Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teenage rape victim gets 30 years

eugenonegin

What a truly disgusting country.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

What a truly disgusting country.

What truly disgusting laws, is what I think you meant to say.

• Like 4

That's why i don't want the human race to move to other planets. They'll ruin them as well. This kind of decisions are disgusting...

• Like 2

I think this part is where they are enacting their laws: "The female judge accepted the prosecutor’s claims that Hernandez failed to seek antenatal care because she did not want the baby, and threw him into the toilet intending to kill him." "the judge went further and suggested that Hernandez could not have acted alone and that her mother may also be criminally responsible"

I don't know what the judge was provided that lead her to accept the claim or what suggested the mother had aided in some way but it seems this isn't about anything other than her alleged intention to kill the baby and disposing of it in a toilet. I'm not sure how other countries laws would look at the case but I'm sure the context of rape..etc would tie in plus the fact of her age and any other circumstances that lead to the event but the article indicates a summary of a lot of story left out.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

What truly disgusting laws, is what I think you meant to say.

Nope. I said what I meant and meant what I said. That country is horrifying.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Nope. I said what I meant and meant what I said. That country is horrifying.

As i have never been there i guess you would know more about it than i. I just like to think that all people are capable of the very best under the right circumstances.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

As i have never been there i guess you would know more about it than i. I just like to think that all people are capable of the very best under the right circumstances.  

I don't think you have to visit somewhere to know it's not a nice place.

And I didn't say the people were bad, in general. Just the society. Anywhere with such an archaic justice system simply cannot be a good or safe place to live. In general the country has been a mess since the Junta in the 70s.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

A network of activists in El Salvador say they won't stop fighting for Evelyn Beatriz Hernandez Cruz, a young woman who was handed a 30-year prison sentence last week for aggravated homicide after she gave birth to a stillborn baby.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.4201119/we-re-going-to-fight-el-salvador-teen-rape-victim-to-appeal-30-year-sentence-for-stillbirth-1.4201188

That poor girl.  I truly hope they can get her free.  Bloody ridiculous in this day and age.

• Like 2

On 8.7.2017 at 0:57 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

I don't think you have to visit somewhere to know it's not a nice place.

And I didn't say the people were bad, in general. Just the society. Anywhere with such an archaic justice system simply cannot be a good or safe place to live. In general the country has been a mess since the Junta in the 70s.

I think you do if you really want to know what it's like. I don't know how much you travel, but I have been to quite a few places with a bad rep or where I just thought it's going to be awful, and it wasn't at all. I'm not a big fan of bashing entire countries you really know nothing about, aside from a few newspaper articles.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, seanjo said:

Central America, it enforces Papal laws.

So there's a forum more apt than 'Other parts of the World'

Edited by Golden Duck

Yeah but Americas forum gets dominated by news from US and Canada, which is not really fair since lots of interesting things happening between Mexico and Argentina.

Could make sense to have "Latin America & Caribbean" forum and a "USA & Canada" forum separate, if someone suggest it to Saru :sm

• Like 1

Wow. Unbelievable. Hasn't she suffered enough?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

Yeah but Americas forum gets dominated by news from US and Canada, which is not really fair since lots of interesting things happening between Mexico and Argentina.

Could make sense to have "Latin America & Caribbean" forum and a "USA & Canada" forum separate, if someone suggest it to Saru :sm

I just noticed this was posted in the Americas forum but merged here.

The description of 'geographical' news forums are clear enough.

If the problem you describe is real, it's still no reason ignore the system that's in place.

5 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

I just noticed this was posted in the Americas forum but merged here.

The description of 'geographical' news forums are clear enough.

If the problem you describe is real, it's still no reason ignore the system that's in place.

Sure I don't ignore it myself just noticed the tendency, it even affect mods if they merged it here rather than there. :sm

• Like 2

On 13/07/2017 at 9:19 AM, FLOMBIE said:

I think you do if you really want to know what it's like. I don't know how much you travel, but I have been to quite a few places with a bad rep or where I just thought it's going to be awful, and it wasn't at all. I'm not a big fan of bashing entire countries you really know nothing about, aside from a few newspaper articles.  

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/el-salvador

Yep this country is truly horrific.

Quote:

"Violent crime—including homicide, armed robbery, carjacking, rape and kidnapping—is a serious problem throughout EL Salvador and is escalating dramatically."

I think I'll give this one a miss.

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon

23 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

I agree.

I am the OP, I think I posted in "other world news" although I know this is Central America.

I guess I was thinking the US and Canada are too similar to Europe to be included with Central America and South America- their cultures, language, and economise are so different, for example Peru and New York.

Edited by eugeneonegin

19 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/el-salvador

Yep this country is truly horrific.

Quote:

"Violent crime—including homicide, armed robbery, carjacking, rape and kidnapping—is a serious problem throughout EL Salvador and is escalating dramatically."

I think I'll give this one a miss.

Sounds like the US. ;)

14 minutes ago, Stardrive said:

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

Risk level(s)

UNITED STATES - Exercise normal security precautions

There is no nationwide advisory in effect for the United States (U.S.). Exercise normal security precautions.

The German department of foreign affairs issues a strong warning for crime in the US. But you know what? I was making a joke! 

• Like 1

I was wondering what the German's had to say about it. Thanks. The link is a Canadian travel guide. And I know you were just embellishing, all is good lol  Out of curiosity, what did the German department of foreign affairs have to say about El Salvador?

It issues an even stronger warning for crime, talks about rival gangs and their wars, kidnapping, but also that tourists and foreigners are not particularly being targeted. It also gives advice to not use public buses, because they are frequent attacks on them, and because the buses seem to be basically falling apart. 

And I'm glad you caught me in the right light. icon_beer.gif

I'd say those buses are a reflection of the state of the country in general....if you know what I mean. :whistle:

Cheers!

She is not being punished for being raped, she is being punished for not doing all she can to save the live of the neonate.

The point is,is 30 years sentence  justified?

The baby was dying anyway, but she could have called emergency services to see what could have been done.

She didn't, because she didn't want the baby anyway as it was the product of a brutal rape.

If the baby had lived, she would have been responsible for caring for it for the rest of it's life, and it may have needed extra, expensive care all of it's life, as it had been deprived of neonatal care at birth.