Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The car(s) you love

King Giovanni

Okay, fellas, i just came up with this idea. I didn't see this type of topic in this section, so i thought 'Why not create it myself?'. Do you have a specific brand of car you love the most? If so, what is it? I hope this will turn up nicely! Let's see which is the most popular brand in the UM forums!

• Like 5

I want my first car back again.

A 1968 Chrysler Newport Custom with 440 C.I.D., But it got 12 to 14 miles per gallon (an Imperial gallon). Maybe 16 to 18 on the highway if you didn't put your foot into it.

• Like 6

Chevrolet of course. I've only got about 758 photos of the cars I have built or worked on over the last 5 decades. ;)

• Like 5

Jaguar Mk II,   3.8  long 6  motor    -     most fun car I ever had  -  also know as 'the bank robber's special    ( and I dont mean fun robbing banks )  .

Image result for 1955 Jaguar Mk II, long 6  engine

Image result for 3.8  Jaguar Mk II,  interior

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 6

Why bank robbing ?   (English Bank robbing, that is )

easy to steal and start ( push start button - old style )

goes like 'Juggernaut'  *

solid metal, near bulletproof

solid construction for punching through police roadblocks , or other cars in the way

huge boot  ( stashes more cash )

heaps of them about , safety in numbers  

Image result for 'Juggernaut'  gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kismit said:

I'm a sucker for an Aussie muscle car.

d602783ee6f9a75d9c02e149e41faf77--holden

In particular the Bathurst winning, 1970 Holden Monaro HT Grand Touring Special.

That's a beautiful car.

Beautiful indeed!

• Like 1

I have my grandmother's Mercedes 190SL. I will have to double check, but believe it's the 1957 model. It needs extensive restoration work because one day 50 or so years ago, she decided to deliberately crash through a police barrier. Long story.

I'm not much of a car person, but these Mercedes are absolutely gorgeous. Here's a photo of one in mint condition.

a94Ujh7.jpg?1

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Claire. said:

I have my grandmother's Mercedes 190SL. I will have to double check, but believe it's the 1957 model. It needs extensive restoration work because one day 50 or so years ago, she decided to deliberately crash through a police barrier. Long story.

I'm not much of a car person, but these Mercedes are absolutely gorgeous. Here's a photo of one in mint condition.

a94Ujh7.jpg?1

That's a great car, despite it's 60 years old! I've always been into German, American and Italian cars! I simply love them :D

• Like 2

My 70 Camaro RS as it appeared in a national magazine. Was fortunate enough to be awarded "Editor's Choice" by Super Chevy magazine.

4565461755_d2a55622b6_o.jpg

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Claire. said:

Do tell! ;)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Chevrolet of course. I've only got about 758 photos of the cars I have built or worked on over the last 5 decades. ;)

Do you own your own shop? If so can I shoot you a PM? I'm trying to get a resto-mod biz going and I need all the advice I can get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Do tell! ;)

My grandmother was front and center at an anti-Vietnam war protest at her university that got pretty intense. She had been arrested multiple times before during various other protests and the police kept letting her go with a warning on the condition that she stop. Long story short, one of the cops from before recognized the little anarchist and gave chase. My grandmother managed to get to her illegally parked (as usual) car and took off. She sped through the barricades, lost control and crashed. The car was impounded so that the police could search it for you know what. In the meantime, she persuaded her parents to get her another car, and the Mercedes was put into storage with the intent to get it repaired at some point (which no one ever got around to doing). And yes, she got off scot-free... again.

So anyway, when I expressed interest in it, my grandmother said she would have it repaired for me because no girl should be without a getaway car. :lol:

• Like 8

3 hours ago, internetperson said:

Do you own your own shop? If so can I shoot you a PM? I'm trying to get a resto-mod biz going and I need all the advice I can get.

I did own a performance shop for a long time, but I have been retired for about 7 years. Yes, I will try to offer any advice if you want to PM me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, King Giovanni said:

That's a great car, despite it's 60 years old! I've always been into German, American and Italian cars! I simply love them :D

The Brits make amazing cars as well. When I was searching earlier for photos, I came across this Jag and couldn't stop drooling.

X79sD4N.jpg?1

• Like 4

16 hours ago, back to earth said:

Jaguar Mk II,   3.8  long 6  motor    -     most fun car I ever had  -  also know as 'the bank robber's special    ( and I dont mean fun robbing banks )  .

