Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The car(s) you love

King Giovanni

7 minutes ago, Claire. said:

You mean like this one? I really like them as well. That's what I would buy if I worked for National Geographic or something. It smacks of being the kind of car an adventurer would drive. Your Alfa Romeo by the way is pretty sleek.

sIZLaWP.jpg?1

That's the one. Same company as my old car. And thanks. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I can see it's time for another infusion of American muscle. ;)

From the ground up? Wow. The workmanship is amazing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

I don't even have it yet and I'm already worrying about having it stolen or damaged. It can be replaced obviously, but the sentimental value of it is what matters to me most. And yeah a compliment from Ferrari is the best advertisement ever.

They are not replaceable. Especially after all the hard work of restoration. You can get a new one. But you can't have the same one. And they (classic cars) are getting rarer and harder to find. Each one unique, each one special.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I also really like the classic Range Rovers. 

Me too but they are hugely, hugely unreliable (I've worked on a few)

We have a newish Range Rover Evoque and it's been ok up to now (only had it a couple months so time will tell) but there are still stories of woe abound from the JLR brand and their products. Lots of toys in them though.

Love the GTV too! I know what you mean about drivers cars, we have a TT Quattro too and I much prefer driving that to the Evoque. :lol:

• Like 2

I've got say this thread is likely to be dominated by Italy, Germany, The U.S and Britain, so I think the French should be represented here too with another of my favourites the Facel Vega HK500, apologies to any fans of Albert Camus. I've never even seen one of these in real life.

Image result for facel vega

And this thought provoking escapee from Blake's 7, the Citroen SM

File:Citroen SM Mulhouse FRA 002.JPG

Apparently the most aerodynamic car ever produced. Engine by Maserati, full lock on one turn of the wheel with tracking headlights. Leather interior option cost the same as a MIni. Maintenance from hell, it'd be a brave soul who took on one of these, and I'm saying that as an Alfa owner. Still, one of the most interesting cars ever made in my book. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Me too but they are hugely, hugely unreliable (I've worked on a few)

We have a newish Range Rover Evoque and it's been ok up to now (only had it a couple months so time will tell) but there are still stories of woe abound from the JLR brand and their products. Lots of toys in them though.

Love the GTV too! I know what you mean about drivers cars, we have a TT Quattro too and I much prefer driving that to the Evoque. :lol:

Oh yeah, I was going to buy one a few years ago but this little voice kept warning me not to because of that. 

And thanks. I've heard glowing reports of the TT and its handling. A mate of mine in work has had countless BMW, Mercedes etc but the one he says was the best handling was the TT. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

They are not replaceable. Especially after all the hard work of restoration. You can get a new one. But you can't have the same one. And they (classic cars) are getting rarer and harder to find. Each one unique, each one special.

Yes absolutely, you're quite right.

• Like 4

All gorgeous cars!!    My dream car is a '67 Mustang Convertible, cherry red.   I lean toward American Muscle Cars, one of my best friends has a restored '72 Buick Skylark that she takes around to car shows.  I basically drool over any Muscle Cars from the 60s and 70s.   :wub:

Picture+8.png

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 7

This looks very similar to the color on her Skylark.  

1972_Buick_Skylark_Front.jpg

• Like 3

I also have to mention a couple of often overlooked British Muscle car, the Jensen Interceptor and the FF. The Mark 3 version having a 7.25 American Engine in it, as opposed to the tiny 6.25 of its predecessors.

1024px-Jensen_Interceptor_III.jpg

I nearly bought one of these once on Ebay when I was drunk. 

The FF is essentially the same outwardly except it's about six inches longer and has a double vent on the front wing. Internally it has Ferguson's four wheel drive system in it, but configured that power is unevenly distributed between the front and rear wheels for better handling. 

These cars did have a drawback though, they tended to overheat a bit

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9KzD0C1iTpUcTmivfc98Yjj2KQ8gb535RS6FR4WavGPTfg7RB

So much so that it's reputed that someone produced a cookery book to go with the car, X miles to cook a salmon under the bonnet and so on. I'm not sure if that's true though. 

• Like 4

My hubby had a '70 F85 Cutlass when we first got together.  

tom70a.jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Claire. said:

From the ground up? Wow. The workmanship is amazing.

You're too kind Claire, I won't spam this thread more than I already have. :)

Except this is the engine compartment in my 70 Camaro.

4681025264_33594a38f8_o.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, tcgram said:

My hubby had a '70 F85 Cutlass when we first got together.  

tom70a.jpg

Very interesting lines there tcgram, I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. Very nice. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I won't spam this thread more than I already have.

You're not spamming .ZZ., that's what this thread is all about.

• Like 5

Just now, .ZZ. said:

I don't know anything about the inside of cars, but just taking a look at that engine, I can see how complex and intricate the work is. You're incredibly talented.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

4681025264_33594a38f8_o.jpg

Where do you source the red and blue hose fittings from? We have a fine example of the Monaro I pictured. She has several second place trophies, but we want to take her frome Bridesmaid to bride. 

