Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ROBOT 'saves a girl from being crushed':

seeder

Astonishing moment a ROBOT 'saves a girl from being crushed': Manufacturers claim machine moved forward and raised its arm to stop shelves toppling onto child 'despite NOT being programmed to do that'

Promobot, a Russian creation, is supposed to be capable of 'learning' for itself
    Video captured it appearing to save a girl climbing on shelves at a university
    Robot rolls forward and raises its arm to stop the shelves from toppling on her
    But robot's previous antics, including escape attempts, have been branded fake

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4670544/Russian-robot-saves-girl-crushed.html#ixzz4m3hC3bm2

• Like 6

Being around a machine that is as intelligent as any computer and that learns to mimic human behavior would be, well, creepy.  I'd always be wondering if the darned thing were observing me and taking notes ;)   Also, how would we know when the thing became self-aware?  I'm not talking soul or spirit, of course.  I just mean, what would happen if the machine became SO adept at mimicking behavior that it began to fear termination?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, and then said:

Also, how would we know when the thing became self-aware?  I'm not talking soul or spirit, of course.  I just mean, what would happen if the machine became SO adept at mimicking behavior that it began to fear termination?

You'll know that the machine has become self aware when it says "Move any closer to the off switch and I'll post the most interesting parts of your entire internet history to your Mum"!

• Like 3

Why are there empty cardboard boxes there? The robot isn't even lined up with the shelf, had that been his purpose. Seems set up to me.

• Like 2

Add to the other evidence that the girl didn't run away looking for Mommy or Daddy either.  Sort of went nonchalantly away.

• Like 2

If this wasn't so obviously faked it would be a prime example of what makes robots so creepy. If it really did save the girl it would only be because it wanted her to grow up and be its servant. Like the article stated, " The future is for robots." Not exactly a pleasant thought.

• Like 1

Is it sinful to ignore the evidence that this story is faked ? And to use it to exemplify a "meme" that I personally love ? 

If so.. then ... Saruman... summon The Guild Of Moderators to cart me away and put me in a rubber room with plastic spoons. 

Isaac Asimov's "Three laws of robotics"

Rule One: A robot may not harm a human or - by inaction - allow a human to come to harm

Rules two and three: heck.. google them. 

:D 

Edited by RoofGardener

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. - Rupert Murdoch -Death of a Salesman.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 8:45 PM, EBE Hybrid said:

You'll know that the machine has become self aware when it says "Move any closer to the off switch and I'll post the most interesting parts of your entire internet history to your Mum"!

Even the very thought is terrifying! :D:lol:

On 7/7/2017 at 6:24 PM, TripGun said:

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. - Rupert Murdoch -Death of a Salesman.

That's an interesting viewpoint. Well-said!

Robophobia is an anxiety disorder in which the sufferer has an irrational fear of robots, drones, robot-like mechanics or artificial intelligence. It frequently results in a panic attack and can be triggered by certain stimuli or situations, such as viewing a robot, being near a robot, or even just talking about robots. 

http://www.robots-and-androids.com/Robophobia.html

• Like 3