Image result for 1955 Jaguar Mk II, long 6  engine

Image result for 3.8  Jaguar Mk II,  interior

Sorry back to earth, but NO! It was the 3.4 that was the bank robbers preference, not the 3.8. There was little difference in performance but the handling was better on the 3.4. 

That's my pedantry out for the day. 

Seriously though well done for having one of those, they were affordable here at one time then they went through the bloody roof in the classic car boom a few years ago. Now it's the XJ6. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Claire. said:

a94Ujh7.jpg?1

Got a funny feeling you're going to win this one Claire. That is one of the most beautiful and classy cars ever built. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Got a funny feeling you're going to win this one Claire. That is one of the most beautiful and classy cars ever built. 

I totally agree. I saw one on the street a while back and couldn't stop looking at it. It's like a work of art.

• Like 3

My favourite brands were always Rover* (hence my user name) and Jaguar.

*To any younger British people here, this isn't what it sounds like OK. Forget the SD1 and the Honda clones at one time they were great. 

I grew up in P6s and learned to drive in a P4, years later I had the one I really wanted which was the P5b Coupe, one of these

Related image

dda55b85f87885f9b2d639296bdb112c.jpg

As I say, I'd wanted one for years but to be honest, it was a bit underwhelming. I spent more than enough on it 15 years ago when in fact I should have bought one of these. 

Image result for jaguar xj6

The XJ6, the second most beautiful car ever made. 

These days though I'm firmly attached to Alfa Romeo, in particular my Alfa P3 GTV, this isn't mine but it's exactly the same, which is why I chose the glam shot

Image result for blue alfa romeo gtv jts

I will never part with this car. It may not be that quick, and it can be a little swine when it wants to, and yes the garage bills are now at around four times the purchase price, but the handling and road feel make it one to keep for life. I also think it's the most beautiful car I've ever seen, but them I'm biased. 

I also really like the classic Range Rovers. 

• Like 4

I can see it's time for another infusion of American muscle. ;)

We built this 69 Camaro Z28 from the ground up.

4333121241_623325c918_o.jpg

Now a 427 Big Block sits between the fenders.

4701984714_39c16d955b_b.jpg

And this 67 Chevelle "496 SS" was one of the last projects we did.

4421691934_e46acbacb7_o.jpg

4419878955_650c1a986e_o.jpg

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 6

Wayhay! My kinda thread!!

10 hours ago, Claire. said:

I have my grandmother's Mercedes 190SL.

Simply beautiful, there are no other words for it.

My old boss had one around ten years ago. A coupe, not a rag top, and it got stolen from the unit we worked in. It was later found and he got it back but a little worse for wear - nothing drastic but he didn't have faith in it anymore. So, he bought a fairly newish Merc quite cheap and transplanted the modern running gear into the old girl. Drove much nicer, was faster, better on fuel and more reliable. Win win. :D

2 hours ago, Claire. said:

I came across this Jag and couldn't stop drooling.

Enzo Ferrari was the same. So much so that this is a fairly famous quote about the E-Type 

download.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I also really like the classic Range Rovers. 

You mean like this one? I really like them as well. That's what I would buy if I worked for National Geographic or something. It smacks of being the kind of car an adventurer would drive. Your Alfa Romeo by the way is pretty sleek.

sIZLaWP.jpg?1

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

And that right there for me is the money shot!  

Edited by Kismit
family show
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

We built this 69 Camaro Z28 from the ground up.

4333121241_623325c918_o.jpg

Now a 427 Big Block sits between the fenders.

4701984714_39c16d955b_b.jpg

4419878955_650c1a986e_o.jpg

Is this your work. It's fabulous. Detailing is superb.

This is my favorite era for cars.

Except maybe those lovely wooden framed, very early models of human engineering, which leave me in awe of man kinds ability to make cool stuff.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Simply beautiful, there are no other words for it.

My old boss had one around ten years ago. A coupe, not a rag top, and it got stolen from the unit we worked in. It was later found and he got it back but a little worse for wear - nothing drastic but he didn't have faith in it anymore. So, he bought a fairly newish Merc quite cheap and transplanted the modern running gear into the old girl. Drove much nicer, was faster, better on fuel and more reliable. Win win. :D

I don't even have it yet and I'm already worrying about having it stolen or damaged. It can be replaced obviously, but the sentimental value of it is what matters to me most. And yeah a compliment from Ferrari is the best advertisement ever.

• Like 4