Our current hose fittings are red, the paint job on the car is a gorgeous purple. And they don't match. Would love to surprise my hubby with some purple ones.

Oh and by the way ZZ, the only thing missing from that picture is an audio file...mint :tu:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Where do you source the red and blue hose fittings from? We have a fine example of the Monaro I pictured. She has several second place trophies, but we want to take her frome Bridesmaid to bride. 

Our current hose fittings are red, the paint job on the car is a gorgeous purple. And they don't match. Would love to surprise my hubby with some purple ones.

Oh and by the way ZZ, the only thing missing from that picture is an audio file...mint :tu:

Kismit, This company has everything you need. Fast shipping world wide.

There are many different fittings available, thousands actually. The search feature is user friendly too.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Kismit, This company has everything you need. Fast shipping world wide.

There are many different fittings available, thousands actually. The search feature is user friendly too.

Thanks .ZZ Mr Kiz is going to love me even more after this.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Thanks .ZZ Mr Kiz is going to love me even more after this.

You're quite welcome Kizzy.

These fittings used to be available in purple, I've used them. I don't see them now, just chrome, red, blue, and black.

Edit: Sometimes they may not show all they stock, maybe a call to them would help.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 4

Happy early 4th everbody :D

As far as brand i'm with Z...Chevy man here older models atleast...

Favorite brand i've ever owned and helped build...well Pontiac Trans Am ;)

Pure beast mode if ya know what you are doing!...luckily i had someone who did (my uncle) and learned a lot!

Bad part...when you are going almost 160mph down the interstate and wind up running into a rain storm that wasn't happening a mile and a half back,hit heavy water on the road on pretty much slicks,and slide about a quarter mile sideways before hitting the passenger side backend on a barrier wall...Good times :lol:

Great thread guys/ladies...even better cars!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Claire. said:

The Brits make amazing cars as well. When I was searching earlier for photos, I came across this Jag and couldn't stop drooling.

X79sD4N.jpg?1

While very true some truely elegant looking cars...Brit cars can be a freaking nightmare to work on! :w00t:

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Happy early 4th everbody :D

As far as brand i'm with Z...Chevy man here older models atleast...

Favorite brand i've ever owned and helped build...well Pontiac Trans Am ;)

Pure beast mode if ya know what you are doing!...luckily i had someone who did (my uncle) and learned a lot!

Bad part...when you are going almost 160mph down the interstate and wind up running into a rain storm that wasn't happening a mile and a half back,hit heavy water on the road on pretty much slicks,and slide about a quarter mile sideways before hitting the passenger side backend on a barrier wall...Good times :lol:

Great thread guys/ladies...even better cars!

LOL, don't try this at home. This is a cockpit video of a car I did back in 1998-2000

160mphzz430 (don't try this)

Edited by .ZZ.
Link trouble forget the second one, it won't delete
  • Like 3

Just now, .ZZ. said:

LOL, don't try this at home. This is a cockpit video of a car I did back in 1998-2000.

Not getting vid bud,just a pic...:huh:

My ass lucked up and i shifted down and slowed just enough (somewhere around 90-110 before my side slide started lol) with the tread on those tires if you even want to call it that...if i woulda hit those breaks i woulda been a dead man!

This was about 18 months after i almost died in a car wreck that i wasn't even driving in,in a damn Chevy Malibu :lol:

Had to take the "training wheels" off and go all out again...Though that incident taught me to do so with atleast a lil caution going forward lol

One helluva ride :w00t: :lol:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Not getting vid bud,just a pic...:huh:

My ass lucked up and i shifted down and slowed just enough (somewhere around 90-110 before my side slide started lol) with the tread on those tires if you even want to call it that...if i woulda hit those breaks i woulda been a dead man!

This was about 18 months after i almost died in a car wreck that i wasn't even driving in,in a damn Chevy Malibu :lol:

Had to take the "training wheels" off and go all out again...Though that incident taught me to do so with atleast a lil caution going forward lol

One helluva ride :w00t: :lol:

If you click it and wait it will load I hope. (snore) lol

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

If you click it and wait it will load I hope. (snore) lol

Got that time,sweet bro! :tu:

My problem was...didn't know it was raining not far away and at night...

Imagine my suprise a lil less than a quarter mile away and all i saw going from a dull dim straightaway to glistening streets with a matter of seconds to react :o

My uncle raised hell saying "you don't know how to handle it"...he saw the damage and wasn't that bad considering,even the state trooper first on the scene argued in my favor because he got a call from someone i passed by near a overpass and hit my slide in their frame of view...he said it was damn near a miracle lol...i know better now days,i'm outta miracles :rofl:

I've got pics somewhere of the damage and a vid of the actual route,not sure if i got a computer that will load that old memory tech anymore or not lol

• Like 3