Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking: 'Trump could turn Earth in to Venus'

UM-Bot

hawking is off his rocker

he's been making weird statements for quite some time. Either he loves being in the press

or is just totally mad. No apologies for my words

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Astra. said:

As much as I have always had a great deal of respect for Steven Hawking, and what he has contributed in the way of science etc...I'm afraid he is definitely showing signs of senility. 

I agree, some of his claims seem to be getting a bit outlandish. Without reading the article, if he did say what was written above about Trump, then that's just a tad alarmist and silly. 

• Like 6

If you actually read what he said, then it's not so bad as all that. He is clearly employing hyperbole to illustrate his point -  something that all of us do a million times per day - but the bulk of his comments are not that controversial.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

If you actually read what he said, then it's not so bad as all that. He is clearly employing hyperbole to illustrate his point -  something that all of us do a million times a day - but the bulk of his comments are not that controversial.

Yes, but not 'all of us' are high profiled and world-renowned theoretical physicist's either....where many people would still believe this type of alarmist hyperbole.

Lets face it... it's already difficult enough these days, in trying to separate truth from fiction, without Steven Hawking weighing in on climatic doom for the planet, because of Donald Trump. Seriously, things are getting more sillier every day.

• Like 9

Before offering a critique of prof. Hawkings remarks, might I suggest a visit to the ipcc site for some background research. In particular, spend a few minutes reading the summary for policy makers report.

• Like 5

From the article:

"We are close to the tipping point where global warming becomes irreversible. Trump's action could push the Earth over the brink, to become like Venus, with a temperature of two hundred and fifty degrees, and raining sulphuric acid," he told the BBC.

Oh the drama! Embellish much?

'tis the season to pile on Potus.

• Like 8

Thing is no matter how brilliant he is, here he is outside of his field. All science is very specialized for good reason. For record I do believe global warming is happening and largely man made, but to exact degree and severity of consequences is debatable. I think we should do something about it though just to be prudent...

• Like 1

What is next? Hawking's sublime advice on growing tulips? Hawking's marvelous insights about the perfect length of a fishing rod?

To be a black hole or not to be a black hole, that is the question!

Considering that his children are all producing carbondioxide, if he is right he would have done Earth' climate a service by not having begotten them. Q.E.D.

• Like 5

It's so easy to blame trump for anything these days. if there is any serious concern about global warming, countries like India China Pakistan etc should be asked to reduce their ever growing population . 

• Like 5

I'm sorry I didn't know Hawking was a climatologist I thought he was a theoretical physicist.  Silly me.

• Like 4

Oh wow he is already 75. How time flys 

4 hours ago, Lilly said:

The notion that Trump is the cause of every problem in the universe is, well, rather nutty.

Somebody has to be the scape goat

• Like 1

I just had a thought.  Maybe we aren't the Martians.  Maybe we're the Venusians and already destroyed the climate on Venus! :whistle:

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Astra. said:

Yes, but not 'all of us' are high profiled and world-renowned theoretical physicist's either....where many people would still believe this type of alarmist hyperbole.

Lets face it... it's already difficult enough these days, in trying to separate truth from fiction, without Steven Hawking weighing in on climatic doom for the planet, because of Donald Trump. Seriously, things are getting more sillier every day.

Astra.. I was being a trifle ... arch ? Hence my original comment about "we all do it". 

Professor Hawkins has long pointed out that the ONLY way of assuring "Humanities" future is to send out colonies from the planet Earth, such that the destruction of the latter wouldn't mean the end of humanity. This is not new. 

I think we are over-analysing a simple hyperbolic statement, taken out of context of the wider article. 

remember... Hawkins is a scientist, not a politician or an agit-prop radical. Lets analyse his comments in that context. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

In an interview on his 75th birthday, Professor Stephen Hawking warned of the dangers of global warming.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/309201/hawking-trump-could-turn-earth-in-to-venus

I like how Mars and Venus have been warming up over the last couple of decades and we claim our similar warming is down to human activity. Not the sun....

Trump is upsetting the group think, good boy!

• Like 2

It will take more than just Trmp to endanger the planet that seriously.  Trmp will be in office four years, maybe less.  There is nothing he can do in that time that we can't undo as soon as he's gone.  And that is one reason companies are reluctant to pollute - as soon as the laws are changed back, they'll have to clean up the messes they've made.  And Trmp isn't even slowing down the process of converting to wind.  Economics is driving that and it speaks louder than Trmp's "alternative facts."

Doug

26 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I like how Mars and Venus have been warming up over the last couple of decades and we claim our similar warming is down to human activity. Not the sun....

You can blame that on orbital mechanics.  If it weren't for CO2 pollution, orbital mechanics would have started us into a cooling period about 10 years ago.  The solar cycle jumps up and down every nine to eleven years.  If solar activity were driving temperature change as much as deniers think, we would see that cycle in the temperature curve.  It's there, but of such a small amplitude that statistics has to remove a lot of other variation before it can be seen.

Doug