford a Ferrari, so I won't be going to the dealer to go for a test drive.

3 minutes ago, Redefining Success said:

Could she afford the bracelet?

I sure as hell can't afford a Ferrari, so I won't be going to the dealer to go for a test drive.

They wouldn't let you. The minute a sales person comes to talk to you they ask for your drivers license. They go into the office and check your credit before they will waste any time on you. :P

• Like 1

She definitely don't shop in the same place as me... :whistle:

If the woman goes bankrupt over the bracelet, it sure won't help the shop either. I would refit the pieces into new sets of jewelry, see how much I could get and ask the difference to the woman. Or since she could only pay $1,500, use the money for the refitting.

34 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They wouldn't let you. The minute a sales person comes to talk to you they ask for your drivers license. They go into the office and check your credit before they will waste any time on you. :P

Clearly you haven't seen where the nearest dealer is. Most licences have "Kellogg's" written on the back! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Redefining Success said:

Clearly you haven't seen where the nearest dealer is. Most licences have "Kellogg's" written on the back! 

I only know because I went car shopping with my sister and her husband. The Cadillac dealer did it so I assume a Ferrari dealer would too.

2 hours ago, Gingitsune said:

She definitely don't shop in the same place as me... :whistle:

If the woman goes bankrupt over the bracelet, it sure won't help the shop either. I would refit the pieces into new sets of jewelry, see how much I could get and ask the difference to the woman. Or since she could only pay $1,500, use the money for the refitting.

...kinda harsh for the store to sue her. The store would have to prove that the bracelet wasn't damaged in the first place. Also it would be reasonable to assume that the store is insured for such things. 

• Like 1