Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
UM-Bot

Hawking: 'Trump could turn Earth in to Venus'

330 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AnchorSteam said:

That is strange... he should have located up here. Less than a tenth of the new board-feet of timber that grows every year is harvested, the rest goes up in smoke.

LOTS of smoke, this time of year the air-quality is worse than L.A., and there is no major industry within 400 miles. 

He's an employee and only moved to Denver after the plant was already being built.  I don't know why they picked Denver, I would have gone to a place with more wood available.  Of course, it's a pilot plant - they don't need that much wood.

1 hour ago, AnchorSteam said:

You and me both.

It isn't hit us the way it hit them. Here, 90% of the price of food is in processing, packaging and shipping. Down there, they buy it raw and process it at home. 

(btw- ever eaten corn raw off the cob? I have, and I never went back to heating it up again)

I used to buy some corn flakes from Mexico, but we couldn't get them year-round, so the store quit carrying them.

I grew up on a farm - straight off the stalk.

Doug

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

TVA is coal plants too? Interesting, I didn't know that. But I should have guessed, all that coal is right there in that area.

How about new turbines?

Yup.  Coal plants, dams, locks, navigation...  They were even talking about wood chips awhile back, but TVA wasn't sure they could get a steady supply and didn't want to risk it.

Gas turbines are really close to wind in price.  Nexterra is using them as backup to their windmills.  My daughter is a mud-logger/geostearer/geochemist on some of those wells.  Lots of drilling stories.  Most of our wells cost about $3 million dollars and take about 30 days to drill.  The "Well from Hell" took 83 and cost close to $8 million.  They were losing money from the minute they started pumping it.

Her last well was TD'd (Total Depth) when she still thought there was hope for it.  They were trying to drill horizontally through an eight-foot target stratum from 8000 feet above.  Like trying to push a noodle through sandstone.  There's some sort of fault or something down there.  They've hit it with three different wells now.  They're drilling and all of a sudden they're forty feet above where they thought they were.

And the companies are pretty competitive.  One little company found an old river delta buried 5000 feet down.  They figured out that there was oil in the old river channels and started buying up all the leases over the channels.  Chesapeake saw them getting oil and noticed there was some available leases.  After five dry holes, they figured it out.  No wonder Chesapeake has trouble.  When Chesapeake donated $2 million to the victims of the Moore Tornado, folks were asking who they borrowed it from.

Doug

1 person likes this

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, AnchorSteam said:

The current tech just isn't up to the job, not efficiently, which is why Tesla needs subsidies. 

The "do something" mentality is leading to projects that aren't fully developed yet.  Obama's Cash-for-Clunkers being a case in point.

First, they didn't have a really gas-efficient car available, so there was little environmental benefit.

Second, they insisted on crushing cars that still had a lot of good miles left in them, forcing people to keep older, dirtier cars on the road.  And that led to a shortage of used cars for the used-car markets, cutting low-income folks out of the market altogether.  This was really a Detroit Bailout Program.

Law of Unintended Effects, or just not thinking it through first?

Cash-for-Clunkers may be a good idea when we finally get the needed fuel efficiency.  When implemented, it needs to accept any combination of an engine block and frame for crushing - whether it's running or not, whether it's even in one piece or not.  That way we won't cut into the used-car market and we'll clean up those junk cars we see around the countryside and we'll get fuel-efficient cars onto the road.

The technology wasn't ready for Cash-for-Clunkers and it isn't yet.  Same thing with some ideas now being floated by politicians.  We need to think these things through first.

Doug

1 person likes this

I think that the one thing we can all agree on here is that alarmist statements like the one in the OP is counter productive ?

16 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think that the one thing we can all agree on here is that alarmist statements like the one in the OP is counter productive ?

I think we can agree on that.  The rub is in figuring out what's alarmist.  I suspect some of the early folks weren't too careful about what they put out and some of their mistakes are still floating around.

Doug